Author Topic: What did this Chinese guy do when he can't get a Duck Poker Case  (Read 2061 times)

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
Here's a link to the Chinese message boards.

He basically replicated it, and claimed to have improved on the design and used better materials.
Original Duck Poker used 6061 Aluminum. He used 7075.

http://www.pcwaishe.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=499961
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 June 2013, 15:52:40 by kaiserreich »

Offline jabar

Re: What did this Chinese guy do when he can't get a Duck Poker Case
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 16:07:00 »
Design and build time notwithstanding, probably paid less too.

The added weights is real cool.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 16:53:05 »
If I ever go to all the expense and trouble to make a keyboard case (chances are somewhere between slim and none)... I'm going with tungsten carbide all the way.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 17:20:32 »
If I ever go to all the expense and trouble to make a keyboard case (chances are somewhere between slim and none)... I'm going with tungsten carbide all the way.

Tungsten carbide is nice and all, but a real ***** to machine. That's why they use it in the tooling. If you're like me and you live near a lot of machine shops though, let's just say possibilities are limitless and costs are low.

For example, I've talked with one shop about producing new (yes, brand new) Model M backplates in carbon-steel using an '87 as a template, stamped with tighter thickness tolerances than the original. If you wanted them in Ti or Al? Also possible. All using the exact same method IBM did. If I wanted a fully machined Model M chassis? Believe me, they could do it - easily.

... hell, I should do an IC on that. Though the templating costs would be pretty high.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 17:31:31 »
Great looking case :)  I do get sad though when I see people anodizing metal in solid colors, like solid flat black :(  Transparent anodizing looks so much better, or even plain clear coat over brushed metal.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 11:27:05 »
For example, I've talked with one shop about producing new (yes, brand new) Model M backplates in carbon-steel using an '87 as a template, stamped with tighter thickness tolerances than the original. If you wanted them in Ti or Al? Also possible. All using the exact same method IBM did. If I wanted a fully machined Model M chassis? Believe me, they could do it - easily.

... hell, I should do an IC on that. Though the templating costs would be pretty high.

Ooh, I'd have interest in that. Though what you should really do is rework the Unicomp Ultra Classic with a new plate and enclosure. That way we'd have the Windows key that's really necessary these days, and build quality that meets or exceeds a vintage Model M, with all brand-new parts.

This is assuming that Unicomp is going to continue to produce keyboards, of course. How long have they been out of stock on everything now?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 11:31:29 »
I can't blame him. The duck poker is a beautiful case. It's one of my all time favourites. Despite this it's EXTREMELY simple and I imagine it wasn't too hard for him to replicate it. Probably cheaper for him to make one than for him to buy an original too.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 03:58:55 »

I have always wanted a cermamic keyboard case (and keycaps!) I would probably go for alumina over tungsten carbide, but both are good. Contrary to some opinions, making it would be quite simple. Instead of (say) buying a brick of it and then cutting out the excess (which would likely require diamond machining, not to mention the added material expense) one could simply buy a ton of powder, and use powder processing on it. add solvent, and a binder to the WC powder (I recommend a narrow PSD and two particle sizes tuned for better packing factor) form it, then sinter it. Unlike metal powder sintering ceramic sintering doesn't usually require a vacuum (or nitrogen atmosphere, etc) furnace. The same process would apply to other ceramics ofcourse.

And it's entirely possible to make ceramic keycaps, especially for easier stems like hall-effect or stackpole.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 04:45:17 »

Ooh, I'd have interest in that. Though what you should really do is rework the Unicomp Ultra Classic with a new plate and enclosure. That way we'd have the Windows key that's really necessary these days, and build quality that meets or exceeds a vintage Model M, with all brand-new parts.

This is assuming that Unicomp is going to continue to produce keyboards, of course. How long have they been out of stock on everything now?

AFAIK Unicomp is out of stock due to tooling overhaul, but I've heard nothing about a lack of parts availability except for the chassis. The problem is that their version of the barrel plate is not a perfect match for the '87-'88, so I'd need a Unicomp for parts plus making some modifications. Really I'd like a barrel plate that's slightly thicker and designed for bolt-in installation (basically turning the melt-rivet points to tunnels) but that would be VERY expensive. It would however, make repairs and modifications a lot easier.

I have always wanted a cermamic keyboard case (and keycaps!) I would probably go for alumina over tungsten carbide, but both are good. Contrary to some opinions, making it would be quite simple. Instead of (say) buying a brick of it and then cutting out the excess (which would likely require diamond machining, not to mention the added material expense) one could simply buy a ton of powder, and use powder processing on it. add solvent, and a binder to the WC powder (I recommend a narrow PSD and two particle sizes tuned for better packing factor) form it, then sinter it. Unlike metal powder sintering ceramic sintering doesn't usually require a vacuum (or nitrogen atmosphere, etc) furnace. The same process would apply to other ceramics ofcourse.

And it's entirely possible to make ceramic keycaps, especially for easier stems like hall-effect or stackpole.

Ceramics of that size are very hard from what I understand. Not necessarily hard as much as prohibitively expensive. Keycaps on the other hand? Yeah. M two-pieces would be pretty damn easy.

You don't mill tungsten-carbide. You grind it. Though more accurately you don't do either of those things - you pre-form it to the maximum extent possible before sintering. Blocks of tungten-carbide are actually extremely brittle - incredibly so - and even stay that way after sintering. This is why the bits shatter in interesting ways instead of wearing down. Practical Machinists has this come up as a topic pretty regularly, too. You also don't want to EDM it because EDM will go badly. So will waterjet and laser. You want to cast tungsten carbide - which isn't a bad thing. Might be sand cast possible, which is cheap and easy and do it yourself at home.

But really if you wanted to go full out crazy? You'd demand an aluminum reproduction of a Model M chassis, both halves, at +-0.001". (By the way, the M chassis isn't designed for thermal expansion...) ;)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.