Author Topic: VHT Vinyl dye on my QFR leaves some spots with white blotches/residue  (Read 1939 times)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
I just vinyl dye sprayed my QFR and after drying there has been some white residue/blotches on parts of the board.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to get rid of these? I might do another coat next week, but I'm not sure if it will help.

These guys at this forum have suggested sand papering it with canola oil. What do you guys think?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: VHT Vinyl dye on my QFR leaves some spots with white blotches/residue
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:02:08 »
It looks to me like it's reacting with the the rubberized QFR coating underneath or maybe does not like the plastic (if it's black QFR--I don't know if it's rubberized, I only painted a silver QFR)...  I don't think more coats would help, personally.  Did you prep the surface underneath properly?  Any dirt / residue of anything under the paint?  I would just remove all of that paint (not sure how--I'd look up how to remove vinyl paint or just use 400-grit sandpaper and then finer sandpaper to go around edges, like 600-grit) completely and redo with something else.  Either an oil enamel or some good acrylic enamel.

You can see on your photo that it's not white splotches--it's the whole paint layer going bad, very porous, and drying in a weird way.

P.S.: at worst, you could buy a new top cover from the CM store and paint with something other than that VHT Vinyl paint.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:04:20 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Re: VHT Vinyl dye on my QFR leaves some spots with white blotches/residue
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:04:13 »
It looks to me like it's reacting with the the rubberized QFR coating underneath or maybe does not like the plastic (if it's black QFR--I don't know if it's rubberized, I only painted a silver QFR)...  I don't think more coats would help, personally.  Did you prep the surface underneath properly?  Any dirt / residue of anything under the paint?  I would just remove all of that paint (not sure how--I'd look up how to remove vinyl paint or just use 400-grit sandpaper and then finer sandpaper to go around edges, like 600-grit) completely and redo with something else.  Either an oil enamel or some good acrylic enamel.

So much effort. Might as well just buy a new case from CM and try it again. I just read that I didn't have to prep the surface besides cleaning it when I dye it using vinyl dye. There might be some oil under the paint that's causing it. I wonder how the dye would work on a brand new QFR case. Damn that rubberized crap!

EDIT: So after a day of drying, I decided to try to rub out the white residue with a microfiber cloth and soapy water. I rubbed for probably 30 minutes and eventually the white residue subsided!! Woop

Here's some pics! You can see the texture closely in the photo. I think that texture is a result of my poor spraying. I might have done a layer too thick. So remember to spray light layers!! Not a bad result for my first time painting/dying.

« Last Edit: Sun, 30 June 2013, 19:09:58 by kenmai9 »