Author Topic: How to wrap and protect your valuable big thing.  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Parak

How to wrap and protect your valuable big thing.
« on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 07:16:42 »
It's a dangerous world out there. Who knows what strange contaminants your precious might get if you don't use protection?!

That is, talking about one of these:

As some may know, beam springs typically come with a contamination shield. This was due to beam springs being rather prone to debris ingress that will easily prevent proper operation of the switch - and don't even think about liquids. Basically they were made to match each keyboard, with very thin membrane over each switch to not affect the operation and feel, and a thicker one over the rest of the metal. Over the 30+ years, the shields turn into something like this:

...yeah. So they basically disintegrate, and can actually contaminate the switch by doing so. But they generally do their job well, and after taking it off, you're left with what hopefully is a clean board:

...which is fine if you want to look at it from behind the glass in a museum. But what about actually using it, especially since
that's now possible? Can something be done to protect them, obviously considering the rarity and the need to preserve them?

Well, it's a little tricky, but here's what I came up with after a bit of a brainstorm with Soarer. Grab some poly, not too thin and not too thick. About 1-2 mil, ymmv:

Well that's all fine and good, but you can't just put the keycaps on that. If you do, then pushing down on one of the keycaps will push down all the ones around it as well. What you have to do is put them on in stages, pushing the poly down into the grooves between the switches. That way each switch gets its own little mound of poly, mimicking the original IBM membrane. This will take a few attempts to get right - good thing that poly sheets are dirt cheap. I found that the best way is to put the keycaps on from left to right. Don't skimp, and make sure that you have at least a foot or two of poly on left, top, and bottom of the board, and more than that on the right side as that's where most of the scrunching will come from. First attempt, where way too little poly left on the bottom:

Eventually, doing it slowly column by column, and using a paperclip to push the poly down on all sides of the switch:

You can see how I make the grooves in advance on all sides. Don't be tempted to do it by row, as then you won't have enough poly to cover the vertical grooves. Make sure to check each switch as you put on each keycap. It should not disturb any of the surrounding ones. After redoing it a few times where I forgot to scrunch the poly up for a switch or two, it will hopefully look like this:

Make sure that the feel of each switch and in general is unaffected. Cover on:

Now put that thing to use, boys and girls, and enjoy it!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: How to wrap and protect your valuable big thing.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 07:22:30 »
Cool, this inspired me to read about beam spring keyboards! Good work and photos.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 07:39:29 »
Ingenuity at its finest!!

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 04:45:21 »
Awesome, that's absolutely fantastic  ;D

My 5251 had a completely destroyed contamination shield when I got it, so I removed it. Now I have both that board and my 3727 converted to USB I find I use the 3727 much more as it has a much better sound and feel. The bare 5251 feels much more tinny and looser than the 3727, which is very tight and nice.

I know you said this polywrap matches the feel of the original board, but how did you find the board compares without any shield at all? I'm wondering if the 5251 feels poorer because of the lack of shield, or whether it just had a harder life than the sweet 3727.
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 04:50:08 »
BTW: what is that capacitive PCB underneath your 3278? What does it belong to---obviously not the 3278 in the picture? It gave me a fright for a second as it seems to have more than 4 rows or something, and I can't see an edge connector. It sure looks like beamspring though with those big rectangular pads.
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline Parak

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 10:20:03 »
The 5251 does feel somewhat different, but it still has its shield which is somewhat thicker and impacts the feel more. I've yet to refurbish it, too. It might be the side effect of having a lesser quality case, but the main 'sandwich' should be identical, so..

That PCB is something that I happened to have lying around.. it's a prototype for a custom F that still needs to be tested with a custom controller which may or may not be on the way. Still pending, in any case. You should hang out on IRC more to talk about this stuff :D

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 17:13:05 »
Thanks for the info. The case may have something to do with it but I'm convinced there's a key-feel difference as well (tested scientifically by me using them at work while playing music loudly through my canalphones), which may just be my crap 5251.

Whoah custom Model F. Cool man. Model F controller is next stop for me after Displaywriter controller. It sounds like there might be a few more gotchas with the Model F though.