Author Topic: Starcraft 1+ Brood War  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Narcix

Starcraft 1+ Brood War
« on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:49:49 »
Hello, soon it'll be a friend's of mine birthday, and since he likes old school games (warcraft 3 is his favourite), i wanted to buy him starcraft 1 + brood war....
he never played it cos in the game's "golden era", he was interested in other things,....
i think it would be pretty nice, since after learning the basics with campaign you can spends tons of time ranking up in multiplayer n stuff  like that :)
what do you think?
Keycool 87 Grey PBT with mx blues

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
Re: Starcraft 1+ Brood War
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:57:21 »
If I remember it correctly, it was released for free and can be downloaded from blizzard nowdays, just fyi.

Edit: Nevermind, it was a limited thing before the launch of SC2 as a promo thing. It was free for a while though.

It is an excellent idea, great game.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:08:33 »
If I remember it correctly, it was released for free and can be downloaded from blizzard nowdays, just fyi.

Edit: Nevermind, it was a limited thing before the launch of SC2 as a promo thing. It was free for a while though.

It is an excellent idea, great game.
just 1 question....do you have any chance of finding some1 for multiplayer or the community is dead?

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:13:36 »
I believe what is left of the SC1 community are the really hardcore players, and it might be hard to get good at it if you are constantly beaten. You'll probably be able to find more casual gameplay in SC2 were I would guess most of the community has migrated. I haven't followed it. You may find some answers on Teamliquid.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:16:41 »
I believe what is left of the SC1 community are the really hardcore players, and it might be hard to get good at it if you are constantly beaten. You'll probably be able to find more casual gameplay in SC2 were I would guess most of the community has migrated. I haven't followed it. You may find some answers on Teamliquid.
thanks for the help :)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:23:18 »
Ok, I never played SC back in the day and so when SC2 was annouced I dived in to see what the fuss was about... and my god is its SP pretty ****ing hard for someone not used to it at all... honestly I think SC2 does a much better job of teaching you how to play those games.. as being a beginner it can be pretty brutal.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:55:06 »
The Broodwar community is still around, but yeah it's mostly oldtimer hardcore people now.  And on top of that, Broodwar is a much harder game to become decent at than SC2.

I believe there is a beginners clan that you can join on iCCUP.  This TL thread looks like a promising place to start.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 07:20:51 »
I've recently finished the original SC single player. It's rather easy, repetitive, and overall nothing outstanding—except some strong moments in the story line. However, there are plenty of interesting community-made campaigns.

Brood War still has active multiplayer community.