Author Topic: Topre Realforce vs Filco Majestouch  (Read 11645 times)

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Topre Realforce vs Filco Majestouch
« on: Fri, 03 October 2008, 11:31:28 »
I can't decide between the Realforce 86U and the Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless.

I currently use a Cherry G84-4100 and find it too noisy and cramped. I do like the feel of the keytops on this keyboard though. They're smooth and matte, but not too textured.

Are the Realforce keyboards as noisy to type on? What are the keytops like?

If I were to get the Filco Majestouch I think I'd get one with brown MX, but are these quieter than the Cherry ML switches?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 October 2008, 12:44:22 »

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 October 2008, 12:48:44 »
Both are great keyboards but the Topre costs over twice as much as the Filco. I think the Topre is a much better keyboard for typing and gaming than the Filco with Cherry browns, and I think the 86U sounds better too. The problem you're going to run into is finding an 86U. Both are high quality typists keyboards, but in the end, the 86U is way more rare, way more expensive, but it's built better and has the Topre switch I love.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 October 2008, 16:53:23 »
Xsphat, reading the comments section of that video makes me sad.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 October 2008, 17:28:45 »
double post :confused:

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 October 2008, 17:29:53 »
Do what everyone else does, get a HHKB.

Do you have any experience with Cherry MX?

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 October 2008, 17:51:48 »
Thanks xsphat. The Realforce sounds a little quieter to me, but it's hard to tell from a recording. It sounds like she had the microphone sitting on the desk, making it sound deeper. Are the keytops on the Realforce shiny or matte?

I read on here that beNippon would have new stock of the 86U by the end of October. Right now I'm leaning towards the Filco. I sort of fell in love with it when I found it on Google. I think the Realforce looks better in grey/white but would prefer a black keyboard with matte keycaps.

Quote from: lowpoly;9303
Do what everyone else does, get a HHKB.

Do you have any experience with Cherry MX?

The HHKB is cute, but I really miss the standard layout when coding. If it wasn't for that I'd probably stick with the Cherry.

I haven't typed on Cherry MX switches before. I've been wondering if the black MX are worth a try. I have a Datalux with white MEI switches that gives no feedback when typing unless bottomed out and it feels horrid to type on. I like the little bump in the MLs.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 October 2008, 18:03:45 »
They're both very different switches. Awesome quality, but check out a couple of the reviews and sound clips here on geekhack.
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 October 2008, 18:13:34 »
Quote from: Chloe;9304
The HHKB is cute, but I really miss the standard layout when coding. If it wasn't for that I'd probably stick with the Cherry.
The Cherry has about 20+ keys more than the HHKB. The HHKB is about staying on the home row all the time. Not possible with the Cherry.

Quote from: Chloe;9304
I haven't typed on Cherry MX switches before. I've been wondering if the black MX are worth a try.
The black MX are linear. It sounds like you don't want them. The springs are generally considered being too strong as well. You may want to try brown and blue Cherrys before spending that much money.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 October 2008, 18:54:46 »
Quote from: lowpoly;9306
The Cherry has about 20+ keys more than the HHKB. The HHKB is about staying on the home row all the time. Not possible with the Cherry.

I tried the HHKB layout with AutoHotkey and didn't like it. I can see the benefits, it's just not for me. I don't want to have to rewrite my shortcuts as well as get used to a new layout.

Quote from: lowpoly;9306
The black MX are linear. It sounds like you don't want them. The springs are generally considered being too strong as well. You may want to try brown and blue Cherrys before spending that much money.

I think I read here that the white MEI are like the black MX, although mine look nothing like them. I might get a Cherry with MXs and replace some of the switches myself just to try.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 October 2008, 07:10:05 »
I found a good picture of a keytop on the white/grey Realforce, here it looks textured:

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 October 2008, 12:40:21 »

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 October 2008, 12:51:21 »
The link works for me.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 October 2008, 13:21:50 »
Strange, as soon as I replace gghpt by google in the link, it works (and switches the URL back to gghpt).

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 19 October 2008, 14:17:03 »
Quote from: lowpoly;9652
Strange, as soon as I replace gghpt by google in the link, it works (and switches the URL back to gghpt).
that does work, weird