Author Topic: Preworkout Supplements  (Read 2115 times)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
Preworkout Supplements
« on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 21:40:01 »
I know there is a diet and exercise thread already, but no one really talked about supplements...

I know that they are not really mandatory and some aren't even helpful (Casein, Test Boosters, Taking protein post-workout, etc.)

But I know that pre-workouts and creatine actually do help with giving more energy and strength...

I used to use a non creatine non beta-alanine versin of C4, but it kinda felt flat to me...

Anyone have any suggestions on a good pre-workout and a cheap place to get supplements?

I really need a good boost before I go to the gym coming from a long day of being a camp counselor.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline Turkishrambo

Re: Preworkout Supplements
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 22:41:08 »
Protein post workout doesnt help? Where in gods name did you hear that. Test boosters help  but pff the shelf ones dp little. just drink some coffee. Trust me ive done a ****load of preworkouts. You wont be able to workout the sane once u stop. The best preworkouts have strong stimulants in them. Creatine is pretty good. Beta alanine is bull****. It gives u annoying tingles to make u think its doing something. My fav pre workout is jack3d but its not sold anymore. Ive done craze too but it just makes u focused and tweaked out a bit. Just stick to a proper diet and some caffeine. Dont fall for marketing crap because they just want u to spend stupid amounts on things that do little to nothing.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 July 2013, 22:47:46 by Turkishrambo »

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 02:26:15 »
Protein post workout doesnt help? Where in gods name did you hear that. Test boosters help  but pff the shelf ones dp little. just drink some coffee. Trust me ive done a ****load of preworkouts. You wont be able to workout the sane once u stop. The best preworkouts have strong stimulants in them. Creatine is pretty good. Beta alanine is bull****. It gives u annoying tingles to make u think its doing something. My fav pre workout is jack3d but its not sold anymore. Ive done craze too but it just makes u focused and tweaked out a bit. Just stick to a proper diet and some caffeine. Dont fall for marketing crap because they just want u to spend stupid amounts on things that do little to nothing.

Read several articles and research from various trusted resources and nutritionists that all negate the post-workout protein myth. It really doesn't matter when you get your protein, so long as you get your protein. It is a placebo that we think we feel better or look bigger post workout. Protein synthesis happens no matter when you take it. Did tons of research when I used to Intermittent Fast. Whey is still good if you need protein and don't have much time to cook chicken. I even felt it more when I just ate most of my protein as opposed to taking supplements/forcing to eat a ton of chicken or steak right after working out. I did no protein after working out and just calculating the amount of protein I needed and I sensed no difference which saved me a **** ton of money on buying protein.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline unnatural

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 17:37:05 »
I've tried a few pre-workouts while I was bulking this winter+spring, and ironically c4 imo was what worked best for me. I have since stopped because it interferes with my cardio after lifting. Now I usally just supplement creatine and drink a couple cups of coffee a day.

Best to just experiment and find out what works best for you.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 22:49:53 »
I've tried a few pre-workouts while I was bulking this winter+spring, and ironically c4 imo was what worked best for me. I have since stopped because it interferes with my cardio after lifting. Now I usally just supplement creatine and drink a couple cups of coffee a day.

Best to just experiment and find out what works best for you.

I am looking at C4 and Assault ATM, and sticking to Optimum Nutrition's creatine.

I've heard mostly good things about C4

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:15:08 »
The only things that will give you any real boost or help you increase muscle mass quickly are illegal anabolic steroids.  I am not going to lie to you and say nobody does it, b/c that serves no purpose.  However, I would strongly recommend that you stay away from any and all illegal drugs.  In the end, it's just not worth it.  Also stay away from painkillers and that nonsense, you can get seriously injured doing that.  You got great advice above which is a cup of coffee before workout, and eating lean protein post work-out.  I would stay away from the carbs.  If you cannot get home quickly and make a chicken breast or piece of fish for yourself (or even a turkey sandwich), then protein supplements will have to suffice.  Please remember that protein supplements are supposed to be just that:  supplements to your already healthy diet.  They are not meant to be your diet.  I don't know what your goals are, but unless you are trying to put on 15 pounds of muscle in a year, I would say you don't even need supplements, if you have a healthy diet.  Vitamins on the other hand can help.   Like L-arginine, L-carnitine, Co-Q-10, biotin, and a well rounded multi-vitamin cantaining all of the following:  B and B-complex vitamins, including Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Pyridoxine (B6), Folate, Cobalamin (B12), and Pantothenic Acid.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:26:46 »
The only things that will give you any real boost or help you increase muscle mass quickly are illegal anabolic steroids.  I am not going to lie to you and say nobody does it, b/c that serves no purpose.  However, I would strongly recommend that you stay away from any and all illegal drugs.  In the end, it's just not worth it.  Also stay away from painkillers and that nonsense, you can get seriously injured doing that.  You got great advice above which is a cup of coffee before workout, and eating lean protein post work-out.  I would stay away from the carbs.  If you cannot get home quickly and make a chicken breast or piece of fish for yourself (or even a turkey sandwich), then protein supplements will have to suffice.  Please remember that protein supplements are supposed to be just that:  supplements to your already healthy diet.  They are not meant to be your diet.  I don't know what your goals are, but unless you are trying to put on 15 pounds of muscle in a year, I would say you don't even need supplements, if you have a healthy diet.  Vitamins on the other hand can help.   Like L-arginine, L-carnitine, Co-Q-10, biotin, and a well rounded multi-vitamin cantaining all of the following:  B and B-complex vitamins, including Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Pyridoxine (B6), Folate, Cobalamin (B12), and Pantothenic Acid.

I need to get back on using a good vitamin because I need that healthy boost in my life. I tried a low to no carb diet, and I actually suffered a lot during my workouts. I just had no energy even with coffee or preworkout supplements. I found that having a good measure of whole-wheat carbs like brown rice or whole wheat bread in my meals that I loss weight and I sustained more muscle. I really need to get back into eating healthy again. I'm not looking to be putting 15 lbs of muscle, just trying to cut atm, and then add muscle after getting a good cut.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:36:35 »

I need to get back on using a good vitamin because I need that healthy boost in my life. I tried a low to no carb diet, and I actually suffered a lot during my workouts. I just had no energy even with coffee or preworkout supplements. I found that having a good measure of whole-wheat carbs like brown rice or whole wheat bread in my meals that I loss weight and I sustained more muscle. I really need to get back into eating healthy again. I'm not looking to be putting 15 lbs of muscle, just trying to cut atm, and then add muscle after getting a good cut.

Okay, you are doing the right thing on carbs.  You don't need my low carb advice.  My advice is for the people who think eating a stack of pancakes is a good pre-workout "carb load", or a big bowl of spaghetti. 

Basically, it sounds like you need to keep doing what you're doing.  As for motivation, that is the problem we all face.  Maybe the answer is to break down your workouts into smaller goals and think about 6 week blocks of training, with specific milestones for each week.  Just don't go mental if you miss a milestone.  You have to remember that any exercise is better than no exercise.  I know a guy who does the 6-week thing and takes every 7th week off as a reward (and rest period).  Don't forget that sometimes we need a break to rest our bodies and our minds.  If you are dreading going to the gym, just blow it off.  Skipping a workout now and again can sometimes make us more focused next time we go to the gym.  Also if you are feeling irritable, stressed out, or depressed you might need 2-3 days off, or even a week.  Don't be afraid to rest.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:40:46 »

Okay, you are doing the right thing on carbs.  You don't need my low carb advice.  My advice is for the people who think eating a stack of pancakes is a good pre-workout "carb load", or a big bowl of spaghetti. 

Basically, it sounds like you need to keep doing what you're doing.  As for motivation, that is the problem we all face.  Maybe the answer is to break down your workouts into smaller goals and think about 6 week blocks of training, with specific milestones for each week.  Just don't go mental if you miss a milestone.  You have to remember that any exercise is better than no exercise.  I know a guy who does the 6-week thing and takes every 7th week off as a reward (and rest period).  Don't forget that sometimes we need a break to rest our bodies and our minds.  If you are dreading going to the gym, just blow it off.  Skipping a workout now and again can sometimes make us more focused next time we go to the gym.  Also if you are feeling irritable, stressed out, or depressed you might need 2-3 days off, or even a week.  Don't be afraid to rest.

