Author Topic: Mousetrapper Trackpad  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Epimetheus

• Anthropo-eccentrism
Mousetrapper Trackpad
« on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:45:18 »
Hey, all;

Has anyone out there ever tried one of the Mousetrapper trackpads (Advance, Flexible, etc.)?  I'm not really jonesing for one or anything, but I am intrigued by the omnidirectional treadmill thing going on with it, and I'm curious if anyone has ever fiddled around with the thing.
G-man: We're with the government.
The Tick: Er...No Thanks.  We've got all the government we need.

Filco MiniLa, MX Blue | QFR Stealth, MX Blue | Das S Pro, MX Blue

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Mousetrapper Trackpad
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 14:20:54 »
Have you read MrInterface's review?

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 14:22:49 »
A guy on DT had one for sale I was going to buy, but I didn't get back to him in time. Someone else got it. Do a search here and on DT and you can ask them specifically. I've always been interested to try it, but the reviews weren't off the charts...they were ok though. It's a very uncommon item.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 23:11:35 »
I got an older model just to try it out. It is not truly omnidirectional. It is built as if you had two parallel Rollermouse / BarMouse with a conveyor belt loop in-between the rollers. It is similarly limited in horizontal movement: you can only move it so much to the left and right before it stops.
However, the MouseTrapper is worse at this than the Rollermouse: at the extremes the MouseTrapper moves the mouse pointer quickly to the left/right and the sensing is optical which means that it happens before you get any physical feedback, if you get any at all. Sometimes when I used it it appears as if the mouse pointer starts moving by its own accord, and I found that to be inexcusable.

The "pad" (conveyor belt) is a soft rubber mesh on top of thin plastic guide rails, and depending on where you place your finger, you can get your finger on or between rails. It does feel a bit flimsy and fragile sometimes. Clicking the entire pad is pretty soft and balanced though.
With newer models, you can scroll with the finger on the right border.

Personally, I don't see any real advantage over a capacitative touchpad. Because it is mechanical, it does give the appearance of being somewhat more precise, though... but if I wanted a touchpad, I would rather choose one that had support for multitouch.
🍉