Author Topic: o-ring mod help  (Read 2317 times)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
o-ring mod help
« on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 23:31:02 »
So as I am waiting on my o-rings from IMSTO (red silica), I am looking for other o-rings to put on my poker x with mx reds. CPTbadass did a great review on different o-rings, but I want other opinions as well. I am looking for o-rings that reduce the actuation distance because I find myself bottoming out easily and harsh. I have the WASD sampler and I am still indecisive. I like the 40a-l rings in terms of feel but they don't cut out the actuation distance enough. The blue 40a-r feel weird, and I stilll have uncertainty with the black 50a-r. I found buna o-rings for pretty cheap but they also have 70a for even cheaper which I saw viciousxumsc use and he really likes them.

I don't know the optimal dimensions to look at on amazon for the 70a, but I am still perusing.

I am looking for advice and your favorite with a reason why.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: o-ring mod help
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 23:40:41 »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 00:01:34 »
These are my favorite:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051XWXCE/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

I was thinking of getting these. That price compared to the WASD ones is crazy. The WASD ones felt harder than the others but the actuation reduction was quite nice.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 01:00:00 »
These are my favorite:

I was thinking of getting these. That price compared to the WASD ones is crazy. The WASD ones felt harder than the others but the actuation reduction was quite nice.

-----008 Buna-N O-Ring, 50A Durometer, Round, Black, 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 1/16" Width

I have these, they were the original o-rings Geekhackers were buying a couple years ago, in the heady early days of o-ring mods, long before the "O-ring craze" caught on. They seem to have been one of the standbys that many people like over the years.

I'm currently typing, one type of o-ring on each hand on a Kinesis Advantage:
LEFT HAND/DOUBLESHOT KEYCAPS- 50A (008 Buna-N O-Ring, 50A Durometer, Round, Black, 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 1/16" Width)
RIGHT HAND/SINGLESHOT KEYCAPS- 40A-R (blue silicone from CPTBadAss...The WASD ones.

So there is a discrepancy with keycaps, but I can tell you this: With the 50A I feel a solid, damped, bottoming out. It kinda feels good, like a solid, quality piece of equipment. With the 40A there is less of a solid, damped bottoming out...the bottoming out feeling is minimized, it is less pronounced. Somewhat disguised. I'm not sure how to evaluate them directly, they are both good. I'm going to swap the o-rings onto the different key caps later this weekend and see what I think.

To compare the two...the 50A are excellent, no problems. The 40A are slightly softer, also excellent. I'm guessing, but if someone has RSI, I assume they would want softer...so the 40A would be better. I notice the difference when I hit the keys HARD for whatever reason. With the 50A, I feel the vibration in my other hand. Whit the 40A, I don't feel the vibration with the other hand.

As far as actuation...I'm not a hard core pounder of the keyboard, not very qualified to offer much input on the actuation thoughts at this point.

***Any o-ring performance is also determined by the type of keycap***
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 01:44:47 »
These are my favorite:

-----008 Buna-N O-Ring, 50A Durometer, Round, Black, 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 1/16" Width

I have these, they were the original o-rings Geekhackers were buying a couple years ago, in the heady early days of o-ring mods, long before the "O-ring craze" caught on. They seem to have been one of the standbys that many people like over the years.

I'm currently typing, one type of o-ring on each hand on a Kinesis Advantage:
LEFT HAND/DOUBLESHOT KEYCAPS- 50A (008 Buna-N O-Ring, 50A Durometer, Round, Black, 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 1/16" Width)
RIGHT HAND/SINGLESHOT KEYCAPS- 40A-R (blue silicone from CPTBadAss...The WASD ones.

So there is a discrepancy with keycaps, but I can tell you this: With the 50A I feel a solid, damped, bottoming out. It kinda feels good, like a solid, quality piece of equipment. With the 40A there is less of a solid, damped bottoming out...the bottoming out feeling is minimized, it is less pronounced. Somewhat disguised. I'm not sure how to evaluate them directly, they are both good. I'm going to swap the o-rings onto the different key caps later this weekend and see what I think.

To compare the two...the 50A are excellent, no problems. The 40A are slightly softer, also excellent. I'm guessing, but if someone has RSI, I assume they would want softer...so the 40A would be better. I notice the difference when I hit the keys HARD for whatever reason. With the 50A, I feel the vibration in my other hand. Whit the 40A, I don't feel the vibration with the other hand.

As far as actuation...I'm not a hard core pounder of the keyboard, not very qualified to offer much input on the actuation thoughts at this point.

***Any o-ring performance is also determined by the type of keycap***

Thanks! This is pretty solid. I am looking to put these on PBT keycaps. Right now since the W key is out of commission on my poker x,  I am using my FC660M. The caps are smaller but still pbt, but I am more concerned with my use with the poker because it is my main board.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 03:47:34 »
It would help if you could describe what you mean by "they feel weird" and what uncertainty you have..

Oddly enough, you like the thinner red ones which are soft and reduce travel the least of the three you're talking about....Which sort of goes with what you've said..you bottom out too easily and harsh.....Cutting the travel is only going to make you bottom out even more...not less (bottom out as in, hit the bottom of travel..all of the o-rings are helping you from actually bottoming out). 

Sounds like the reds are for you to be honest....or look for thinner harder ones..but everything you describe so far doesn't go with what you're saying you want....

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 04:19:32 »
It would help if you could describe what you mean by "they feel weird" and what uncertainty you have..

Oddly enough, you like the thinner red ones which are soft and reduce travel the least of the three you're talking about....Which sort of goes with what you've said..you bottom out too easily and harsh.....Cutting the travel is only going to make you bottom out even more...not less (bottom out as in, hit the bottom of travel..all of the o-rings are helping you from actually bottoming out). 

Sounds like the reds are for you to be honest....or look for thinner harder ones..but everything you describe so far doesn't go with what you're saying you want....

Sorry for not being precise with what I am trying to get at. I am typing with getting used to Colemak.

As I play with the different o-rings that  I have with the sampler, I am actually leaning away from the thin reds because they were  not reducing the distance enough. What really made me lean more towards the two others was testing them in game since I can't really do a type test with only five rings. I found my fingers less tired in both MOBA and FPS games with the shorter distance. I am leaning a bit towards the blue 40a-r but the 50a-r  feels  nice as well.

I am going to make a decision after I get my red silicone from IMSTO.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 12:17:49 »
i use dthe o-rings linked from amazon and a set of dampeners from elitekeyboards.

both are great in their own ways. if you are like me and like to swap caps a lot on a 'work' board than i suggest getting the dampeners since they rest on the switch rather than sit on the stem of the keycap.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid