Author Topic: Buying spree  (Read 3231 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Buying spree
« on: Sun, 14 September 2008, 00:43:32 »
OK, so the Topre I have been moist over for so long comes out. I buy it. It's near my home, too.

I see an IBM M2 on eBay, so I buy it for a friend.

I found an Apple Adjustable on eBay for cheep. I bought it.

Got the M2 in the original box and in perfect condition and it is loud as hell! Pictures and impressions coming soon. I really like it so far.

So I bought a second M2 off eBay for friend because I'm keeping this one.

And then I bought a new MacBook (the middle one on the website) and ordered 4GB RAM for it.

Next week is going to be so much fun as all this stuff gets delivered.

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
Buying spree
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 September 2008, 12:40:59 »
And a good thing too, because next week you are going to be too broke to buy anything :D

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Buying spree
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 September 2008, 12:42:13 »
:D

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Buying spree
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 22:06:31 »
Got my 4GB RAM for the new MacBook today. It's fast, but I am now realizing so was my other one. Oh well, at least I have a brand new machine and 3 years AppleCare.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Buying spree
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 00:30:39 »
Quote from: xsphat;8776
Got my 4GB RAM for the new MacBook today. It's fast, but I am now realizing so was my other one. Oh well, at least I have a brand new machine and 3 years AppleCare.

so, what did you end up doing with the old MacBook?  Pass it along to someone in need?  

The new MacBook's are rumored to be coming out sometime in the next month or so...if they do, I may pick one up.  I don't really care about the rumored aluminum body, but I would like to see a more durable touchpad.  Some believe they may have glass ones (like the iPhone interface).  Anything that doesn't soak up oil like the current ones would be cool.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Buying spree
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 01:08:58 »
Quote from: iMav;8777
so, what did you end up doing with the old MacBook?  Pass it along to someone in need?

Yeah I did. I sold it to a friend of mine who isn't well off enough to buy a new computer for almost nothing — WAY under it's value — because that's how I do it. He's a good friend.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Buying spree
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 01:11:16 »
And about the new MacBooks coming out, the only thing that would piss me off is if they come out with a tablet. See, this is the one event they could release it at because this is the prime time to screw me over. I just bought a brand new MB and three years AppleCare.

But they won't be releasing one of those.

Offline iMav

Buying spree
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 07:20:53 »
A tablet PC is the one thing I don't think I'll ever desire.  

I'm a keyboard man after all.  :)

Offline lowpoly

Buying spree
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 08:13:24 »
A tablet PC is great if you want to use it with your HHKB. Only one keyboard then.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Eclairz

Buying spree
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 15:59:30 »
The thing is all plain macbooks still use built in intel integrated graphics and cpu speeds are so quick that unless you do seriously cpu intensive stuff (e.g. compression, calculation, etc) you won't be able to make use of the cpu power.

Thats why if i ever get another macbook I will make sure its a macbook pro. But most likely I will end up just buying a new desktop to play games with and save the cash for a seriously good pair of speakers and a hhkb pro 2.

Seeing as my macbook hasn't died after a couple years I am satisfied I didn't invest in applecare, i'm probably more safer with it since it rarely leave my house and the keyboard and monitor and track pads are all being left unused with my external peripherals, I did upgrade it with a 320Gb hard and 2Gb of ram though. So it has been slightly modified, my main gripe with macbook is only 2 usb ports and no esata port, and also I bought the basic macbook so no dvd-writer
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline iMav

Buying spree
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 15:59:49 »
Quote from: xsphat;8779
And about the new MacBooks coming out, the only thing that would piss me off is if they come out with a tablet.

If I wanted a Mac tablet, I'd just buy a ModBook.  It's been around for a while now and has gotten consistently good reviews.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
Buying spree
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 21:28:41 »
Quote from: sofa king;8789
A tablet PC is great if you want to use it with your HHKB. Only one keyboard then.

Hear hear!  (Or is it "here here"?)  That would be a dream come true.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline Eclairz

Buying spree
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 September 2008, 09:32:16 »
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad