Author Topic: Need advice on a new keyboard, please  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Bodibo

Need advice on a new keyboard, please
« on: Sat, 04 October 2008, 14:51:48 »
Hello All,

Before I begin, I would like to say that this forum is great and exactly what I have been searching for over the past few weeks. It is great to finally find passionate keyboard experts.

I recently built a new PC since my laptop wasn't cutting the mustard anymore, and, like so many, I didn't really pay much attention to what keyboard to get. So I ended up getting a Cherry G15 keyboard because I really like the feel of the scissor switch keys on my Toshiba Tecra M7 laptop, and naively thought that all scissor switch keyboard are the same...boy, was I wrong. I hate this G15 keyboard: the keys are stiffer than on my laptop - to the point where I think I have pressed a key but the character doesn't come up on the screen - because the rubber domes are narrower, and the keyboard is ~ 7.5% wider. The result being that my typing speed and accuracy has fallen.

After searching many forums, including here, I have narrowed down my choices for a replacement to:

Cherry G80-1800 (beige) - black MX switches = £80.

Cherry G80-3000 (beige) - blue MX switches = £55.

Cherry G84-4100 (black) - ML switches = £46.

Enermax Aurora (black) - scissor switches = £52.

Unicomp SapceSaver (black) - buckling spring switches = £67 inc. shipping to UK.

Each of these have their strengths and weaknesses in my eyes:

G80-1800 = compact, but has the black switches (and is beige).

G80-3000 = blue switches, but is large (and is beige).

G84-4100 = compact (and black), but I am not sure about the ML switches.

Aurora = scissor switches like my laptop and has excellent reviews, but no one here has ever recommended it and so I am thinking that mechanical switches might be better and worth a try.

SpaceSaver = compact and BS switches (and black), but will a BS switch be too stiff if I am used to the soft scissor switch of my laptop?

As you can probably tell, I am very confused as to which to buy, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If I could, I would connect a Toshiba Tecra M7 keyboard to my desktop.

Thanks.

Offline ecru

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 October 2008, 16:48:02 »
I guess you are aware that the G80-1800 and G80-3000 come in black, white, brown and blue MX switches.  Availability of each, especially new, can be an issue though.   Black MX is the most common I think.  I can't comment on comparisons to a Toshiba Tecra M7 keyboard, however I quite like the brown MX switches (note I don't have a board with black or blue for comparison).  You may need to to import a different brand board from Asia to get brown MXs (eg Filco).

I went from a rubber dome keyboard to a Unicomp Customizer buckling spring, and enjoyed the change.  The only reason I changed again was for a compact keyboard.  Personally, I have a slight preference for brown MX over buckling spring now.

If you haven't tried whichever type switch in person, it is always a bit of a gamble ordering.  Well that is my excuse for owning more than one operational keyboard. :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 October 2008, 16:59:08 »
Quote from: Bodibo;9316

Unicomp SapceSaver (black) - buckling spring switches = £67 inc. shipping to UK.

SpaceSaver = compact and BS switches (and black), but will a BS switch be too stiff if I am used to the soft scissor switch of my laptop?

I remember when I was getting my Unicomp reading about how they were meant to have very stiff keys, I ended up expecting them to be much more stiff than they actually were... Theyre definitely tougher than any keyboard Ive used, but not to the point that it's really noticable once you've got used to it and broken it in. Obviously its a different typing experience to my laptop's keyboard (a Thinkpad T61) but I dont have any problem going from one to another. At the end of the day it's a case of how stiff you think too stiff is, but I'd say go for it anyway.

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 October 2008, 17:15:14 »
Quote from: ecru;9318
I guess you are aware that the G80-1800 and G80-3000 come in black, white, brown and blue MX switches.

I am not 100% sure of the G80-1800 apart from in this forum (http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=6753&highlight=g80-1800#post6753 ; http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=6232&highlight=g80-3000#post6232) where it describes it as having black mx switches. But I am pretty sure that the G80-3000 is the blue mx switches because the code is G80-3000LSCGB (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=G5M&CategorySelectedId=11117&NavigationKey=11117%2c50395 ; http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=4565&highlight=g80-3000#post4565).

Offline Korbin

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 October 2008, 21:13:23 »
I used an Aurora for about 2 years. It's a nice board, however my only beef with it was that the keypress pressure on the keys was pretty high. If you are a gamer I would definately go with a mechanical keyboard. They are much more comfortable when gaming.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 October 2008, 05:00:47 »
The G80-1800 seems to be only available with black linear switches. You can swap the switches though (check the Links in the Wiki). The G80-1800LPCEU-2 has a black case but has ANSI layout (horizontal enter).

Some G80-3000 are available with black cases even when they are not listed on Cherry's website. But if you search for them you will find them, for ex. G80-3000LSCEU-2 (blue clicky, ANSI layout).

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 October 2008, 08:56:57 »
Quote from: Korbin;9325
I used an Aurora for about 2 years. It's a nice board, however my only beef with it was that the keypress pressure on the keys was pretty high. If you are a gamer I would definately go with a mechanical keyboard. They are much more comfortable when gaming.

That is quite surprising to hear. I thought the key press would be soft. I think I will try a mechanical switch keyboard.

Quote from: lowpoly;9332
The G80-1800 seems to be only available with black linear switches. You can swap the switches though (check the Links in the Wiki). The G80-1800LPCEU-2 has a black case but has ANSI layout (horizontal enter).

Some G80-3000 are available with black cases even when they are not listed on Cherry's website. But if you search for them you will find them, for ex. G80-3000LSCEU-2 (blue clicky, ANSI layout).

I really don't have the time or patience to swap all of the switches on a G80-1800, but I found a black G80-3000 here: http://www.cherrykeyboardsrus.co.uk/G803000+Series-Details-Colour_Black-Size_PS2USB.htm

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 October 2008, 17:28:39 »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keysonic-ACK-5000-HL-Keyboard-keys/dp/B000UZJXLM

if you are still interested in laptop scissor style keyboards i'd recommend this one, its black and back lit and also comes in mac format (same keyboard just rebranded as an macally icekey) I think this keyboard is made by DSI originally but rebranded by keysonic and macally and cheaper at £30, i have the macally ice key variant, its nice for typing stuff up but not good for gaming imho
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 October 2008, 12:42:18 »
Quote from: Eclairz;9341
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keysonic-ACK-5000-HL-Keyboard-keys/dp/B000UZJXLM

if you are still interested in laptop scissor style keyboards i'd recommend this one, its black and back lit and also comes in mac format (same keyboard just rebranded as an macally icekey) I think this keyboard is made by DSI originally but rebranded by keysonic and macally and cheaper at £30, i have the macally ice key variant, its nice for typing stuff up but not good for gaming imho

Thanks, but I have convinced myself to get a mechanical switch keyboard. And since you can't get a Filco/Diatec/Topre with a UK layout, I think I will get a Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2, which has the blue switches.

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 October 2008, 16:44:37 »
I own a blue brown and black cherry keyboard, i must warn you once you use a mechanical keyboard for a long while you can never go back to a plane old keyboard. Even scissor switches feel kinda lifeless compared to mechanicals. On the other hand mechical keyboards last longer so can possibly give you more bang for your buck and keep a consistent key stroke. The only bad thing (good for people like me) are that these keyboards are alot noiser and may annoy you but mainly annoy people around you
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad