Author Topic: Clack Therapy  (Read 8654517 times)

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
Re: Clack Therapy
« Reply #3350 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 20:24:24 »
I just want one clack to be like hey, I got this. :)

Trust me you will want more.

I thought the same thing  ;D

I hate collecting stuff. I'm somewhat of a minimalist, anti-hoarder. Every geek obsession or hobby I've had in the past (cameras, bikes, high end audio, raw denim, boots, etc.) I've always only kept one or two of the items, and if I wanted to experience something new I'd usually just sell one to fund another.

I only need one keyboard, so naturally only one clack would make sense. Maybe three tops since my FC660M has the inset and delete keys on the far right that would be a neat spot for novelty caps.

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #3351 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 20:25:20 »
How did the recent (Magarita) sales done? I mean is it a dibs ticket but based on what? 420 entries or?

Not sure anyone knows. Just be happy there is alot of action from cc, and people are going to be getting some love when his back is better!!

Carrying GH's hopes and dreams must be hard ;)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3352 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 20:27:11 »
Yeah, usually the major holidays. Next sale is usually July 4th, then Halloween. Earth Day is new as far as I know, but April has been a busy month all around, not just for clacks. Yeah, April was a good month :)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #3353 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 20:28:39 »
I only need one keyboard, so naturally only one clack would make sense. Maybe three tops since my FC660M has the inset and delete keys on the far right that would be a neat spot for novelty caps.

And then while you're at it, why not go ahead and fill that top row too?

This is how it starts, sir.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3354 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 20:52:37 »
Sounds like ClickClack needs some Clack therapy ;)

Hope you get better soon sir! :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #3355 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 21:01:26 »
And then while you're at it,

You say that like it's as easy as strolling down the street to clickclack mart and tossin skulls in my cart lol

Securing that many clacks is way too much effort for such little reward.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #3356 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 21:03:36 »

You say that like it's as easy as strolling down the street to clickclack mart and tossin skulls in my cart lol

You don't have a local skullmart?

Offline t2russo

« Reply #3357 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 21:05:10 »
Time:Effort:Money

How do you pay for your clacks?

me? dignity.  :'(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3358 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 21:08:04 »

You don't have a local skullmart?

Skullmart FTW!

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #3359 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 21:14:35 »
So the sale today was completely public? or you needed a magical ticket? i'm confused on how it went down because I missed it :p

Also about ClickClack & back uninjuries... I had a stress fracture in my lower back (L5 vertebrae) (2 years ago) and it took 12 months to heal and it absolutely ruined my high school sports career and brought about some serious depression that I had to push through. Seriously not fun and absolutely horrible chronic pain. I wish you the luck in recovery because a lot of it involves mental attitude and keeping everything positive, which is something I didn't do or focus on at all, and it made things a lot, lot worse.

Offline pmh1410

« Reply #3360 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 23:20:39 »
Very longtime i can't get more CC and i never get any disb tickets sale, how can i get more CC ? it's unfair

i must choose 2 solutions: follow or give up >.<
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club

Keyboards Collection: Powered by OTD
TKL: 360C Hyper Silver, Cheat B/R/B
Mini: 356mini Red, Duck Poker + 38GT.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #3361 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 01:02:32 »
Give up

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #3362 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 01:13:29 »
I was randomly sitting on Spy (I'm not usually) and just about **** myself when 4Grabs popped up. Unfortunately not good news…

Similar reaction when I woke up this morning!

Get well CC, back injuries are no joke.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #3363 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 03:20:38 »
Oh duh, it just occurred to me what "Do you blend?" and "Margarita+C-D-M" refers to.  Cinco de Mayo was yesterday.  Margaritas can be blended with ice. 

Mmm... margarita-flavored Clacks.  Oh wow... could these be slushy Clacks in margarita colors??  :eek:
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3364 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 03:25:27 »
Oh duh, it just occurred to me what "Do you blend?" and "Margarita+C-D-M" refers to.  Cinco de Mayo was yesterday.  Margaritas can be blended with ice. 

