Author Topic: Plans and questions for PBT caps  (Read 3109 times)

Offline divito

Plans and questions for PBT caps
« on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 20:53:26 »
Hello all,

I've been a long-time lurker and have recently begun seriously considering a mod for my Das Ultimate, as well as a few new keyboard models to tinker with.

Firstly, I wanted to slowly dip my toe into altering a keyboard through sprucing up the rather bland Das. The black on black, along with the gloss, has slowly lost its appeal over time. The initial thing I wanted to start with, was a painting of the casing, or at the very least, a vinyl wrap.

Here is the mock-up I threw together using WASD's tool and a quick Photoshop:

As for the keycaps, which this particular sub-forum is about, the grey ones indicated in the mock-up are to be feng's zinc 37-key set. My question to all experienced members is how would you go about getting the white keys? I'm not opposed to leaving the Das' original black in those other spots, but what's the easiest and cheapest way to acquire PBT white (and possibly black) for those positions?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:26:02 by divito »
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Plans and questions~
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 21:08:45 »
If you're willing to do DSA profile, grab them from Signature Plastics.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 21:12:50 »
Not sure how good zinc alphas would feel.  I have a zinc escape key and I cant imagine using that to type with.  I would also recommend just painting instead of vinyl wrapping.  I tried vinyl wrapping my QFR and the results weren't terrible but I would have been happier with a paint job.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline reiuorw

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 08:14:25 »
getting from SP or you can buy leopold fc 700r white blank and get mods from it.

but it may cost a lot

Offline divito

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 15:08:20 »
Not sure how good zinc alphas would feel.  I have a zinc escape key and I cant imagine using that to type with.  I would also recommend just painting instead of vinyl wrapping.  I tried vinyl wrapping my QFR and the results weren't terrible but I would have been happier with a paint job.

Thanks for the input. What about the wrap made you desire a paint job more?

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 16:45:35 »

Thanks for the input. What about the wrap made you desire a paint job more?

I think a paint job looks much nicer.  Also I couldnt really figure out a way to do the corners without having to cut stuff and fold over another layer (kind of like when you wrap a present).  If you do just the top and not the sides it may look different though.  Also I don't like the carbon fiber design you picked :S  just because I've seen so many carbon fiber mods.

Offline divito

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 19:20:18 »
Looks like someone already did a carbon fiber mod:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1069741

That's sort of one of the looks I wanted.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 22:10:28 »
Looks like someone already did a carbon fiber mod:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1069741

That's sort of one of the looks I wanted.

After actually looking at my old das, I guess it wouldn't be as bad (for the corners) as my QFR since the top panel is only ~0.5cm thick instead of the whole case.  If you like the way it looks go for it.  I'm just not a fan of the CF so I am biased.  I went with a brushed blue steel(i think that's the name) to try and make it a little more unique.

Offline divito

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 17:05:08 »
After actually looking at my old das, I guess it wouldn't be as bad (for the corners) as my QFR since the top panel is only ~0.5cm thick instead of the whole case.  If you like the way it looks go for it.  I'm just not a fan of the CF so I am biased.  I went with a brushed blue steel(i think that's the name) to try and make it a little more unique.
I'll definitely consider some other types of vinyl that exists. I'm just trying to keep the contrast at a certain level given the zinc and white keys.

Offline PepperPanda

Re: Plans and questions for PBT caps
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 15:46:54 »
Mechanicalkeyboards.com have a blank white keycap set for sale. Would be the same profile as the zinc keys. Don't know where you can get just modifiers though.

Offline Kabooshy

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 00:23:39 »
I actually did the wrap myself a few months before

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1er94h/modification_vinyl_wrapped_my_daskeyboard/

People are right about the corners, no matter how much heating and stretching you do it will never look quite as perfect as a good paint job.
The texture of the wrap itself is pretty nice but I can't really think of any keycaps that would go well with it apart from the original Das caps (and possibly these, I want to buy them but they are out of stock http://www.qwerkeys.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_72&product_id=120 ).
If you don't like it you can always just peel it off though, but you can also do that if you Plastidip as well.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 00:48:16 »
Das has some nonstandard caps to take into account on the bottom row. Not all sets have these, in fact most need some sort of addon.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 00:59:32 »
Das has some nonstandard caps to take into account on the bottom row. Not all sets have these, in fact most need some sort of addon.

Das are standard size.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 01:13:00 »

Das are standard size.

Huh. Was there a nonstandard version at any point? I seem to recall a friend with a das not being able to get caps.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 01:19:37 »

Das are standard size.

Huh. Was there a nonstandard version at any point? I seem to recall a friend with a das not being able to get caps.

Oh i dont know, I just know my old one without the media keys is standard size.