Author Topic: Clack Therapy  (Read 8640778 times)

Offline Lu_e

Re: Clack Therapy
« Reply #550 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:45:13 »
I was thinking (hoping?) maybe it was the blacklist laser aimed at flippers who haven't even gotten their keys yet, but... don't think that would be posted in 4grabs.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #551 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:52:03 »
I was thinking (hoping?) maybe it was the blacklist laser aimed at flippers who haven't even gotten their keys yet, but... don't think that would be posted in 4grabs.
Well, he has taken away Clacks before for similar reasons  :-X
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #552 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:58:12 »
Well, I'm back having enjoyed my evening and am pleased to see it wasn't wasted hitting refresh.  :rolleyes:

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #553 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 08:38:17 »
Genuine question here, I am sure it has been asked a lot but I'm new around here.

A lot of people are complaining about people who got lucky and bought a click clack only to sell it for a profit.

Why is this any different from someone who buys a piece of art and then sells it for a profit in auction? Why is it different from someone like qtan or feng who can buy things from china and then sell to the US at a profit immediately?

Maybe I am missing something here, but why are you trying to attach a sense of moral obligation to the purchase of a click clack? It really seems like people are just upset that the demand for these items is higher than they would like to pay...?

A HHKB is too expensive for me currently, but I don't get mad at the vendor asking $260+ for one, I just don't buy it (...yet? haha). I don't have any moral qualms with their asking price, they can sell it for whatever they choose.

Convince me that CCs are different somehow so I can see your point of view. The argument that this is hurting clickclack himself is not a valid one. He chooses to sell the items at a certain price and not flood the market... is it morally wrong that many successfuly artists never made the copious amounts of money that their art now demands? (van gogh, etc.)

thanks
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 November 2013, 08:50:42 by kgrad5 »

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #554 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 08:59:27 »
Why is this any different from someone who buys a piece of art and then sells it for a profit in auction? Why is it different from someone like qtan or feng who can buy things from china and then sell to the US at a profit immediately?

Maybe I am missing something here, but why are you trying to attach a sense of moral obligation to the purchase of a click clack? It really seems like people are just upset that the demand for these items is higher than they would like to pay...?

There really is no difference. Some people just choose to conceive it as a bad thing when it comes to clacks. It all comes down to perspective. Some might say that it's a horrible thing in general to spend a lot of money on a little piece of plastic when people are starving in the world. But if you view it like that, you probably will not enjoy your time on earth. So to sum it up, haters gonna hate.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #555 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 09:09:13 »
Why is it different from someone like qtan or feng who can buy things from china and then sell to the US at a profit immediately?

The difference is that they are vendors. They purchase items to stock, and take the risk that those items may or may not sell. They are entitled to a reasonable markup over the wholesale cost, because they are fronting the money and taking all the risk. If their items don't sell, you don't lose anything. They may be out hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

Not to the purchase, but to the resale. From whom are you trying to make a profit? From your fellow forum member, that's who. This forum is a community, where people gather to discuss keyboard related items, not a marketplace designed for making a quick buck at your neighbor's expense.

A HHKB is too expensive for me currently, but I don't get mad at the vendor asking $260+ for one, I just don't buy it (...yet? haha). I don't have any moral qualms with their asking price, they can sell it for whatever they choose.

Again, you're buying (or not) from a vendor, with a storefront. Not from a forum member who is trying to price-gouge you.

Convince me that CCs are different somehow so I can see your point of view. The argument that this is hurting clickclack himself is not a valid one. He chooses to sell the items at a certain price and not flood the market... is it morally wrong that many successfuly artists never made the copious amounts of money that their art now demands? (van gogh, etc.)

thanks

CCs are only different in that you can, if lucky, obtain one for <$30, then turn around and flip it for several times what you paid. That is the difference. If people were buying up HHKBs at $100 and selling them, due to market demands, at $300, I would have a problem with that, too.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #556 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 09:21:05 »
Thanks for the response jdcarpe. You have some valid points although I am not sure I fully agree with you.

Why are vendors given carte blanche? If a non-vendor were to purchase a CC with the intent to sell they are still putting in the upfront cost without a guaranteed sale (this is arguable, I am too new to know if CCs are in such high demand that every one sells for a profit guaranteed, although it does seem that way).

Vendors generally have deals with distributors and get items at cost and then sell at a markup, can an argument not be made that people are treating these sales as buying an item at cost from a distributor? What if a vendor were to purchase cc's from EK then mark them up and sell them either in classified or through their shopfront? Is someone like BunnyLake (sorry to name names, I just know he is a prominent member as well as a vendor, from my one interaction with him it seems like he is a good guy not looking for profits when it comes to his GBs) immune from being called out for reselling his CC collection for a profit?

In the art community you can often find items that are discounted for certain events, like cruises, where you can buy art at a good price and sell at an immediate profit.

I agree with you that GH is a community and that it is not a place to go and profiteer, but realistically it is an open community that anyone can join, and has umpteen thousands of members. Would you feel bad selling an item to me at a profit? We are both members of GH but this is the first time we have ever spoken. While it is a nice thought and one I hope actually is true, I don't think that it's realistic to think that every GHer is intent on maintaining the sense of community and that is why places like classifieds and vendor forums exist no?

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #557 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 09:25:58 »
Whenever I have sold a clack or brobot I asked $50 unless I paid more for it or traded it for a more valuable item myself. I think that is the kind of price that both the buyer and seller could agree with without anyone feeling exploited. Even though, let's be honest, $50 for a keycap is still a lot or money. In some way you could accuse me that I too could not resist the urge to make a little money on the sale, otherwise I would have sold them for retail price. I think that the fact that people thanked me for asking a " fair price" (even though it is $50 for a keycap)  says a lot about what they expect from people in the community (the expectation being that their fellow forum members will try and get as much for it as possible).

Exploiting the value of keycaps and making money off fellow forum members is something that is kind of accepted here at geekhack. Not passing any judgment here, but I have seen long time members of the community here selling for over $1000 worth of these keycaps. Now, a lot of times they had of course spent a lot of money to get that collection, but in some cases I know they did not. The community makes up its own mind about what is ok and what is not. And personally, I am fine with whatever, but you can not be using double standards. Everyone is individually responsible for his or her own actions, but it is actually the people that are known within the community, and that play a larger role on the forums that set the standards for what is acceptable and what is not.

Would I have sold some novelty keycaps for $50 or more if I had not seen that this is a common and accepted thing? Honestly I think I wouldn't , even knowing what people are willing to pay, because there is something fishy about it. I have other hobbies I am more into than keyboards. Sometimes, there is a possibility of arbitrage, usually because some people get the opportunity to buy something that everyone wants to have (very much like CC's in that regard). I can tell you right now that the kind of sales we see for CC's are not accepted in those communities.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 November 2013, 09:52:29 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #558 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 09:36:09 »
I think the real problem is when people try to get CC keycaps not because they want to have them on their keyboard or for some collection, but they want them because of their resale value.

When people get clacks for themselves, but then at some point want to sell them, that is less of an issue. The point being that the intent was never to make a quick buck of your fellow forum member. Personally, whenever I have sold a clack or brobot I asked $50 unless I paid more for it or traded it for a more valuable item myself. I think that is the kind of price that both the buyer and seller could agree with without anyone feeling exploited. Even though, let's be honest, $50 for a keycap is still a lot or money.

What about people who see CCs as a means of getting something else they want? From what I gathered, everyone who entered the EK sweepsteaks signed up for all 8 keycaps even though they really probably only had interest in 1 or 2 of them. If they win one they can then trade what they won for a CC of their choice. Their intention was never to actually keep the CC they signed up for. Is that not just as bad as people who buy them with the intention to sell?

It sounds a bit like people view CCs as a sort of digital currency... Kind of like how people who play MTGO (modo) view event tix (for those familliar) or Diablo II used SOJs, etc.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #559 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 09:37:41 »
Why are vendors given carte blanche?

They aren't. There is even a Vendor Terms of Service here on GH. Basically it states to "be nice, or else." Vendors are actually looked at with more scrutiny than your casual member.

I agree with you that GH is a community and that it is not a place to go and profiteer, but realistically it is an open community that anyone can join, and has umpteen thousands of members. Would you feel bad selling an item to me at a profit? We are both members of GH but this is the first time we have ever spoken. While it is a nice thought and one I hope actually is true, I don't think that it's realistic to think that every GHer is intent on maintaining the sense of community and that is why places like classifieds and vendor forums exist no?

Yes, I would feel bad about selling an item to you at a profit. I wouldn't do it, in fact. I have taken a loss on pretty much everything I have ever sold or traded here. Because I would rather foster good will within the community than make a few bucks. I would rather give something away for free to someone who needed it, if it meant that person would have a better feeling toward this community and would help to make it a better place. I know I may seem a bit idealistic about it all, but that is truly how I feel. Ask anyone around here...I think my reputation speaks for itself. I do things like that, not to garner favor with any one person, but in the hopes that it may serve as an example for others, and that the community will grow and foster others who would do the same, rather than decline into a giant marketplace where members are only out for themselves.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 November 2013, 09:56:29 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #560 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 09:51:11 »
Jdcarpe, now would be a good time to use that riot shield avatar I made you. 100% agree with your points :thumb:
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #561 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 09:54:54 »
Jdcarpe, now would be a good time to use that riot shield avatar I made you. 100% agree with your points :thumb:

You are probably right. :D

in memoriam

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #562 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 09:55:14 »
hahaha  :))

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #563 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:07:49 »
Why are vendors given carte blanche?

They aren't. There is even a Vendor Terms of Service here on GH. Basically it states to "be nice, or else." Vendors are actually looked at with more scrutiny than your casual member.

Yes, I would feel bad about selling an item to you at a profit. I wouldn't do it, in fact. I have taken a loss on pretty much everything I have ever sold or traded here. Because I would rather foster good will within the community than make a few bucks. I would rather give something away for free to someone who needed it, if it meant that person would have a better feeling toward this community and would help to make it a better place. I know I may seem a bit idealistic about it all, but that is truly how I feel. Ask anyone around here...I think my reputation speaks for itself. I do things like that, not to garner favor with any one person, but in the hopes that it may serve as an example for others, and that the community will grow and foster others who would do the same, rather than decline into a giant marketplace where members are only out for themselves.

Thanks again for answering! That's great that you do that, and hopefully others do follow your example! But I don't know if that gives you the right to look down on others for not doing it. Also, what are your views on people using CCs as tools to trade for other items they want? Or if vendors contribute to the buying/selling of CCs for profit?

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #564 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:23:58 »
I like how we need to explain morals to people on here. Guess parents arent doing a good enough job anymore.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #565 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:28:06 »
I like how we need to explain morals to people on here. Guess parents arent doing a good enough job anymore.

As constructive as this comment is, I assume it's targeted at me so I will respond.

I am currently unaware of any moral authority that subscribes to the "though shalt not sell click clacks for profit" principle. If you'd like to make an argument as to why buying a commercially available product and then selling it for a profit is MORALLY (fundamentally even?) wrong, I am happy to hear it! that's why I asked the question in the first place!

Rhetoric is not a good argument, and I'm not sure why you are using "we" as you haven't really explained anything.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #566 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:29:14 »
Thanks again for answering! That's great that you do that, and hopefully others do follow your example! But I don't know if that gives you the right to look down on others for not doing it. Also, what are your views on people using CCs as tools to trade for other items they want? Or if vendors contribute to the buying/selling of CCs for profit?

I don't look down on other people for not giving things away. I do frown upon people selling things for a profit. It makes me sad that they would try and take advantage of their fellow forum members.

My opinion on Clack trades is that, if you like Clacks and want to collect them, buy them at retail. If you didn't get the one you wanted, maybe you can trade someone else the one you got for one you would rather have. But to buy them for use as currency is somewhat shady, especially if you're valuing the trade at the inflated Clack prices.

As far as vendors buying and selling Clacks, that should be left to Clickclack himself to decide. If he wants to use a vendor as a distributor, then that is up to him. But beyond that, vendors shouldn't be perpetuating this speculation game.

in memoriam

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #567 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:35:53 »
I don't look down on other people for not giving things away. I do frown upon people selling things for a profit. It makes me sad that they would try and take advantage of their fellow forum members.

My opinion on Clack trades is that, if you like Clacks and want to collect them, buy them at retail. If you didn't get the one you wanted, maybe you can trade someone else the one you got for one you would rather have. But to buy them for use as currency is somewhat shady, especially if you're valuing the trade at the inflated Clack prices.

As far as vendors buying and selling Clacks, that should be left to Clickclack himself to decide. If he wants to use a vendor as a distributor, then that is up to him. But beyond that, vendors shouldn't be perpetuating this speculation game.

So then by extension, you think that people should only sign up for the clacks they intend to keep?
It seems like the whole randomness of who gets to buy click clacks is not only affecting what you see as "the problem" but probably partially responsible for it. If a person is really only interested in a single click clack from a sale, he should only sign up for that clack. However, since it is random, his best bet of actually getting a clack is to sign up for all of them. The chances of him getting the one he wants is much smaller than getting one he doesn't want, so more often than not he will be putting that one up for trade or auction...

On the flip side, people who are unlucky and do not win the right to purchase from the sale, have no real way of obtaining the key caps other than to either wait for a new batch or to convince someone (who may legitimately want the cap) to part with their key cap.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:40:14 by kgrad5 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #568 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:42:24 »
I don't see why you're acting so confused about it.  He's clearly said that you shouldn't sign up for Clacks to win if you're only intention is selling it for profit or inflating the price for a trade.  If you're getting it to try and trade for another Clack, there's nothing wrong with that.  And if you can't trade it for one you want and you decide you don't want it, sell it at retail.  That's a stance many others have.  The whole Clacks for profit thing disgusts me, it's why I sold my Hack Orange for $30 shipped, even though I really needed money at the time and one had just gone for ~$100. 

The practice of selling Clacks for profit, especially ones lucked into in 4Grabs and EK raffles, is unfair to the artist who makes them and deliberately prices them where he does and it's divisive to the community and, if you ask me, morally and ethically reprehensible. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:45:53 by nubbinator »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #569 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:44:27 »
So then by extension, you think that people should only sign up for the clacks they intend to keep?

Correct. Or, if you sign up for 8 entries, be prepared to pay for up to 8. If you don't want to keep 8 Clacks, sell them at cost to someone else. Make up your own rules, such as someone who doesn't already own a Clack, or has more than 100 forum posts, or have a random drawing or whatever.

It seems like the whole randomness of who gets to buy click clacks is not only affecting what you see as "the problem" but probably partially responsible for it.

I disagree with how this is currently set up. I don't know the solution of the best way to have these sales, but there has to be some better way.

If a person is really only interested in a single click clack from a sale, he should only sign up for that clack. However, since it is random, his best bet of actually getting a clack is to sign up for all of them. The chances of him getting the one he wants is much smaller than getting one he doesn't want, so more often than not he will be putting that one up for trade or auction...

I don't have a problem with people who actually want to trade for another Clack that they would find more appealing. I have a problem with people setting up auctions to maximize their profit from people whom they should be helping, not hurting.

in memoriam

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #570 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:51:45 »
I don't see why you're acting so confused about it.

Not confused, trying to understand the standpoint. I haven't quite made up my mind on where I stand and I think hashing it all out in a civilized manner let's people gain clarity on issues like these instead of crying foul and complaining incessantly.

I also don't think the issue is that cut and dry. Also, it's helpful for everyone to understand the reasons why these problems exist such as the method for CC distribution.

Everyone is trying to maintain this sense of community, but flame wars do just as much to destroy a community as anything else. I actually think this whole discussion was insightful and I am enjoying it. If you are not, don't contribute?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #571 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 11:25:31 »
I don't see why you're acting so confused about it.

Not confused, trying to understand the standpoint. I haven't quite made up my mind on where I stand and I think hashing it all out in a civilized manner let's people gain clarity on issues like these instead of crying foul and complaining incessantly.

