Author Topic: Model M Enthusiast  (Read 2196 times)

Offline cynic

• linuxforcynics.com/
Model M Enthusiast
« on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 12:11:19 »
Hello everyone,

I'm new to GH and thought I'd introduce myself. As the title suggests my favorite keyboard is the IBM Model M. In fact, the one I have is only 4 years younger than me and is the very same keyboard I learned to type on. One of my fond memories is being awaken by an infernal racket coming from the study, it was my mother typing a letter.

Anyway, as much as I like my trusty model m, I am eager to branch out a little. Maybe find something a little quieter so I can take it to work! Or perhaps something ergonomic...or a tenkeyless version. Also, I've heard green switches are almost as nice to type on as buckling springs...hmmm..

I fear this will be the beginning of an expensive hobby!

Offline Trent

Re: Model M Enthusiast
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 23:25:58 »

Your fears are correct.

Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:16:44 »
I like typing on my model M as much as my mx reds.... Hmmmm

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 15:43:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Cherry green switches are nice, and one bonus of cherry switches is the wide variety of keycaps available for them. There are several mods you can try to make your model M a little quieter: you may be interested in the dental floss mod.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:17:13 »
I too am younger than all Model M's.

My dad interned and worked for IBM around when I was born, and I grew up using PS/2 IBM Model M's. After rubber domes became very popular and I got my first, I thought it was extremely weird to use them and wondered why.

The sound is unique and the feel is so nostalgic. :)

If only they still made them
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:33:37 »
If only they still made them

...but they do. Unicomp.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline tom88jerry

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 03:14:22 »
Welcome to GH ;D

Offline purpleninja

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 15:02:47 »
hi guys ive just bought a filco majestouch whith cherry blues and the red wood kobo cover.the cover was an extra £100. bought it cos i liked the look and thought id try a modern keyboard. i have 3 model m 2 uk layout and 1 amercan. all i can say it feels absolutely like a toy compared to the ibm s.if the the cherry switches are clicky then the ibm switches should be called clacky,theyre much louder, much stronger and it doesnt sound like its being tickled.ive noticed the cherry keys clip onto a very small area so they actually slightly wobble whereas the ibm keys feel rock solid.i reckon every keyboard enthusiast cant make an accurate judgement untill theyve had a go on an ibm model m. as they are all white in colour theres no problem in dyeing the keys either.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 17:38:01 »

Your fears are correct.

lol damn haha
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline input

• My Keyboard Photos
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 17:45:10 »
hi guys ive just bought a filco majestouch whith cherry blues and the red wood kobo cover.the cover was an extra £100. bought it cos i liked the look and thought id try a modern keyboard. i have 3 model m 2 uk layout and 1 amercan. all i can say it feels absolutely like a toy compared to the ibm s.if the the cherry switches are clicky then the ibm switches should be called clacky,theyre much louder, much stronger and it doesnt sound like its being tickled.ive noticed the cherry keys clip onto a very small area so they actually slightly wobble whereas the ibm keys feel rock solid.i reckon every keyboard enthusiast cant make an accurate judgement untill theyve had a go on an ibm model m. as they are all white in colour theres no problem in dyeing the keys either.

Dude the shift button and the enter keys are there for a reason.

Anyway welcome, Model Ms are very nice indeed.
Daily drivers: Filco w/ browns @ home and work (w/ o-rings), Home coding: 1987 IBM Model M + other random keyboarding goodies.

Offline purpleninja

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 15:20:42 »
yes i join a keyboard forum,cos i like keyboards, but i cant actually type. about four words a minute just now.