Author Topic: Filco Caps Lock/Print Screen not working  (Read 3483 times)

Offline remedyhalopc

Filco Caps Lock/Print Screen not working
« on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:34:15 »
So I'm building this Filco, and the caps lock/print screen just doesn't work. I thought maybe it was a bad housing, so I replaced it. Same result. Did that 3 more times for science sake, and still nothing.

I inspect traces, and nothing seems odd, burnt, or peeling. I'm at a loss here.  Every other key on the board works besides these two. I reseated the controller (its a HID Liberation device..any chance it's disabled though this, and how do I check?) and still got nothing. The caps lock LED worked when I tested it within a program.

Don't know where to go from here. Halp.

Offline Shayderov

Re: Filco Caps Lock/Print Screen not working
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 21:29:50 »
Try this controller on another keyboard or put usual Filco's controller in here? I might be wrong.

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 21:31:47 »
I don't have either.

Offline Shayderov

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 21:36:40 »
Maybe something wrong with switches?

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 21:43:40 »
Replaced the switch housing 3 times. Even tried entirely different switch types from Clears.

Offline Shayderov

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 21:54:34 »
Replaced the switch housing 3 times. Even tried entirely different switch types from Clears.

Then problem is in the controller, probably.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 04:06:55 »
Just because the traces look fine doesn't mean they truly are. 2 specific keys does NOT sound like a controller problem to me as a whole string of keys attached to a pin shouldn't work, not just 2.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 10:42:56 »
Just because the traces look fine doesn't mean they truly are. 2 specific keys does NOT sound like a controller problem to me as a whole string of keys attached to a pin shouldn't work, not just 2.

Print Screen is working. Sorry, my key tester wasn't registering the press, but it works. Took several screenshots, and even opened a game and set it as my walk key.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 11:17:05 »
I would try aqua test first
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34670.msg641440#msg641440

just to make sure that your capslock is not mapped to something else like control.

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 14:28:24 »
I would try aqua test first
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34670.msg641440#msg641440

just to make sure that your capslock is not mapped to something else like control.

ITS NOT BUT SOMEHOW IVE ENABLED CAPS LOCK...

SO CONFUSED

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 16:39:52 »
Check the entirety of the capslock traces and diode with a multimeter for continuity, resistance, and a 100ma current test. That should confirm/deny if it is the traces/diode, and pinpoint where to fix it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 July 2013, 16:41:26 by The_Ed »
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 19:46:17 »
What should my resistance readings/continuity look like?

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 20:41:01 »
Scratch the 100ma, cherry switches are only rated for 10ma so use that.

Put your multimeter in continuity test mode. If a trace has continuity your multimeter beeps. Cheap multimeters may not have a continuity test. If a trace doesn't have continuity (beeps) it's ****ed.
If it beeps for all the traces, then put your multimeter in resistance test mode. If a trace has some resistance (more than an ohm) without any resistors it's ****ed.
If there is no resistance (or less than an ohm) for all the traces, then put your multimeter in the appropriate amperage test mode. Connect a 5v power source with a 500 ohm 1% 1/4 watt resistor in line with the traces and multimeter. With the diode there should be less than 10ma, but the traces should read ~10ma. If a trace gets less than 10ma it's ****ed.

A fourth test that can only be used on really expensive multimeters allows you to see a graph of the voltage and amperage across the switch, traces, and diode. It would allow you to see if there is any chattering in a switch, but that is redundant seeing as you have already tried multiple switches so it can't be chattering.
R.I.P.ster

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 00:19:25 »
Well I definitely need that info for the future, and its certainly could be used in our wiki.

Turns out it was the controller. It was mapped oddly. All good now.