Author Topic: Logitech G15 keycap size/layout?  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Kiraaaa

Logitech G15 keycap size/layout?
« on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 23:56:59 »
Hey all,
So I noticed something about the Logitech G15 (and even the newer G19) keycaps.
I noticed that on the bottom row of keys, the two keys at the very right are the same length as the Shift key above it.
ie. The length of the length of the Right Shift key =  the length of the Right Ctrl + Menu key, which are right below it.

All these years I thought that this was normal and considered a "standard" layout, but recently I got the QFR which is supposed to be an actual standard layout and noticed that they are not the same length (the Right Shift is longer than those two keys below it combined). So I believe that the Right Shift keys are the same length on both keyboards and it's actually the bottom row of keys that are different sizes. So I guess the G15 is actually not a standard layout? But it's not an ISO layout either.. so what is it? Is there a specific name for it?

This isn't a huge deal (I don't mind the QFR layout), but since I've used the G15 for over 6 years I am used to it and so if I could get a mech keyboard with the same layout then I would prefer that. (The G710+ actually has a weird layout where the Windows key is really small compared to the others, which I don't really like).

Also, what do those numbers that everyone always talk about, like 1.25, 1.25, 6.25 represent? I believe they are measurements of the keycaps, correct? But how would I measure them or what do they actually represent? I'm pretty sure they are a simple measurement but for some reason I can't figure it out and I'm confused lol.

Thanks

Offline gnubag

Re: Logitech G15 keycap size/layout?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 03:00:46 »
almost all of logitech keyboard layouts are some random wonky layout they made up to accommodate all the function they need on a keyboard or they think it looks good/better.

a 1u key is any key on your keyboard (Esc, 1 Q A Z)
so 1.25 (which is a standard ansi modifier) is 1.25 times wider than a standard key. for example a standard backspace is 2u, so if you put the spacebar keycap on 2 1u keys, it should cover them exactly.

Offline Kiraaaa

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:46:12 »
almost all of logitech keyboard layouts are some random wonky layout they made up to accommodate all the function they need on a keyboard or they think it looks good/better.

a 1u key is any key on your keyboard (Esc, 1 Q A Z)
so 1.25 (which is a standard ansi modifier) is 1.25 times wider than a standard key. for example a standard backspace is 2u, so if you put the spacebar keycap on 2 1u keys, it should cover them exactly.
Ohh I understand now. Never knew that the ctrl, shift, and alt keys were called "modifiers" and now that I think about it it makes perfect sense lol. Thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Kiraaaa

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:55:54 »
Wow that's weird. So aren't they all supposed to add up to 15u then? Because (1.25 * 7) + 6.25 = 15
But my keyboard is (1.5 * 2) + (1.25 * 5) + 5.5 = 14.75
So there it's actually shorter by 0.25u? Interesting.. I thought that since some keycaps are longer, then others would be shortened to compensate in order to retain the length of 15u.. I guess not?

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 12:53:10 »
Wow that's weird. So aren't they all supposed to add up to 15u then? Because (1.25 * 7) + 6.25 = 15
So there it's actually shorter by 0.25u? Interesting.. I thought that since some keycaps are longer, then others would be shortened to compensate in order to retain the length of 15u.. I guess not?

I think the G15 spacebar is 5.75.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline Kiraaaa

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 12:18:50 »

Oh, I think you're right. I thought I knew how to measure it but I guess I was wrong lol. How do you measure the spacebar? Because I figured out a way to measure the other modifier keys (ctrl, alt) but that same method doesn't seem to work on the space bar.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 12:57:00 »

Oh, I think you're right. I thought I knew how to measure it but I guess I was wrong lol. How do you measure the spacebar? Because I figured out a way to measure the other modifier keys (ctrl, alt) but that same method doesn't seem to work on the space bar.

In theory, you can work on 1x being 19mm including the space between keys, then about -1mm for the last gap you won't count for key size. So if the spacebar is about 108.25 mm,  (5.75 x 19)-1.   a 5.5 would be approx. 103.5mm, a 6 would be about 113.

But what I did was find the row of keys above it that was in line with one end, in this case the 4 key starts where the space does. And then I stuck a stick from the end of the space bar and it came to about 75% of the way across the 9 key, hence 5.75.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues