Author Topic: Topre replacement spacebar?  (Read 2262 times)

Offline DrinkTea

Topre replacement spacebar?
« on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 23:34:58 »
Is it possible to get? I see I can buy cherry ones, but I can't find one for topre. Thanks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Topre replacement spacebar?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 23:47:43 »
Elite Keyboards sell them, but only as part of a complete set: http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys

Apart from that, browse the list here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45672.0

to see if anyone else we know about sells them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 12:47:32 »
I think the real question we should start asking, seeing as there are no easy replacements and Topre is being a **** about making PBT ones, is has anyone done anything about a shiny one?

Maybe sanding or sandblasting?

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 13:01:07 »
I think the real question we should start asking, seeing as there are no easy replacements and Topre is being a **** about making PBT ones, is has anyone done anything about a shiny one?

Maybe sanding or sandblasting?

My 103's spacebar is shiny as all hell. Would sanding with a high grit take care of that?
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 13:25:09 »
i dont think sanding it would be that good of an idea as it would wear away even more of the plastic till you have nothing left  then what will you do?
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 13:30:04 »
i dont think sanding it would be that good of an idea as it would wear away even more of the plastic till you have nothing left  then what will you do?

Exactly. I don't think there is any good and effective way to counteract shine :/ I contacted Brian at EK at one point ot see if he could just order a replacement spacebar from Topre themselves and he said they never made any kits for the 103/86 line so there was nothing he could do. Unfortunate. Try contacting brain, given you have a 104 / 87, and see if he can order just a spacebar. Might be pricey but it'd be worth it if he could do it.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:58:10 »
I would like a set of custom keycaps (preferably yellow heh) for HHKB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:12:55 »

I might pick myself up a set eventually, but no sets look really good on white boards! I love the white and grey setup they have stock but in the future, I don't know what colors would look decent on a white board :/
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 18:00:55 »
Why can't someone just make them? Does the patent holder for topre (PFU Fujitsu?) also have a patent on the shape of the keycap underside?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 18:03:39 »
It's hard. First, most people would want PBT spacebars. But nobody wants to make molds for those, or if they do, the prices are outrageous. Second, even if we accepted ABS, a mold would still need to be created. I'm sure we could get it done. Someone would need to start a GB, send SP a spacebar, have them make the mold (which won't be cheap in and of itself), and then get runs going for them.

That is, IF SP would do that. Has anyone ever checked?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 20:04:16 »

I might pick myself up a set eventually, but no sets look really good on white boards! I love the white and grey setup they have stock but in the future, I don't know what colors would look decent on a white board :/

Yellow!

(arrow keys:)

It's hard. First, most people would want PBT spacebars. But nobody wants to make molds for those, or if they do, the prices are outrageous. Second, even if we accepted ABS, a mold would still need to be created. I'm sure we could get it done. Someone would need to start a GB, send SP a spacebar, have them make the mold (which won't be cheap in and of itself), and then get runs going for them.

That is, IF SP would do that. Has anyone ever checked?

Do SP even make any Topre keycaps?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 20:06:22 »
I don't believe they do, but why should they? They won't spend their own money on something that might not make any profit, as any reasonable business might do. Someone woul need to commission a new mold for them.