Author Topic: USB DAC?  (Read 9499 times)

Offline SOROBORU88

USB DAC?
« on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 03:31:04 »
Hello everyone, I've started to use a desktop PC and currently I'm using a Turtlebeach X11 xbox headset to produce soud. But the background noise (which is somehow typical for this kind of headsets) is killing me.

Would someone recommend good but cheap USB DAC to use with my Sennheiser PX100 II? I use microphone very occasionally, so there is no reason to use headset and I don't like loud music so no reason to use speakers. And my MB sound output is horrible by the way...

Thank you very much :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: USB DAC?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 03:54:22 »
The Shiit Modi has a USB input. I have the Bifrost, which I pair with my Lyr amp and I love them both dearly.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 04:25:02 »
Thought I said "cheap" :D I can't even get it here in the Czech Republic :D But thanks, looks great. If I only wasn't such a savage...

Offline nil

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 04:29:04 »
Do you already have an Amp? It also looks like a pretty generic headphone (a headset at that), so I'm not sure how worthy a DAC would be for a SQ to price ratio. I'd recommend either going for a better headset (purchase decent hi-fi headphones an attachable mic), or going for an Amp. Getting a DAC seems overkill for a $30 headset.
Keyboard: On the perpetual, holy grail quest for my own GH60.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 04:39:23 »
Good point. Apart the Turtlebeach, they are just temporary, that's why I'm searching for DAC with volume control - something for my senns. My senns are 50 USD worth, they are light open headphones, since I don't like the feeling that I'm isolated from my surroundings. I would buy a headset (something like steelseries or whatever), but I only listen to music and youtube vids. And when I play DOTA or LOL I usually don't communicate :D

I found this, worth 50 USD: http://www.sluchatka.net/behringer-uca-222/

Offline nil

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 04:47:09 »
DACs are generally made to be paired with a Amp. After all, their output source is not meant for headphones at all, though I guess you can cheat by using some adapter cable. If you want to save money, you can try looking for some Amp/DAC combos, but yeah, in terms of getting the most bang out of your buck, it goes: Headphones > Amp > DAC. Don't have good headphones or an amp? Don't get a DAC. :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 05:04:44 »
Maybe a FiiO or a NuForce then? There's a bunch of models that range from about $50-100 USD. The FiiO E07k or E7 are both decent models.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 05:09:52 »
I have a pretty nice DAC for my headphones but I also have a Fiio D3 I use for my TV and speakers that works perfectly! Should help eliminate the noise you're getting.
http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371377340&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+d3

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 05:15:20 »
OK OK, I think I'm too dumb :D I was thinking something like FiiO E10 OLYMPUS. Connected with PC via USB. Clear soun from PC via this FiiO to the headphones. Manual volume controll.

I saw a video with this FiiO. Dude was using his Mac, plugged the FiiO to the Mac, plugged headphones to the FiiO and listened to music. Mac didn't use speakers.

I have PC and android phone, I don't need amp with iPhone support.

Thank you for all your answers. You are very helpful :)

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 05:16:28 »
I have a pretty nice DAC for my headphones but I also have a Fiio D3 I use for my TV and speakers that works perfectly! Should help eliminate the noise you're getting.
http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371377340&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+d3

Pretty cool, it's small, I like it :) But where is the volume ccontroll?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 06:51:17 »
It seems to me you might be better to get a USB soundcard, maybe something like this:

I would guess these or something similar should be available locally.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 06:57:27 »
Well, it seemed to me at first, but since the desktop's MB will have a soundcard, there is no need for external soundcard. This is FiiO E10 review:

I would like to have something similar. Only cheaper, if it is possible. I want to use it with my desktop PC. I don't want to buy speakers or expensive heavy headset.

Offline nil

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 07:31:35 »
You can't really go any cheaper than $75 for an Amp/DAC combo without it being plain snake oil.. Entry-level DACs are generally at $100 alone.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 07:52:33 »
Hmm, truth 2 dat.  Question is, if it is worth to buy a AMP and DAC combo (as you say), or just pick considerably good headset and plug it to the MB. Only thing I know is, that I don't want to use speakers.

