Author Topic: Who makes relegendable buckling spring caps?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Who makes relegendable buckling spring caps?
« on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 13:13:40 »
I was salivating at these pictures:

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9523/subcatid/0/id/152233

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/10191/subcatid/0/id/531775

Is there any way I can get hold of relegendable buckling spring keycaps? I'm perpetutually forgetting what I remapped something to and have to keep written records.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline nsrexler

Re: Who makes relegendable buckling spring caps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 13:22:05 »
Interesting... since Model M keycaps are normally two-piece anyway, all you'd really have to do to make this work is to get clear polycarbonate or acrylic top pieces. I don't know much about plastic part manufacturing so I don't know how difficult this would be.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 13:42:40 »
Look here for clear key tops to Model M two piece keys-

http://www.fentek-ind.com/keys.htm#custom_keycaps

I thought Unicomp had them at one point too. But if you just want colored keys Unicomp will have those-

http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/Buttons
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 07:07:01 »
Hey Clickclack

Since you are a vendor, you have experience in these things, right?

I actually sent two emails to fentek months ago and they never replied. I heard they are not really interested in retail buyers like me. I don’t mind putting in an order all the same, but I don’t like to buy from sellers with whom there is no communication.

I just want to know if you have anything negative to say about fentek. I don’t want unpleasant surprises. Because I’m shipping the keycaps abroad from my US proxy shipper, if orders get messed up it’s hard to rectify.

Look here for clear key tops to Model M two piece keys-

http://www.fentek-ind.com/keys.htm#custom_keycaps

I thought Unicomp had them at one point too. But if you just want colored keys Unicomp will have those-

http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/Buttons
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 14:26:17 »
IBM used to make some. I have clear keytops from IBM that came with one of my F's. I have catalogued at least four different styles, which work better or worse.

How many do you need? I think I might have a few spares I can mail you.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 15:45:17 »
Hey Clickclack

Since you are a vendor, you have experience in these things, right?

I actually sent two emails to fentek months ago and they never replied. I heard they are not really interested in retail buyers like me. I don’t mind putting in an order all the same, but I don’t like to buy from sellers with whom there is no communication.

I just want to know if you have anything negative to say about fentek. I don’t want unpleasant surprises. Because I’m shipping the keycaps abroad from my US proxy shipper, if orders get messed up it’s hard to rectify.

Hi berserkfan,

I have not had any issues with Fentek. It's been a very long time since I got anything from them though. There was a member here on geekhack named MsKeyboard and she worked for Fentek and was a liason of sorts for us here for quite some time. but I don't think I have seen her around in a while (a bit before the rootwoormy thingy).

I personally wouldn't have any hesitation in doing business with them again.

-cc   =)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 16:03:17 »
Hey Dorkvader

I'm not sure how many I need, but I definitely could use quite a number. I have a Space Unsaver with 24 function keys and there is that lovely set of 10 keys on the left. I actually mod more keys than that, but at least I can remember the other keys due to their standard location across all my keyboards. So originally I was thinking of buying 30 relegendables from Fentek except that's not exactly cheap so I was waiting to hear from ClickClak.

"I personally wouldn't have any hesitation in doing business with them again." is about as solid a recommendation as anyone can give, I think.

How many can you spare and what would you like for them? I'm not particular about how a relegendable looks as long as it fits on a Model M key, and doesn't have any nasty cracks.

You have actually catalogued FOUR styles? I'm amazed. Even relegendables can be so different!

IBM used to make some. I have clear keytops from IBM that came with one of my F's. I have catalogued at least four different styles, which work better or worse.

How many do you need? I think I might have a few spares I can mail you.