Author Topic: Replacement QFR controller?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline PointyFox

Replacement QFR controller?
« on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 19:01:57 »
I bought a used QFR and the LEDs light up when I plug it in, but the keys don't register.  I think the controller is bad. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?  :(

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
Re: Replacement QFR controller?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 19:06:11 »
I'm been wondering this myself too. I have a QFR that has several keys not working (Esc, ~, 1, Tab, Q, A, Z) and I'm led to believe that it's the controller causing the issue.

Hopefully there are replacements out there, would be nice to have another board.  :)

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 19:24:25 »
I've seen a lot of QFR problems, but I have yet to see one caused by a bad controller. It's usually the soldering work or PCB that's the issue.

PointyFox: Do any keys register or none? Do the lights turn on and off corresponding to the caps/scroll lock modes, or do they just blink once when you plug it in?

Defying: A series of adjacent keys not registering is most likely caused by a trace on the PCB being shorted or intermittent. In some cases, loosening up the screw on the back of the QFR will solve the problem. If that doesn't work, you'll have to open it up and inspect the trace connecting those keys more carefully for any breaks.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 19:49:50 »
No keys register.  The LEDs all stay fully lit.  Also the controller has a slight burning smell.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 20:07:10 »
If the controller seems burnt, you might want to check for any shorts in the USB cable and traces leading to the controller before you plug in a new one.