Mmm... margarita-flavored Clacks.  Oh wow... could these be slushy Clacks in margarita colors??  :eek:

That's what I was thinking, but what flavors?

Lime/Reg.
Strawberry
and ?

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #3365 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 03:28:04 »

Lime/Reg.
Strawberry
and ?

I want Blue Curacao!  :)

a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #3366 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 03:29:16 »

Lime/Reg.
Strawberry
and ?

I want Blue Curacao!  :)

Show Image

i want a mint mojito clack. clear skull with bits of green in it :D

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3367 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 03:39:13 »
It's good that I've given up on clack sales. I seem to wake up only to find during the night there has been a 4grabs post and then people chatting in here about some sale they missed that happened 'today'...

But I hope CC gets better nothing worse than a bad back, makes all kinds of things uncomfortable!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3368 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 05:17:24 »
It's good that I've given up on clack sales. I seem to wake up only to find during the night there has been a 4grabs post and then people chatting in here about some sale they missed that happened 'today'...

I get like this all the time :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3369 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 05:43:12 »

I'm just praying that when he does a proper Miami skull he makes enough of them that I can afford to get one second hand ;_;

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3370 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 05:50:01 »

I'm just praying that when he does a proper Miami skull he makes enough of them that I can afford to get one second hand ;_;

Anything Miami is going to go for silly secondhand prices around here.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3371 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 07:31:57 »

Yup! I can't even afford a mintgum skull to go with my WASD/arrow set atm :(

Lifes a ***** :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3372 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 18:46:59 »

At the moment I can't even afford a F2 red in Classifieds :(

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3373 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 05:13:23 »

I feel you rowdy.  :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3374 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 05:26:39 »

I shall mentally insert the word "for" between "feel" and "you", thank you ;D

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3375 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 06:05:18 »

haha, the sentiment applies  :))

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3376 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 07:28:51 »

prude!

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #3377 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:22:13 »
I would just like to own one clack, to put it on my board and leave it there forever, however this probably will not happen unless I stab someone for one. :o
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3378 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:26:13 »
I would just like to own one clack, to put it on my board and leave it there forever, however this probably will not happen unless I stab someone for one. :o

But then you want another, then just one more and one more after that OR someone offers piles of $$$ and your eyes get really big and you think of all you could do then before long your like a crack addict needing a fix. :p

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3379 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:28:33 »
I never understood people just wanting ANY one, for the pure sake of it. Owning one doesn't make you cool. Either you like them or you don't. If not, just forget them. There's nothing really special if they're not special to you. And if you think they are, then try to get something you really want. Because just owning one won't make you happy.

Offline t2russo

« Reply #3380 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:34:20 »
I never understood people just wanting ANY one, for the pure sake of it. Owning one doesn't make you cool. Either you like them or you don't. If not, just forget them. There's nothing really special if they're not special to you. And if you think they are, then try to get something you really want. Because just owning one won't make you happy.

dis. dis guy right here speaks the truth. don't covet.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3381 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 16:09:14 »

100% true, it's gotta be one you really like or what's the point.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3382 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 16:10:56 »

I can answer this because of my current situation with brobots. More people want to trade than to sell. Having one somebody else wants can get you closer to the ones you do really want.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #3383 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 16:16:18 »

I can answer this because of my current situation with brobots. More people want to trade than to sell. Having one somebody else wants can get you closer to the ones you do really want.

100% true, it's gotta be one you really like or what's the point.

yeah. I've got a topre steel brobot v2. It doesn't exactly go with my current setup... but I snatched it up when given the chance so that I could trade it for something that DOES match.
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline t2russo

« Reply #3384 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 16:35:18 »
If you are snatching up random colored bros and ccs and expecting to trade your way to the one you want, you are not going to be happy and are now sitting on a non-liquid investment. 

