Author Topic: Hihihi  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Vorak

Hihihi
« on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 06:28:15 »
Hi there,
              I just want to say how marvellous it is to see there's a community that care so much about keyboards. I thought I was the only one!

I used a keyboard so much as a teenager that I started to get RSI so badly that I couldn't use one at all!  :-[ At that point I learn dvorak which helped massively.  I've never been able to find a perfect keyboard.

At work I only type around 15,000 keys a day as measured by whatpulse.org, but I still had pain (probably from the force on my fingers impacting on the keys, so they assigned my a Goldtouch keyboard (still a membrane one). The first time I used it I said it was typing on a cloud - I love the low activation force.

I bought my own goldtouch second-hand (I am a poor, poor man. lol) in an attempt to do something like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-vertical,-ergonomic-tie-fighter-ke/, but my finish was far too poor to actually use.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure mechanical keyboards are the way forward, but I'm yet to invest in a new one - really I want to try out a couple before I buy-in.

Now, I'm off to use the search function to see if there's a glossary of acronyms, because I can't read half of your posts :D

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Hihihi
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 10:38:15 »
Hello and welcome! Fortunately, there have been lots of mechanical ergonomic keyboards.
Perhaps the most popular is the kinesis. It has two keywells and cherry brown or red switches.
Then the maltron. Most people don't get it because it's expensive.
There's also the datahand, these are no longer made and very expensive.
The utron uses topre switches, and is supposed to be very nice. It's one of the only split mechanical keyboards.
There are many ALPS-type mechanicals. I don't know much about them as I've never been a fan of ALPS
Cherry has the G80-5000 positionable mechanical keyboard
for IBM there is the M15, but those are collectible, so the prices vary.

My personal favorite is the ergoDOX. It's less expensive, DIY (do it yourself), and is fully programmable using a nifty web utility.

Feel free to ask me any acronyms (and the context usually helps too). I've been wanting to make a list of them.

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
Re: Hihihi
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 11:24:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack :D
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue