Author Topic: HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2  (Read 5315 times)

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« on: Thu, 14 August 2008, 17:56:53 »
Has anyone used both the older Lite and the current Lite 2?

If so, how does the key feel compare? In photos it looks like the Lite is the same size as the pro while the Lite 2 is bigger, is that correct? Will someone who considers a Model M the standard to compare to be reasonable happy with a HHKB Lite?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 August 2008, 18:08:35 »
I have. The Lite 2 feels like crap, the Lite 1 feels all right. The Lite 1 is the same size as the Pro 2 (which I also own), and if you like the M as a standard, you'll hate the Lites and love the Pro2, even though it is not clicky.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 August 2008, 19:54:26 »
Quote from: graywolf;7346
Has anyone used both the older Lite and the current Lite 2?

If so, how does the key feel compare? In photos it looks like the Lite is the same size as the pro while the Lite 2 is bigger, is that correct? Will someone who considers a Model M the standard to compare to be reasonable happy with a HHKB Lite?

Sorry.  Unfortunately, you'll have to bite the bullet and save up for the Pro...the Lite is no substitute and you won't like it.

Offline Waves77

HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 August 2008, 20:29:18 »
I own a Lite 2 as well and I have to agree: it's absolute crap, ESPECIALLY compared to a model M, the lite 2 has a very gummy feel to the keys. I'd rather typer on a cheap dell board ;)
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline bigpook

HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 August 2008, 20:32:15 »
I have a Lite 2 also, while I won't say it is absolute crap, it in no way compares to my model M's.  I would say the Lite 2 is a higher quality rubber dome key board. All in all, I think you are paying for the form factor, not the keys.
From what I understand, you get the form factor and the keys when you go to the HHKB Pro 2.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 06:14:00 »
Is there a basic comparison of what the HHKB Pro 'boards feel like?  I don't particularly care for the layout (I like BIG keyboards :) ), and the cost is prohibitive, so I don't think I will ever buy one, but I would like to know how it is to type on the capacitive switches.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 08:16:44 »
Well, there is always the Topre Realforce 101... (or the Korea-only Realforce 86, if you don't want a numpad...) made by the same company, using the same capacitive switches.

Offline Korbin

HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 09:21:18 »
Quote from: itlnstln;7364
Is there a basic comparison of what the HHKB Pro 'boards feel like?  I don't particularly care for the layout (I like BIG keyboards :) ), and the cost is prohibitive, so I don't think I will ever buy one, but I would like to know how it is to type on the capacitive switches.

I don't think there is any other board that comes close to what the HHKB pro feels like. It's a different key action all together IMO.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline Bluemercury

HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 09:40:18 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;7365
Well, there is always the Topre Realforce 101... (or the Korea-only Realforce 86, if you don't want a numpad...) made by the same company, using the same capacitive switches.

I've seen some topre keyboards on the benippon site and they're also expensive.....they use the same switch or tech of HHKp2 then?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline parisnight

HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 10:06:00 »
As I understand it the HHKB switches all require equal force to depress while the switches on Topre branded keyboard has lighter touch to match the weaker fingers, hence the name RealForce.  I wonder which would feel better.  I think pianos are regulated to keep the force even between keys, even those on the periphery.

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 12:48:40 »
Quote from: iMav;7357
Sorry.  Unfortunately, you'll have to bite the bullet and save up for the Pro...the Lite is no substitute and you won't like it.

Well, unfortunately if it has to be the Pro, I am not ever going to have one unless someone just gives it to me (SIGH!). In my introductory post I mentioned, that I considered the Keytronics to be the minimum usable keyboard, how would the original HHKB Lite compare in feel to them?

As someone who learnd to type on a pre-WWII mechanical portable typewriter --My mom got it as a HS graduation gift in 1939, and let me use it as a kid as long as I used all ten fingers-- I like the idea of what is basically a typewriter layout keyboard. However, even if I could afford it, I am not going to pay $300+ to find out if I like using one as much as I like the idea of one.

There does seem to be some new-old-stock Lites available out there at reasonable prices. The Lite-2 seems to me to have been designed by the marketing department, to do away with the "problems" the unwashed "thought" the Lite (and the Pro) had. In other words, they thought it would sell better to the hunt-and-peckers of the world.

Offline itlnstln

HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 14:25:52 »
they thought it would sell better to the hunt-and-peckers of the world

Or just the peckers of the world...

Offline itlnstln

HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 14:27:22 »
Are the switches linear kinda like black Cherries, or are do they have some tactility to them (the Pro switches, that is)?

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 17:11:51 »
Quote from: parisnight;7371
As I understand it the HHKB switches all require equal force to depress while the switches on Topre branded keyboard has lighter touch to match the weaker fingers, hence the name RealForce.  I wonder which would feel better.  I think pianos are regulated to keep the force even between keys, even those on the periphery.

There's actually a couple different schools of thought on this, with conflicting research.

I do know that IBM's research indicated that equal force for all keys was better, and that's why the Model M is equal force.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 21:01:55 »
Quote from: itlnstln;7380
Are the switches linear kinda like black Cherries, or are do they have some tactility to them (the Pro switches, that is)?

There is some tactile feel to them.  About as subtle as the Cherry browns but, at the same time, providing a bit more resistance (if that makes any sense).  

As many have stated here...I have YET to meet a HHKB Pro owner that doesn't adore their keyboard.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 21:44:04 »
It's a shame that all you can try in stores here are Microsoft and Logitech rubber domes and scissor-switch boards. :( Cherry, PFU, and Unicomp would probably do better if their products were in stores. (Then again, Unicomp might not - all the keycaps would get stolen off the display models. :p)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Lite vs. Lite 2
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 August 2008, 00:29:33 »
I think the HHKB Pro 2 has a firmer touch than the browns and are more tactile. They are just better feeling switches I think. Look, it is a damned expensive keyboard, but it is wildly popular. That speaks volumes about it.