You have to match up with people who then own what you want and don't have what you have. 

I've bought, traded, swapped, etc for my keys, and I can say that only TWICE I've bought something for trade value out of the 20+ transactions.   

Here's the criteria if you have yet to be swayed and still want to participate in this token economy:

1) Don't pay more than in your paypal (or wallet, or whatever) - Don't be in debt for something you want to flip.  Bad juju
2) Don't pay more than it's worth - If you are buying a key to lock it down forever, you can spend a bit more on opportunity cost to avoid missing out.  If you're wishy washy about wanting a key, you'd probably be happier with the cash in your pocket.
3) Know your **** - Mint gum and HOs don't become Mr. Fridays.  Understand the food chain on clacks by reading through old threads, old classifieds, anything you can get your hands on.
4) Make friends - Trading works best if it's between two people who are friendly and want to continue to do business in the future.  People will make more fair deals, and it will open up your network. 

My 2c, take from it what you will.  I'll just be waiting for the black skull that I swapped for this week :)

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3385 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 16:37:29 »
If you are snatching up random colored bros and ccs and expecting to trade your way to the one you want, you are not going to be happy and are now sitting on a non-liquid investment. 

You have to match up with people who then own what you want and don't have what you have. 

I've bought, traded, swapped, etc for my keys, and I can say that only TWICE I've bought something for trade value out of the 20+ transactions.   

Here's the criteria if you have yet to be swayed and still want to participate in this token economy:

1) Don't pay more than in your paypal (or wallet, or whatever) - Don't be in debt for something you want to flip.  Bad juju
2) Don't pay more than it's worth - If you are buying a key to lock it down forever, you can spend a bit more on opportunity cost to avoid missing out.  If you're wishy washy about wanting a key, you'd probably be happier with the cash in your pocket.
3) Know your **** - Mint gum and HOs don't become Mr. Fridays.  Understand the food chain on clacks by reading through old threads, old classifieds, anything you can get your hands on.
4) Make friends - Trading works best if it's between two people who are friendly and want to continue to do business in the future.  People will make more fair deals, and it will open up your network. 

My 2c, take from it what you will.  I'll just be waiting for the black skull that I swapped for this week :)

Can't agree more, and I share the same stance. Luckily, I want all of the bros I currently have, and I am only looking to trade for other bros that I want =). I was offered a couple of others in the group that I bought, but turned them down because they were not colors I want and knew that I couldn't trade.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3386 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 16:49:42 »

Not really, my first two clacks were basically the first clacks I could get my hands on and weren't ones I particularly wanted. I traded one for a set of beige Cherry caps back when you couldn't get a nice set for love-nor money (least in my finds). The other I traded for a hack orange CC which was one I wanted.

I don't bother with CC's much other than ones I specifically want these days becasue my priorities have shifted, but it's a pretty fair and decent way to get started from my own experience.

Offline t2russo

« Reply #3387 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 17:07:38 »

Not really, my first two clacks were basically the first clacks I could get my hands on and weren't ones I particularly wanted. I traded one for a set of beige Cherry caps back when you couldn't get a nice set for love-nor money (least in my finds). The other I traded for a hack orange CC which was one I wanted.

I don't bother with CC's much other than ones I specifically want these days becasue my priorities have shifted, but it's a pretty fair and decent way to get started from my own experience.

You did read the 4 part breakdown, right?  You have a very specific case where you got lucky on an investment that required the lockup of real money for TOKENS with no intrinsic value that could depreciate at any time.  This day and age on geekhack there is very little money cannot buy.  Remember when people couldn't buy a KMAC  :eek:

These aren't gold bars.  Yes you can trade them for caps and they are a currency here in acquiring harder to reach items.  Yes you can even cash these out RELATIVELY easily.  That does not mean the attitude of "if I have the cash, I should turn it into clacks" should be encouraged.

Caps for the sake of having trading pieces is not something that should be encouraged for anyone other than someone financially set and capable of sustaining a burden without having to liquidate hobby supplies.

Jcrouse's sale was a great example of how the clack market really was.  He sold lots of his collection at a high price, but a lot of stuff sat around for a week as it was marked down and eventually blown out. 

This is a high-end hobby that people tend to invest lots of money in.  Just because we've created a weird token economy doesn't mean that it's necessarily smart or sustainable.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #3388 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 17:27:33 »

You did read the 4 part breakdown, right?  You have a very specific case where you got lucky on an investment that required the lockup of real money for TOKENS with no intrinsic value that could depreciate at any time.  This day and age on geekhack there is very little money cannot buy.  Remember when people couldn't buy a KMAC  :eek:

These aren't gold bars.  Yes you can trade them for caps and they are a currency here in acquiring harder to reach items.  Yes you can even cash these out RELATIVELY easily.  That does not mean the attitude of "if I have the cash, I should turn it into clacks" should be encouraged.

Caps for the sake of having trading pieces is not something that should be encouraged for anyone other than someone financially set and capable of sustaining a burden without having to liquidate hobby supplies.

Jcrouse's sale was a great example of how the clack market really was.  He sold lots of his collection at a high price, but a lot of stuff sat around for a week as it was marked down and eventually blown out. 

This is a high-end hobby that people tend to invest lots of money in.  Just because we've created a weird token economy doesn't mean that it's necessarily smart or sustainable.

I agree with you, but I will play devil's advocate.

Even if Clacks crash and the sole reason of buying a Clack was to trade for a clack you wanted more, you are still wouldn't be set back IF your sole reason was to acquire and hold onto the desired cap. Reason being is that if Clack's crashed you can still sell the clack at the crashed price and buy the one you were after at a crashed price. Also you can imagine that 'rarer' clacks might actually be hit harder proportionally in a crash. So it seems that either way you are roughly out by the initial price you paid in, again assuming that your goal is to hold onto the wanted clack forever.

Again, I will state that I agree with you, but depending on situation and goals, it doesn't have to be doom and gloom.
RETIRED

Offline t2russo

« Reply #3389 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 17:37:13 »
I wanted to encourage discussion about the elephant in the room of $100+ keys.  I mean no animosity towards anyone about their views on this, I think that spirited debate is something important and helps us cut to the core of important issues.

The case you stated you would unfortunately still be set back, as the investment into the pre-crash price would be lost before you could recoup your investment and make the second purchase.  If the desired clack crashed to below the initial purchase price of your piece, you lost this dealing, since the inflated value of YOUR clack has gone poof, which would still be money in your pocket if you didn't buy the trading piece.

Clacks are useful sometimes at getting what money cannot buy.  I will NEVER deny this, that would just be a foolish statement.  I'm just saying that trading for things isn't all it's cracked up to be, and I know I've ended up purchasing clacks that people thought were surefire trade bait.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #3390 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 17:52:18 »
I wanted to encourage discussion about the elephant in the room of $100+ keys.  I mean no animosity towards anyone about their views on this, I think that spirited debate is something important and helps us cut to the core of important issues.

The case you stated you would unfortunately still be set back, as the investment into the pre-crash price would be lost before you could recoup your investment and make the second purchase.  If the desired clack crashed to below the initial purchase price of your piece, you lost this dealing, since the inflated value of YOUR clack has gone poof, which would still be money in your pocket if you didn't buy the trading piece.