It is so easily said but hard to do for me when it comes to not stressing out about it and stuff like that. I always like trying to get the max results when it comes to things like this. Trying to find that motivation and sticking to it is seriously like 25% of the struggle...especially 5 day a week workdays when you are shouting and helping children out at a camp. I get so tired that I just don't want to go to the gym. I just need to push myself to go at least once, because I know that as soon as I start lifting again, I am going to get addicted to it again. What do you think about cardio. I used to do HIIT after lifting, but read several articles that doing low intensity walks are better for you when it comes to weighlifters.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:41:57 »
I would be very cautious before using any of these products. If you take creatine for example, well basically they just make your muscles bigger by letting them absorb more water (that's what I heard) and so they can have more nutrient to them. The problem is that when you stop taking creatine, well your muscles lose this effect, and you end up losing the gain until you start using creatine again. But the real problem is that creatine, like all of these super concentrated products, are VERY HARD to digest for your body. So basically, you are ruining your digestive health WAY faster than you should. And that's when these products don't have even worse effects. Even these pacts of concentrated proteins are not easy to digest, and they are probably the least hard on your body, and easier if taken like they should, and with moderation.

I am no expert, but my friend studied in training (kinesio thing) and well he heard a lot of bad things from most products. If you want to improve your gains, try to at least focus on improving your training session first. Probably the hardest way, but probably the one that will give you the best results. And if you want to use proteins or supplements, well try to get a lot of information on them first.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:48:07 »
I would be very cautious before using any of these products. If you take creatine for example, well basically they just make your muscles bigger by letting them absorb more water (that's what I heard) and so they can have more nutrient to them. The problem is that when you stop taking creatine, well your muscles lose this effect, and you end up losing the gain until you start using creatine again. But the real problem is that creatine, like all of these super concentrated products, are VERY HARD to digest for your body. So basically, you are ruining your digestive health WAY faster than you should. And that's when these products don't have even worse effects. Even these pacts of concentrated proteins are not easy to digest, and they are probably the least hard on your body, and easier if taken like they should, and with moderation.

I am no expert, but my friend studied in training (kinesio thing) and well he heard a lot of bad things from most products. If you want to improve your gains, try to at least focus on improving your training session first. Probably the hardest way, but probably the one that will give you the best results. And if you want to use proteins or supplements, well try to get a lot of information on them first.

I used to be on creatine till I ran out and didn't have money, and I actually didn't lose a lot of my muscles once I stopped. I loss more of the strength gain though...but not training for 2 weeks also played a part in this. I did however had the worst poops ever when I first started. I have an iron stomach though so it went away within the next couple of days.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:57:22 »
Cardio is the best fat burner in the universe.  Just don't over do it.  I don't know how much you weigh, but the more mass you have the harder high impact cardio exercise is on your ankles, knees, and hips.  If you are 5 foot 6 inches tall, and weigh 250 pounds, then you have to stick to walking.  If you are 5' 11" and 185 lbs or so, then you can do more heavier impact cardio, and even running.  You just don't want to wear out the cartilage in your knees by age 35.  And no matter how much you weigh, walking gives you 80% of the cardio benefit of running, it just takes longer.  A 3 mile walk takes a lot longer than a 3 mile jog or run.  But again, anything is better than nothing.  I think they say you only really need like 20-30 minutes of walking per day for good cardio health.  Obviously if you want the ultimate cut, then you need a little more.  I actually prefer swimming, since it is no-impact.  But you need access to a pool. 

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 00:01:52 »
Cardio is the best fat burner in the universe.  Just don't over do it.  I don't know how much you weigh, but the more mass you have the harder high impact cardio exercise is on your ankles, knees, and hips.  If you are 5 foot 6 inches tall, and weigh 250 pounds, then you have to stick to walking.  If you are 5' 11" and 185 lbs or so, then you can do more heavier impact cardio, and even running.  You just don't want to wear out the cartilage in your knees by age 35.  And no matter how much you weigh, walking gives you 80% of the cardio benefit of running, it just takes longer.  A 3 mile walk takes a lot longer than a 3 mile jog or run.  But again, anything is better than nothing.  I think they say you only really need like 20-30 minutes of walking per day for good cardio health.  Obviously if you want the ultimate cut, then you need a little more.  I actually prefer swimming, since it is no-impact.  But you need access to a pool.

I think walking might be best for me because I have a bad ankle on my right, as well as a bad hamstring on my right because of a dance incident.