Author Topic: Do you know this keyboard?  (Read 4078 times)

Offline jlicht

Do you know this keyboard?
« on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 15:03:50 »
Hey there,

I bought my first mechanical in a Das Ultimate, but have now further narrowed down what I want from my keyboard.

My problem is that I can't find a single keyboard that matches all my requirements, which are as below:
- ISO layout
- Blank keycaps (or perhaps front printed like the Majestouch ninja)
- MX Black switches
- Tenkeyless

Do any of you know a keyboard that matches all the above?

Cheers

Offline y0fate

• The Holy CBass.
Re: Do you know this keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 15:04:47 »
You don't have to worry about keycaps, you can easily replace them later on
"No"- Greed

Offline jlicht

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 15:07:12 »

Good point, a full blank set does add a bunch to the cost though :-) what would be the cheapest way to go about that in Europe?

Even without the keycaps I still haven't found a good fit, so if you know of one that matches the above minus the keycaps that would help as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 June 2013, 15:20:21 by jlicht »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 15:20:40 »
So the cheapest way to get new blank caps is probably to order from a GB such as Ivan's R2. Otherwise you can see if anyone is selling used blank caps in the Classifieds here or on DeskThority (they're more EU-centric).

If the QFR Stealth was available in Europe, that would be the best way to meet all your requirements. However Cooler Master cannot sell their Stealth in the EU. You could see if they make an ISO version of the QFR Stealth and then proxy it.

Edit: You can also try ordering from TaoBao but I don't know how to order from them nor do I know the shipping prices from China to where you are. There are apparently buyers and websites you can use but I don't trust them.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 15:22:15 »
CM 6 months a go had promo for Quickfire with black switches ISO layout for $50 new....
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 22:32:44 »
88key Filco Majestouch2 Ninja in some European layout (thus ISO), but I haven't seen one with MX Black in a while.

I think CM Storm is discontinuing keyboards with blacks.

Offline y0fate

• The Holy CBass.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 22:51:51 »
You could get one from WASDKeyboard, but it wouldn't be TKL. They allow you to customize each keycap, so a blank set would be included (technically) with with keyboard.
"No"- Greed

Offline jlicht

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 02:14:00 »
88key Filco Majestouch2 Ninja in some European layout (thus ISO), but I haven't seen one with MX Black in a while.

I think CM Storm is discontinuing keyboards with blacks.

It's the one I've seen that gets closest, for sure. But the lack of Blacks is sort of a dealbreaker. I think you're right about CM Storm, but they're not selling the Quickfire Rapid in Europe anyway, because Filco have patented the front printed letters used on it.

You could get one from WASDKeyboard, but it wouldn't be TKL. They allow you to customize each keycap, so a blank set would be included (technically) with with keyboard.

TKL is important to me, but I might order the blank keycaps from there :-) had some cool keycaps made there.

So the cheapest way to get new blank caps is probably to order from a GB such as Ivan's R2. Otherwise you can see if anyone is selling used blank caps in the Classifieds here or on DeskThority (they're more EU-centric).

If the QFR Stealth was available in Europe, that would be the best way to meet all your requirements. However Cooler Master cannot sell their Stealth in the EU. You could see if they make an ISO version of the QFR Stealth and then proxy it.

Edit: You can also try ordering from TaoBao but I don't know how to order from them nor do I know the shipping prices from China to where you are. There are apparently buyers and websites you can use but I don't trust them.

Good idea, I can ask around a bit. And yes, I really like the Stealth (it's pretty much a cheaper, better looking Majestouch-2 Ninja), but sadly it isn't an option because of the patent thing. I can look around a bit, but I would be surprised if they manufacture any ISO boards for outside Europe. Also I don't think they do blacks?

So I'm actually still looking... Can't even seem to find one with all but the printed caps requirement :-(

Offline skuko

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 02:46:38 »
wait for WASD V2, it will be TKL and fully customizable.