Clacks are useful sometimes at getting what money cannot buy.  I will NEVER deny this, that would just be a foolish statement.  I'm just saying that trading for things isn't all it's cracked up to be, and I know I've ended up purchasing clacks that people thought were surefire trade bait.
I completely agree.
Somewhat related is that I have been seriously considering downgrading my (small) clack collection and getting out of the clack game. It is too expensive for a grad student to buy at street prices and clack sales are too competitive and infrequent to rely on. The positive is that I do really like the clacks that I have, so I have no problem sitting on them until a fair trade appears (to hopefully recoup initial cost) or just keeping them if clack prices crash tomorrow.
RETIRED

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #3391 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:00:24 »
I have a fever, and the only cure is moar Clacks.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3392 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:26:24 »
I won't lie, as much as I hate paying inflated aftermarket prices, they keep the supply and demand for Clacks in the right place. They shouldn't be easy to get, and I've got no skin in the game on the seller side because I don't sell my Clacks. I like the potential for value they have, and the unconformable exactness of rarity which drives up prices. An over saturated market of easily acquirable collectables makes the hunt and kill much less satisfying.

Offline t2russo

« Reply #3393 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:28:46 »
I won't lie, as much as I hate paying inflated aftermarket prices, they keep the supply and demand for Clacks in the right place. They shouldn't be easy to get, and I've got no skin in the game on the seller side because I don't sell my Clacks. I like the potential for value they have, and the unconformable exactness of rarity which drives up prices. An over saturated market of easily acquirable collectables makes the hunt and kill much less satisfying.

You've also gotten spumoni and a tri-color direct from CC at retail prices.  Would you feel the same if your two iconic clacks had cost you 600+ or never been available for your purchase?  You're in a really unique position, I really do want your input.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3394 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:37:15 »
Who really WANTS to spend money unnecessarily? I'd imagine everyone would like to have their cake and eat it too. Those people who decide they won't pay an inflated price still wishes they could have that rare Clark.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3395 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:37:28 »

You've also gotten spumoni and a tri-color direct from CC at retail prices.  Would you feel the same if your two iconic clacks had cost you 600+ or never been available for your purchase?  You're in a really unique position, I really do want your input.

I felt the same two months ago as I do today, and none of my philosophies about clacks have changed. Maybe I ***** a little less about them :P

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3396 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:37:46 »

Wow, no need for the attitude.  Just because he's lucky doesn't mean his opinion is worthless.    Whoa guys, I can't read.  Many apologies.  The below still applies, but forgive my blunder.   :-X

I've been a little lucky lately and I'm really thankful, but I feel the same way I do now as I did before when I was clackless.  If you can get a good deal (retail) for a clack that isn't your favourite, it's still a good opportunity to get into the game.  Even if you can't trade it away, you've got a really neat novelty.  And if you can trade it, awesome.  And if you eventually decide it's not for you and you want to get rid of it, you can then sell it away at retail and make someone else's day.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:58:03 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3397 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:40:13 »
Or you can pride yourself on getting Clarks at retail, then turn around and sell them for inflated prices. And then when you get called on it, only trade them for inflated values.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3398 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:44:46 »
Or you can pride yourself on getting Clarks at retail, then turn around and sell them for inflated prices. And then when you get called on it, only trade them for inflated values.

I love Elzy

Offline t2russo

« Reply #3399 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 19:02:15 »

Wow, no need for the attitude.  Just because he's lucky doesn't mean his opinion is worthless. 

I've been a little lucky lately and I'm really thankful, but I feel the same way I do now as I did before when I was clackless.  If you can get a good deal (retail) for a clack that isn't your favourite, it's still a good opportunity to get into the game.  Even if you can't trade it away, you've got a really neat novelty.  And if you can trade it, awesome.  And if you eventually decide it's not for you and you want to get rid of it, you can then sell it away at retail and make someone else's day.

Homie I said really when I meant it.

NT (when he got his OG tri) and anyone who has been dibs'd has basically been handed money by CC.  The prices they pay to get the key are not reflective of the market value of the item, so by being selected they are capable of making a profit INSTANTLY. 

I genuinely wanted to know why he said he supported the price inflation was important for maintaining rarity when the keys I mentioned were acquired through extraordinary means and can be directly viewed as outliers in the supply chain.  NT hasn't tried to hock them or anything, I'm just curious the opinion of someone who actually owns the pivotal pieces we discuss.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 May 2014, 19:06:09 by t2russo »