Author Topic: Loudness in Model M vs Cherry MX Blue  (Read 12424 times)

Offline DuckNorris

Loudness in Model M vs Cherry MX Blue
« on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 17:17:52 »
Hello guys, since I am still waiting on my Model M to come in the mail , I was wondering something that may have been asked before in here.

How loud is the Model M compared to the Cherry MX blue ? I tend to bottom out with Cherry MX blue so basically I have used it as loud as possible and I have been fine with it both at college and at my house. I have not woken anyone up or gotten someone to chunk my keyboard out the window by annoying them. Will I have any problems with the Model M loudness?

-Thank you

Offline 1391406

Re: Loudness in Model M vs Cherry MX Blue
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 17:23:31 »
I don't know if you'll have any problems with people wanting to throw your Model M out the window, but they're a bit louder than Cherry Blues.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 17:37:20 »
The sounds are different. The buckling springs are lower and more rumbling, and the blue Cherries are higher and more penetrating.

Dental floss in buckling springs and landing pads under Cherries will both attenuate the sound quite a bit, especially in the registers that tend to annoy your neighbors.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:18:26 »
The sounds are different. The buckling springs are lower and more rumbling, and the blue Cherries are higher and more penetrating.

Dental floss in buckling springs and landing pads under Cherries will both attenuate the sound quite a bit, especially in the registers that tend to annoy your neighbors.

I think I may go ahead and do that mod later on, also on another note. What is the best cleaning method for cleaning out these keyboards in your opinion? Is there maybe a chemical you can buy in store to get rid of deep old marks in the board/keys?

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:30:37 »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:31:04 »

I think I may go ahead and do that mod later on, also on another note. What is the best cleaning method for cleaning out these keyboards in your opinion? Is there maybe a chemical you can buy in store to get rid of deep old marks in the board/keys?

I pull all the keys first thing and give them a bath in a liter of hot water with a spoonful of powdered laundry detergent and Oxi-clean.

If I can take the whole thing apart, I go to the kitchen sink and scrub everything but the electronics in hot soapy water.

Without taking it down to pieces, vacuum it out good and wipe everything down with rubbing alcohol. Use Q-tips in tight spaces.

Adhesive residue needs an organic solvent like citrus oil or naptha, but, remember, these same solvents can be hell on plastic.

Black marks that are not actual scratches can sometimes be removed with a pencil eraser (white is more gentle than pink). Those big soft spongy eraser pads (Mr Clean?) are good too, but will quickly make a shiny spot if you are not careful.

Something really traumatic that makes you start thinking about sandpaper - consider scraping with the edge of a sharp knife blade.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline 1391406

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:36:00 »

They are different, however based on the Equal-loudness contour, our hearing is most sensitive to frequencies in the 2 to 5 kHz range. Cherry Blues are just a bit above that, while Buckling Springs are approximately in the 2 to 4 kHz kHz range, which is why I say they're typically perceived as louder.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:48:21 by 1391406 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 15:44:03 »
It depends. MX Blue Cherry G80-3000 is a bit quieter than Buckling Spring board, was kinda similar with Filco until I switched to PBT caps. Now I can tell you it's much louder than any Model M or Model F I've got here.
But please note they have totally different sound.
Clicking of Buckling springs are kind of soothing, they just give you a nice indication that the spring buckled. And Cherries click like a bag of legos being dropped every time you press a key, this sound gets annoying after some time.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 16:02:08 »
as an avid buck spring and mx blue man myself i dont think they are even close. buck spring is WAY louder.  blues arent very loud, especially with o-rings/dampners. i use them at my office.

i would never try to take my model m to the office even though i would prefer it over the mx blue in that environment.  simply because it is way louder.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 17:46:00 »
my poker has blues.... and it get's annoying after some time...

I did the floss mod to my SSK, it's still relatively loud, but the sound isn't annoying and I really enjoy typing on it.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 19:02:50 »
They are louder in my opinion, but less annoying to listen to since the pitch isn't as high.  Don't use it in a cubicle farm, unless pissing off your annoying COWorkers is your goal, in which case do it because a lot of fun can be had.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 19:10:11 »
It should be noted that bottoming out on buckling springs makes little to no sound... On the other hand, when a keycap hits a Cherry MX switch, it's a completely different story.

While BS is like a machine-gun-like typewriter, blues w/ soft-landing pads are just clicky. I prefer neither.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 July 2013, 19:12:35 by davkol »

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 19:24:20 »
But please note they have totally different sound.
Clicking of Buckling springs are kind of soothing, they just give you a nice indication that the spring buckled. And Cherries click like a bag of legos being dropped every time you press a key, this sound gets annoying after some time.

This has been my experience as well. I've had some people complain about the noise (at home) on my MX blue board. It's high pitched and piercing. 
...not so long ago it was normal for all keyboards to make noise...at least it's not as bad as a typewriter. 
SSKs for everyone!

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 22:06:33 »
Thank you for your replies guys! I feel much confident about my purchases now so means I can keep my Model Ms coming in the mail! If it gets bad for some reason, I guess floss mod is the way to go.