I love to browse through the media section and look at the pictures of your setups. I like the setups with AMPS/DACS, they are nice and clean. I recently bought this headphones and they are the best I have ever had. Even when they are quite cheap.

I thought I could use them with the Fiio E10 or something similar.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 10:46:27 »
Fiio E11 or something like that at sluchatka.net. It's the easiest choice.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 13:36:25 »
I was thinking FiiO E10 from the beginning.  I just thought, that there would be something cheaper :D If I chose E10, would my headphones (Sennheiser PX100 II) be propriate? Or should I consider buying new ones?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 14:06:19 »
PX100 don't really benefit from dedicated amp, you only get rid of background noise. If you upgrade to some better cans, E10 will probably still be enough to drive them.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 14:07:36 »
If you just want a solid amp/dac combo that will future-proof you if you buy better headphones just get in on the massdrop E17 buy, I think they're just $90 now, which is amazing. I would've picked one up if I actually had a portable setup -_-

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 15:38:03 »
I understand. I have overestimated my senns :D I'm not really in the mood to buy new headphones since my senns are precisely what I want. I have considered a good quality headset, but what I've read, almost all of current gaming headsets suffer from the background noise (like my TB X11). This is a kind of thing I hate and keeps me off using this headset. But I do like the volume controll on the remote on the headset cable. That's why I like the Fiio E10.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 16:20:29 »
If you just want a solid amp/dac combo that will future-proof you if you buy better headphones just get in on the massdrop E17 buy, I think they're just $90 now, which is amazing. I would've picked one up if I actually had a portable setup -_-

I've looked into that. Unfortunately, it was $130 including shipping and VAT IIRC. E17 can be had for $170 here—with two-year EU warranty, and shipped in 24 hours. I'm not really sure, if that massdrop is worth it.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 17:31:36 »
If you're just looking to get pass your noisy computer, then something like the hifimediy dac would do. Otherwise I'd probably go for the E07k over the e10. Better specs and more features for just a little bit more money.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 June 2013, 17:59:25 by thegunner100 »
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 18:03:53 »
Looks good, thanks :)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 18:09:14 »
Np! Let us know what you decide to go with :D
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 06:34:50 »
Surely I will :D But it seems, that buying E10 is too much for my PX100 and new headphones should be cans, which I don't like very much.

I would like to have something with direct volume controll knob. I like that feature both on E10 and gaming headsets. But since I don't game very often, gaming headset is also a waste of money for me. But I'm open to suggestions :)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 14:35:34 »
If you're looking for a new pair of headphones, post your preferences and budget over at the headphones thread and perhaps me and a couple of other people can give you suggestions.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=13775.msg931365#msg931365

Offline Jack Karneval

• I'm gunna pop some keys, only got $20 in my pocket
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 17:37:34 »
Asus is coming out with what looks like a really nice USB DAC soon, here's a link...

https://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STU/
: CM Storm Trigger (MX Green) : KBT Pure Pro (MX Blue) :

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 18:14:03 »
I've tried the E-MU 0404 and it did not reduce noise.  Same with a bunch of other stuff. 
However, I have had luck with 2 sound cards.  The Sound Blaster Live! and the Asus Xonar Essence STX.  Both completely eliminated the noise I was getting over the PCI bus.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 23:46:29 »
I've tried the E-MU 0404 and it did not reduce noise.  Same with a bunch of other stuff. 
However, I have had luck with 2 sound cards.  The Sound Blaster Live! and the Asus Xonar Essence STX.  Both completely eliminated the noise I was getting over the PCI bus.

Ok, nice solution as well. And I assume, you use a headset, rigt?

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 05:04:06 »
I came with an idea. If I want to use the FiiO E10, which pretty much suits my needs (volume knob, connects directly via USB, no features I don't need), whould headphones would you all agree would be best to use with it? Assuming, they must be entry level and not much expensive :D

Thank you all :)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 06:22:32 »
Budgets and music preferences? Recommending something will be a little be harder since you live outside the U.S.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 06:46:08 »
Understood. Music genre is different, since I listen to almost every genre there is, from pop across rock to dub step. Lately I've become fond of indie music (that should mean I like it :D ).

Budget is 150 USD is top max, I woul rather to have headphones around the 100 USD limit. But I've found Grado Prestige SR60i. Look good and they use the same open system like my Sennheiser PX100 II.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 07:22:33 »
If you're happy with soldering and can source all the components then you could probably just build an O2 and buy an ODAC for your $150.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 07:52:44 »
The grado sr60i or sr80i is a decent choice, but its not a great all-rounder. It has a very aggressive sound signature with emphasized treble. It will lack bass for some of the music that you may listen to but I guess since you're coming from the px-100 ii, then it is about the same. Hmm, well yeah should be a decent upgrade then. But I'd recommend trying them out before buying if you can, since you might be sensitive to the treble. Or buy from a place with a good return policy.

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 08:00:39 »
The grado sr60i or sr80i is a decent choice, but its not a great all-rounder. It has a very aggressive sound signature with emphasized treble. It will lack bass for some of the music that you may listen to but I guess since you're coming from the px-100 ii, then it is about the same. Hmm, well yeah should be a decent upgrade then. But I'd recommend trying them out before buying if you can, since you might be sensitive to the treble. Or buy from a place with a good return policy.

Also, having tried them first hand, they aren't that comfortable either... those ear pads are just bloody weird... Circumaural all the way baby!

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 08:27:55 »
I can't try ANY headphones here in the Czech Republic. Local shop don't offer this service, since czech people tend to steal and local sellers are not customer friendly and most of them are dumb as f***. This is how it is.

I saw a picture in one of your posts in the desk setups. It was picture with a table and two silver speakers, which had a remote controll on the cable and there was a volume knob (nice!) and I believe there was also a 3,5 input jack.

Is it possible? It might be enough for me. Maybe better and cheaper choice than AMP and new headphones.

(I am sorry for my behavior, once it's a 100 USD worth DAC and 150 USD worth heaphones and then it's cheap speakers. It's because I don't know all the possible solutions of managing the computer setup other than inside the case setup. Once again, sorry.)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 08:39:23 »
Whose picture? Maybe link it so i have a better idea of what you're talking about. That's unfortunate that you can't try out any headphones in your local stores =/.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 09:11:22 »
Sir/Madam, I wouldn't even want to try. I don't want to risk getting cooties (??? - We say "breberky") and even if there is possibility, it would probably be overused product, not giving an exact performance.

Therefore I will buy anything you recommend.

I don't remember the picture, it is far too deep in the thread. There is another picture attached. In the thread it was a 2.0 set (I think). Probably a normal set of computer speakers with remote controll on the cable feature.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:39:20 »
Ahh I see. I wouldn't recommend plugging your headphones into the volume control of a set of speakers as the headphone out is very noisy there. What is the price of the sr60i, sr80i, and HD 558 over there? If you can squeeze out some extra money for the senns, then those would be better upg than the grados imo. There's also the ath ad700 which are open, but fairly large. They lack bass, from what I've read, but probably better all-founders than the grados. There are also some in-line volume cables that you can get too, such as the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC20-Volume-Control/dp/B00001P4XH/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&amp;amp;qid=1371569824&amp;amp;sr=8-2&amp;amp;keywords=in+line+volume+cable

Lemme know if any of those are to your liking. Oh, and it's sir :P

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 11:37:35 »
Sennheiser HD 558 I can buy for 148 USD + shipping. I would rather choose Sennheisers. I understand, that Audio Technica's headphones are quite popular, but they are far to expensive for me and myy needs.

This type of volume controll seems too amateur to me, I could solder something like that by myself :D I liked the DAC idea because of the clarity of the sound and the direct volume controll.

