Author Topic: Hello and thank you for this forum  (Read 1344 times)

Offline rvjansen

Hello and thank you for this forum
« on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 05:21:12 »
Hi, I am René Vincent Jansen and I am so happy to have discovered this forum. I remember the sad feeling when companies threw thousands of perfectly good keyboards in the skip to replace them with awful and cheap non-working ones. I have carried around a model M for years to use at jobs - I am an indepent contractor - and will do again when the state of the economy allows. We know that we can be a bit more idiosyncratic when we are scarce.

I have enough IBM model M's in storage to last me a lifetime. Especially because they never break. Reading some of the postings here, I will have a look and pick out the oldest one I have for daily use. This message is typed on a 1990 model, with the cursive logo, attached to a Mac Pro - command switch mapped to caps lock, over a sitecom PS/2-USB interface. I think I have one keyboard with a square metal logo, and I am going to check which year that is. Years ago I gave away a 1987 model that I got with my original PS/2 model50.

Also, some ten years ago I ordered a Unicomp Emulator 3270 keyboard - I grew up on the real 3278's and 3179 terminals. I loved the extra hardware clicker that some of the older models had - the keys would go nice and soft after approximately 5 years but the clicker kept on clicking. I never could use it properly on my Macs - missing some essential function keys for Emacs - but now I know why and I am going to pick it up and work on it- probably attaching it to a raspberry Pi running hercules, removing the jumper and changing the linux drivers. This is so great!

In the meantime, I cannot understand why people hurt their fingers and make all kinds of typos's due to the abysmal keyboards they have. I must be that they don't know what a keyboard is.

best regards,

René.

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 July 2013, 06:09:11 by rvjansen »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Hello and thank you for this forum
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 08:17:20 »
Welcome!! Look forward to seeing/hearing more about your keyboards!!

Offline Narcix

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 12:29:20 »
Welcome!! :)
Keycool 87 Grey PBT with mx blues

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 12:31:19 »
Welcome I hope you enjoy your stay :D
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline doraemon

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 12:33:40 »
I'm new here too  ;D

Offline Yzeets

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 15:32:50 »
Welcome to gh! :D

Offline rvjansen

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 06:21:43 »
Well I got my oldest model M out of the storage cabinet; it has the square IBM logo on the right hand top and it missed the back label and some keycaps, which I have borrowed from a 1991 model M that was also there. (I also collect guitars: changing keycaps would immediately make this a 'parts-model M'). The cable on it has P/N 61X8507 EC A49851 Victor UK W 25 /87 on it (and I guess that is week 25 of 1987. But I am not 100% sure this was the original cable.

Without opening it up, is there some way to interrogate the keyboard about its provenance? And by the way, the green leds do not work on this model. On the other hand, the touch of it is really, really majestic - I have the 1990 board next to it and this one seems to be well ' broken in'. This is the keyboard that I used at a bank (well, ABN AMRO) on a 2000-2007 assignment. Knowing that it is the oldest in the collection, I have re-adopted it as the main keyboard at home - still with caps lock switched to command.

I am now close to installing a Raspi with Hercules and running 1985 MVS on it with my 122-key Unicomp attached to it. I am worried, though, about the current that these old board sink - off to browsing the fora again.

René.