I also don't think the issue is that cut and dry. Also, it's helpful for everyone to understand the reasons why these problems exist such as the method for CC distribution.

Everyone is trying to maintain this sense of community, but flame wars do just as much to destroy a community as anything else. I actually think this whole discussion was insightful and I am enjoying it. If you are not, don't contribute?

I don't know. At this point, I have stated my opinion about these things to the point of detailed clarity. It just seems like you are now trying to come up with a a reason to catch me being hypocritical or something. Maybe that's not your purpose, but it kinda feels that way to me.

Am I saying I have never purchased a Clack for more than retail price? No, far from it. I got caught up in the "game" for a while. Paid too much, and sold them for what I paid. Never once flipped any for a profit. But I have matured as a forum member since then. I don't perpetuate the inflationary speculation any more from the demand side.

in memoriam

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #572 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 11:52:38 »
I wish I had all of the candy corns that could fit on my keyboard  :( Or just one MX  :eek:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #573 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 11:57:19 »
I wish I had all of the candy corns that could fit on my keyboard  :( Or just one MX  :eek:

Will this help ;)

Offline kgrad5

« Reply #574 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 12:10:56 »
I don't know. At this point, I have stated my opinion about these things to the point of detailed clarity. It just seems like you are now trying to come up with a a reason to catch me being hypocritical or something. Maybe that's not your purpose, but it kinda feels that way to me.

Not at all. I don't think the issue is black and white, people make general statements and don't really think about the specific situations that contradict their broad beliefs. I think I have an overall understanding of your side of things so thanks!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #575 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 12:30:43 »
Qtan is a solid dude. He will take care of you, I am sure.

You think I should try an return it?  I dunno.  99% sure the guy is sold out now.

Will this help ;)

That should hold me over for a while :) delicious

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #576 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 15:54:01 »

As constructive as this comment is, I assume it's targeted at me so I will respond.

I am currently unaware of any moral authority that subscribes to the "though shalt not sell click clacks for profit" principle. If you'd like to make an argument as to why buying a commercially available product and then selling it for a profit is MORALLY (fundamentally even?) wrong, I am happy to hear it! that's why I asked the question in the first place!

Rhetoric is not a good argument, and I'm not sure why you are using "we" as you haven't really explained anything.

It's wrong because you are taking advantage of a community of people. Thus degrading the quality of the community, maybe you don't care. some people do.

also you seem very passive aggresive.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #577 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 17:06:30 »

It's wrong because you are taking advantage of a community of people. Thus degrading the quality of the community, maybe you don't care. some people do.

Taking advantage? Sellers aren't forcing people to bid high prices on them. I don't see why more people aren't criticizing the BUYERS, especially those who start bidding up a clack the moment it is listed.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #578 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 17:10:45 »

Taking advantage? Sellers aren't forcing people to bid high prices on them. I don't see why more people aren't criticizing the BUYERS, especially those who start bidding up a clack the moment it is listed.

Deliberatly entering into a draw to win a keycap that you are going to sell afterwards for 4 times the price is taking advantage.  If you don't think that then I'm not sure what I can say to change your mind.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #579 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 17:12:54 »

Deliberatly entering into a draw to win a keycap that you are going to sell afterwards for 4 times the price is taking advantage.  If you don't think that then I'm not sure what I can say to change your mind.

I agree with you - entering the raffle knowing that you are only going to sell the clacks if you win is not right. But the high prices are the product of the buyers, not the sellers. The current auctions started at a dollar each.

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #580 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 17:32:34 »
The current auctions started at a dollar each.
yeah, with a $80 reserve

Offline Fuzzy Dunlop

« Reply #581 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 20:46:33 »
What about people who see CCs as a means of getting something else they want? From what I gathered, everyone who entered the EK sweepsteaks signed up for all 8 keycaps even though they really probably only had interest in 1 or 2 of them. If they win one they can then trade what they won for a CC of their choice. Their intention was never to actually keep the CC they signed up for. Is that not just as bad as people who buy them with the intention to sell?

