Author Topic: Has anyone ever painted their case two-tone?  (Read 3125 times)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Has anyone ever painted their case two-tone?
« on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:00:20 »
Hello.

I want to use Dupli Color Dye Vinyl on my Poker 2 case. The catch is I want to do it in two colors. I have made some mock-ups in Photoshop on how it would look.

These are the colors: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dupli-Color-Dye-Vinyl-and-Fabric-Coating-Gloss-Medium-Blue-11-oz-Aerosol-Ea-/330924816125?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item4d0ca7f6fd&vxp=mtr and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dupli-Color-Dye-Vinyl-and-Fabric-Coating-Gloss-Red-11-oz-Aerosol-Ea-HVP107-/390605688709?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5af1e9cf85&vxp=mtr.

Back

Side

I plan on taping the center part, and painting the whole thing blue. Then taping the rest and painting the middle red.
The question I had is, does anyone have experience painting it in two tones? Would it make the layers uneven? Does vinyl dye leave a thick layer when applied?
Is this a good idea? Am I out of my mind?

Also, what is the smoothest, highest recommended painting method? Plasti dip? Dip dye? Or this vinyl dye?

PS I'm not set on these colors, but its definitely an option for me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:07:56 by kenmai9 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Has anyone ever painted their case two-tone?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 07:47:26 »
My teenage son and I did a "faux-camo" Model M. We used both masking tape and cardboard shields, and Krylon spray paint and Dupli-Color dye.

The layers did not have enough thickness to feel, with a few exceptions, such as above the F5 key where we ended up multiple layers thick against virgin beige plastic.

I have had very good luck with Dupli-Color.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 08:28:01 »
Really like how that looks. Please post a log of the process if you decide to move forward so that I can follow in your footsteps.  ;D

Offline UniClown

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 13:01:22 »
I would definitely do something similar on my case. Possibly a red/white/blue America keyboard.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:35:26 »
My teenage son and I did a "faux-camo" Model M. We used both masking tape and cardboard shields, and Krylon spray paint and Dupli-Color dye.

The layers did not have enough thickness to feel, with a few exceptions, such as above the F5 key where we ended up multiple layers thick against virgin beige plastic.

I have had very good luck with Dupli-Color.

Did you do the krylon first or the dupli color first? Which caused the uneven thickness. Yours looks nice by the way!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 16:47:09 »

Did you do the krylon first or the dupli color first? Which caused the uneven thickness. Yours looks nice by the way!

There were multiple layers for each color. Individual layers were quite thin, but after about 4 some thickness started to build up. It showed up most where the lowest level of tape was on the original beige plastic, and removing tape took off the "deepest pile" of pigment.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 20:55:56 »

There were multiple layers for each color. Individual layers were quite thin, but after about 4 some thickness started to build up. It showed up most where the lowest level of tape was on the original beige plastic, and removing tape took off the "deepest pile" of pigment.

shouldn't spraying over it with clear coat even things up a bit between the high-low paint spots?
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 03:05:22 »
Do you guys think I should use a clear coat? How about sanding it prior? I've heard bout doing that but I'm not sure what the effect of that is. I'm gonna order the vinyl paint right now. :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 03:26:10 »
Do you guys think I should use a clear coat? How about sanding it prior? I've heard bout doing that but I'm not sure what the effect of that is. I'm gonna order the vinyl paint right now. :)

I didn't use Duplicolor, but I gave my painted cases a nice gentle sanding before painting them and I did a clear coat.  I don't know if Duplicolor needs it, but I also use a plastic primer.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 03:53:08 »

I didn't use Duplicolor, but I gave my painted cases a nice gentle sanding before painting them and I did a clear coat.  I don't know if Duplicolor needs it, but I also use a plastic primer.

I think I'm gonna go with VHT vinyl dye, because it actually dyes the plastic. I'm gonna start off with a red stripe on my already black case, and see how that looks. If it looks nice I'll paint the rest charcoal. Here's a pic of my plan. I think it'll go nice with my RoW/RoG Klaxon set coming tomorrow.

Ordering tonight! :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 June 2013, 03:54:47 by kenmai9 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 04:07:39 »
Make sure to get a white vinyl dye so you can actually do the other colors.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 06:21:19 »
I have used VHT several times on mice, old PC case fronts. Also duplicolor and other brands few times when wasn't able to get VHT. White is no need, can make black to red for example. When using vinyl dye, no sanding unless you don't want pebbled texture of plastics. Best to just leave it my opinion as it looks more like original manufacture that way. I made some PC case front, with stripe like this, plus logo text on the stripe and there is no thickness build up. Vinyl dyes is much 'thinner' than paint and doesn't build up in that way.
Please, don't forget to wear respirator mask when working with vinyl dye, or your lungs will be melted. Breathing that stuff is really very nasty.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 06:49:50 »
I have used VHT several times on mice, old PC case fronts. Also duplicolor and other brands few times when wasn't able to get VHT. White is no need, can make black to red for example. When using vinyl dye, no sanding unless you don't want pebbled texture of plastics. Best to just leave it my opinion as it looks more like original manufacture that way. I made some PC case front, with stripe like this, plus logo text on the stripe and there is no thickness build up. Vinyl dyes is much 'thinner' than paint and doesn't build up in that way.
Please, don't forget to wear respirator mask when working with vinyl dye, or your lungs will be melted. Breathing that stuff is really very nasty.

Thanks for the great info! So I guess I should do it outdoors? Do I need to worry about dust or dirt? Or should I do it in my garage with the door open?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 07:11:20 »
Yes absolutely good ventilation is a must. I would try doing it outdoors on a not windy day so you don't have to worry about dust too much. But it has a very quick drying time too so dust getting stuck on it is not as much a problem as with regular paint.