Author Topic: Best Battery for MX Performance Mouse  (Read 23125 times)

Offline Classic

Best Battery for MX Performance Mouse
« on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 21:45:28 »
Which battery do you think would work the best for a MX Performance Mouse.  Powerex or Eneloop?  Thank you very much for your time.

Offline velvetdon25

Re: Best Battery for MX Performance Mouse
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 01:01:26 »
I use eneloop myself for all my battery needs. It holds it's charge well and I like the blue lettering on white. Makes it look elegant imo :)

Offline Surnia

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 20:57:42 »
For LSD needs, nothing on the market beats your standard eneloops. Great discharge curves, excellent power retention, and they have some amazing cycle life. Anything that comes close on the market is honestly just a rebranded eneloop (older duracell rechargeables with white tops were rebranded eneloops, the black tops are something else as far as i can tell).

As long as you pickup what is known as an independent channel charger, your batteries will last forever. this basically means that no matter how many batteries are plugged in, it will always charge them. Those cheap chargers that require 2 batteries to be plugged in to charge will result in early "failure" of the cells, which is really just charge imbalance between two batteries and incorrect power detection.   You can easily find single channel chargers with a bit of research, the small USB based 2 cell charger from sanyo is great and cheap for this purpose (independent channel charging, small, and low cost).

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 21:28:08 »
Eneloop.

Offline tooki

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 15:30:10 »
What kinds of differences are you expecting??

Any battery will give performance sufficient for most purposes, given that the Performance Mouse MX can easily run for 10 days of 8-hour-a-day office use on one charge with the pack-in battery, which I think is an Eneloop.

Offline Digaboy

• French guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 10:24:08 »
the charging method has more impact than the brand (the 2 brands are quite good)

basic charger includes in mouse is based on a timer so the battery will be charge regardless of the real state of charge.

You need to use an external charger to preserve your battery lifetime.

Offline tooki

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 10:46:45 »
basic charger includes in mouse is based on a timer so the battery will be charge regardless of the real state of charge.
What makes you think that?? The Performance Mouse MX can obviously measure the charge level, since it not only displays it with LEDs on the mouse, but can also report it to the computer via software. It stands to reason that it could monitor charging appropriately.

Offline xandr

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 11:02:21 »
Eneloop XX with the MQR-06 charger.

That's what I use for my Performance MX. I also got a 4-pack of the AAA type Eneloop XX which I use for my UE6000 headphones at work.
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline Surnia

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 19:03:33 »
Eneloop XX with the MQR-06 charger.

That's what I use for my Performance MX. I also got a 4-pack of the AAA type Eneloop XX which I use for my UE6000 headphones at work.

The xx sacrifices battery longevity for an increased capacity: Where the normal eneloops can go for 1500+ charge cycles and retain power for insane amounts of time (75% retention at 3 years), the XX only has a cycle limit of 500 and I don't believe that it has the same level of power retention.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline xandr

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 03:26:23 »
The xx sacrifices battery longevity for an increased capacity: Where the normal eneloops can go for 1500+ charge cycles and retain power for insane amounts of time (75% retention at 3 years), the XX only has a cycle limit of 500 and I don't believe that it has the same level of power retention.

Sure, but considering that the Performance MX can run a week from one Eneloop XX, that's still 10 years per battery and there's 4 in a pack - even if you get only half a week out of it, we're still looking at 20 years from a whole 4-pack. As much as I like the Performance MX, but not even if you get a really good model it won't last that long.
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 00:26:28 »
I just bought a Performance the other day and it's on it's way to me. :) What would be the most cost effective solution? It looks like a set of batteries and a charger is going to cost $30+ and this mouse is the only thing I own that needs batteries like this.

Offline tooki

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:20:27 »
A single charge lasts at least a week of 8 hours a day use. Then plug in its USB cord (it includes an AC adapter, too) and it's charged in a few hours. I've never come close to needing a spare battery for mine. I've had mine for something like 3 years and it's still on the original included battery, which shows no signs of wear.

In other words, I think this entire discussion is superfluous: it works GREAT with the included battery and charging solution, even long-term.