It sounds a bit like people view CCs as a sort of digital currency... Kind of like how people who play MTGO (modo) view event tix (for those familliar) or Diablo II used SOJs, etc.
Your comment about ClickClacks becoming a form of currency touches on an important point. Part of what some find offensive about the reselling of CC's at huge markups boils down to a difference of opinion as to what makes them valuable. Some people value CC's as functional objects, or as art; others see them as a financial opportunity first, art object second. Those who value CC's as art objects are increasingly being barred from owning them due to the high cost, scarcity and demand. They understandably find it frustrating when they see those fortunate enough to buy CC's at retail quickly reselling them at huge markups.

Topre ReɅlforce 86UB   |   Razer DeathAdder Black Edition

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #582 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 21:03:48 »

Your comment about ClickClacks becoming a form of currency touches on an important point. Part of what some find offensive about the reselling of CC's at huge markups boils down to a difference of opinion as to what makes them valuable. Some people value CC's as functional objects, or as art; others see them as a financial opportunity first, art object second. Those who value CC's as art objects are increasingly being barred from owning them due to the high cost, scarcity and demand. They understandably find it frustrating when they see those fortunate enough to buy CC's at retail quickly reselling them at huge markups.

Very much this.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #583 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 21:05:20 »
These keys make too much drama.

Henceforth, my avatar will remain as such until there is no more clack drama.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #584 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 21:28:44 »

You can't blame a clack for peoples actions.  :)
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline tbc

« Reply #585 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 22:28:23 »
did anyone who win actually not auction/otherwise sell it off?  it seems like 50% of announced winners immediately flip.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #586 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 22:32:19 »
did anyone who win actually not auction/otherwise sell it off?  it seems like 50% of announced winners immediately flip.

There are a ton of people keeping them.  Some are trading them for others, but I would say that it tends to be 5-15% of buyers who flip them in the open and try to profiteer from people.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #587 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 22:38:23 »

There are a ton of people keeping them.  Some are trading them for others, but I would say that it tends to be 5-15% of buyers who flip them in the open and try to profiteer from people.

I'm waiting to trade after I got em ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #588 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 03:32:58 »

Get used to this avatar - we are going to be seeing it for a looooooooong time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #589 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 03:38:24 »

I'm waiting to trade after I got em ;D

If I had managed to get any (which I didn't) I would have kept them.  I have both MX and Thorpe keyboards to display them on.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #590 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 03:42:34 »
If I had managed to get any (which I didn't) I would have kept them.  I have both MX and Thorpe keyboards to display them on.
same here, even if there is a specific color or design i dont really like or care for, i dont even enter for the drawing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #591 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 03:59:15 »
same here, even if there is a specific color or design i dont really like or care for, i dont even enter for the drawing.

I entered for only 7 of the 8 this time.

I also have BS keyboard in case BS CC becomes available :D

Offline Forsythe

« Reply #592 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 13:41:43 »
I entered for 4, won 1! ^_^

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #593 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 14:13:48 »
I entered for 4, won 1! ^_^

Nice! Enjoy it!! :D

in memoriam

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #594 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 14:16:47 »
Is there a chance of another drawing soon?

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #595 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 14:18:30 »

Only Ek or clickclack knows! There could be another 4grabs coming up. Go look at clackfactory sub forum

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #596 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 14:22:11 »

Only Ek or clickclack knows! There could be another 4grabs coming up. Go look at clackfactory sub forum
Yeah, I stupidly sat there f5'ing for 5+ hours when it first went up, but nothing yet :/

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #597 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 14:33:19 »

Yeah, I stupidly sat there f5'ing for 5+ hours when it first went up, but nothing yet :/
Just subscribe to that board and that thread.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #598 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 15:13:40 »

lmao same here.

Someone please help, I cant stop buying clacks at outrageous prices.  :(
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 November 2013, 15:34:05 by dustinhxc »

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #599 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 18:10:21 »
 :) sigh.. I just bought an hhkb (all white, blank keys), still in the mail. I want one of these to complement it but I'm lazy, don't want to wait. Like I'm telling myself I'll buy one, and I'm done. I don't want to fall into this black hole money pit that's swallowed you people - but they are beautiful, that's for sure.