Offline jlicht

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 03:34:54 »

I'm not too fond on the WASD design, but thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out :-)

Offline skuko

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 04:14:17 »

I'm not too fond on the WASD design, but thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out :-)

it's gonna be different to V1, check for yourself

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/blog

Offline jlicht

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 04:39:36 »
it's gonna be different to V1, check for yourself

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/blog

Oh crap, that looks slick! I went to that page but didn't scroll beyond the release date talk :-[
I might have myself a splendid candidate then, except for the possible customs trouble ordering it from the US... I ordered keycaps that went through customs no problem, but they were sent by letter. I imagine a full keyboard will be a problem.

Offline mapple

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 05:34:06 »

Good point, a full blank set does add a bunch to the cost though :-) what would be the cheapest way to go about that in Europe?

Even without the keycaps I still haven't found a good fit, so if you know of one that matches the above minus the keycaps that would help as well.

doode it's easy buy - as previously ppl said keycaps can always be changed to blank but keybaords as you wrote with ISO layout easily accessible in europe are :

1) steelseries 7g (black & ISO)
2) qpad mk80 and mk85 (black & ISO)
3) Ozone (black & ISO)
4) THERMALTAKE TT ESPORTS MEKA (black & ISO)
5) filco majestouch -2 (black & ISO)
In God We Trust

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 06:14:36 »
Meka (iRocks-made) and 7G aren't  standard ISO.

Offline jlicht

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 06:51:30 »

doode it's easy buy - as previously ppl said keycaps can always be changed to blank but keybaords as you wrote with ISO layout easily accessible in europe are :

1) steelseries 7g (black & ISO)
2) qpad mk80 and mk85 (black & ISO)
3) Ozone (black & ISO)
4) THERMALTAKE TT ESPORTS MEKA (black & ISO)
5) filco majestouch -2 (black & ISO)

None of these seem to be TKL though? Also I find them all hideous ;-)
What I'm looking for is the design of the QFR Stealth/Majestouch-2 with black switches in ISO. So far the WASD v2 seems like the best bet. Alternatively I'd have to get the Majestouch with reds.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 07:11:12 »
I'd ask The Keyboard Company about FKBN88ML/UKFB2.

Offline jlicht

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 02:27:24 »

Hey, thanks a lot! Those aren't in the browsing category and I didn't find them while searching.  The Swedish ones are actually in stock, so I might have found my board :-)

So the cheapest way to get new blank caps is probably to order from a GB such as Ivan's R2.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this ;-) Ivan's R2?
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 June 2013, 02:30:53 by jlicht »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:40:22 »

Hey, thanks a lot! Those aren't in the browsing category and I didn't find them while searching.  The Swedish ones are actually in stock, so I might have found my board :-)

So the cheapest way to get new blank caps is probably to order from a GB such as Ivan's R2.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this ;-) Ivan's R2?
I believe he is referring to this thick PBT group buy which includes a blank ISO option:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43328.0

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 17:27:40 »
Keyboard co. have a tkl linear (black) iso here:

www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/uk-filco-majestouch-2-tenkeyless-nkr-linear-action-keyboard.asp

You will need to sort out the blank caps yourself. Personally I'm from the UK yet I cannot live without the superior ANSI layout, I hate ISO short left shift and pipe key positions in ISO.
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline jlicht

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 02:27:07 »
Keyboard co. have a tkl linear (black) iso here:

www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/uk-filco-majestouch-2-tenkeyless-nkr-linear-action-keyboard.asp

You will need to sort out the blank caps yourself. Personally I'm from the UK yet I cannot live without the superior ANSI layout, I hate ISO short left shift and pipe key positions in ISO.

Yep, they're out of stock, but I contacted them, and they can just switch some UK keycaps on one of the other languages.

I'm a little annoyed by the caps/scroll lock text, can it be rubbed off somehow without leaving nasty stains or do I have to live with it?