If the speakers are out, which I expected, the only solution of better sound and easy acces to volume controll is to buy USB DAC and headphones.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 12:50:53 »
Okay great! Once (if) you get the hd 558, you can do this simple mod to make it sound better. How much money will you have left after the headphones for a dac/amp?
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2013, 12:52:24 by thegunner100 »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:13:09 »
I can't try ANY headphones here in the Czech Republic. Local shop don't offer this service, since czech people tend to steal and local sellers are not customer friendly and most of them are dumb as f***. This is how it is.

Except you can.

At about ~100 EUR, you're limited to HD 518/558, ATH-AD500 and SR60. I have HD 565, ATs and grados... my recommendation is HD 5x8 because of comfort and sound signature.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 14:05:44 »

Except you can.

At about ~100 EUR, you're limited to HD 518/558, ATH-AD500 and SR60. I have HD 565, ATs and grados... my recommendation is HD 5x8 because of comfort and sound signature.

Sincerely, I didn't know about this service and I have headphones from this shop. I will announce my intentions to my wallet and begin the negotiation.

But if the negotiation would fail, I prepared the plan B. This: http://www.czc.cz/creative-labs-gigaworks-t20-series-ii_2/61827/produkt?q-c-0-f_2025863=s2.0&q-category-id=0bqs53vn1uj5caci4i1qdjta39&q-c-1-price=r260-2000&q-c-2-producer=sfsj1ie63a8f1lbr5vis0875387

I believe it's the way of minimal resistance, as we Czechs sometimes say.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 14:09:41 »
Okay great! Once (if) you get the hd 558, you can do this simple mod to make it sound better. How much money will you have left after the headphones for a dac/amp?

Well, it would be the biggiest investment I have ever done. I would probably wait for some time and hope that the price will go down a little. Therefore I would settle it for FiiO E10 as a USB DAC and Sennheiser HD 558 for headphones.

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 14:53:43 »

Well, it would be the biggiest investment I have ever done. I would probably wait for some time and hope that the price will go down a little. Therefore I would settle it for FiiO E10 as a USB DAC and Sennheiser HD 558 for headphones.

Keep an eye on the price of the HD 558's on Amazon as well as B&H Photo. They usually have great prices on headphones and Amazon is where I got my HD 555s for a really awesome price.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 15:09:56 »
Not sure Amazon ships free to the Czech Republic.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 15:32:11 »

Sounds good. PM or post in headphone thread if you have any more questions.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 17:32:49 »

Ok, nice solution as well. And I assume, you use a headset, rigt?

Yeah, was using high sensitivity headphones.  Oh, I use Sennheiser HD600 now. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2013, 17:35:41 by PointyFox »

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 10:16:34 »
Well, I have a heretic idea. I was browsing through one of local seller's store and found this: http://www.czc.cz/creative-tactic3d-sigma/85219/produkt?q-c-1-f_2029674=sUSB&q-c-0-f_2026451=t1&q-category-id=6obmvalisihgeaj3manv5d3vg1&q-c-2-price=r200-2000

It' connected via USB, using a mini soud card, it has a volume control on the cable a nd it looks comfy. If only it was possible tu turn off the 3D sound effect.

What would you say?

I checked my bank account and the DAC and headphones are a faraway dream :( So the USB headset is one way, or a normal speakers and I can use my senns for a quiet setting with te speakers.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 10:26:40 »
I think if you don't use the THX usb dongle, then you will just get normal stereo sound. I can't say much about the sound quality, but I wouldn't be surprised if the px 100 II was on-par or better than a gaming headset.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 10:35:58 »
I was afraid you would say that. I liked the USB mini soundcard for clear sound. However, this headset is clearly made for games where 3D effect is mandatory.

If just bought Creativ usb soundcard, like this (http://www.czc.cz/creative-sound-blaster-play/66773/produkt?q-category-id=47obq3p5oqh2q88pjh1qhvsoka)and the random headset. Would I get clear sound without background noise?