Author Topic: Variable switches for gaming?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline jlicht

Variable switches for gaming?
« on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 03:02:44 »
I've been considering trying a Topre, but unfortunately I use my keyboard for pretty much equal parts typing, coding and gaming.
The one available at Verkkokauppa (http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/36437/cxgmj/Topre-Realforce-88-UB-Black-langallinen-nappaimisto-suomenki) is the only one with a price tag I would consider, but it has the variable 45g/33g weighted switches. I have two concerns with this, one being that I don't use the ten finger systems when I type and the keys won't fit exactly to the fingers I use for the respective keys, and the other, primary reason is that I imagine it feels weird for gaming.

Has anyone done gaming with weighted version, and is it as weird as it sounds? I play FPS and RTS all the same, so I can't narrow anything down there either.

Offline calavera

Re: Variable switches for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 03:32:00 »
Not weird at all. Variable used to be my exclusive keyboard for years. I'd be more worried about your finger problem. Not sure how you type but it's easier to press something by mistake with variable weight. But I got used to it and it didn't bother me at all. However I had gotten used to it so much that typing on anything else felt awkward and needed time to adjust to it.

Offline jlicht

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 05:45:57 »
Not weird at all. Variable used to be my exclusive keyboard for years. I'd be more worried about your finger problem. Not sure how you type but it's easier to press something by mistake with variable weight. But I got used to it and it didn't bother me at all. However I had gotten used to it so much that typing on anything else felt awkward and needed time to adjust to it.

Oh ok. What I was particularly worried about was WASD for FPS; that it would feel weird having different weights there. But I guess that actually makes quite a lot of sense since you actually do use index/middle/ring finger according to the ten finger system.
I only use my index and middle finger on the right hand, so the 35g weightings there don't make sense to me. But I think the left ones are fine.

So maybe I should actually check that variable Realforce out...

(The weightings for reference: http://i.imgur.com/X6g6Y.jpg)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 05:49:41 »
I considered a RealForce, as I can get one for $179 new, but it is variable.

After some thought, and taking into consideration my chaotic typing style (six-fingered, many keys) and the gaming aspect, I decided to wait.

Ended up getting an HHKB 2 Pro which is uniform, but which has a very non-standard layout.

So far I am loving it for typing, and a little bit of Minecraft.

Personally I would only seriously consider the variable weighted RealForce if I was mainly typing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 07:21:52 »
You really want uniform for games. I have used my RF87u in BF3. The WASD cluster was a little nightmarish with the A firing all the time.

The flame for D3 is slowly rekindling, I shall return to it soon using my 660C having stopped in December last year.
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline jlicht

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 09:37:46 »
You really want uniform for games. I have used my RF87u in BF3. The WASD cluster was a little nightmarish with the A firing all the time.

The flame for D3 is slowly rekindling, I shall return to it soon using my 660C having stopped in December last year.

I'm happy to hear some different opinions. So you didn't find it helpful that your 'weaker' middle and ring finger had a little less resistance? I guess you do claw the keyboard considerably more when holding WASD all the time. So you accidentally activated your A button because of the low resistance?

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 10:00:18 »

I'm happy to hear some different opinions. So you didn't find it helpful that your 'weaker' middle and ring finger had a little less resistance? I guess you do claw the keyboard considerably more when holding WASD all the time. So you accidentally activated your A button because of the low resistance?

Exactly! The lower actuation force on the key, and hogging the WASD cluster usually yields an activation on the A key.
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C