Author Topic: Which wrist rest do you use?  (Read 10912 times)

Offline skriefal

Which wrist rest do you use?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 28 November 2008, 15:30:06 »
After you've submitted your inquiry it should be visible in your messages list (or whatever they call it, I don't remember the exact name).  It's similar to the private messaging facility found on many Internet forums.  In a day or two they'll respond with the quote.  You can then choose to accept or deny the order.  IIRC the quote does not include shipping costs.  You should also get a notification email when the quote is available.

I did this a few days ago to get a quote for a Filco "tenkeyless" keyboard with blue Cherry switches.

Offline lam47

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 28 November 2008, 16:19:56 »
I cant have sent it then. Try again.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 28 November 2008, 18:25:44 »
Quote from: lam47;12771
I cant have sent it then. Try again.

I've made that mistake w/crescent-shop as well ... there's a two-step process for posting to the bulletin board (IIRC, preview and post), and the second step is easy to forget or overlook.

I've used crescent-shop for three purchases -- including one where the package got mis-routed and delayed -- and they were impeccibly professional.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline lam47

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 28 November 2008, 23:33:03 »
They are taking a 2000 yen fee on a 400 yen item.
Works out at $32.51 before shipping.
If only I knew someone in Japan.
Perhaps the shop itself would ship internationally I don't know.

What do you guys think.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 29 November 2008, 00:51:37 »
That's alot. Abidko only want 550 Yen for 1-1000 Yen.

It looks like you might be able to buy directly from Rakuten:
http://event.rakuten.co.jp/borderless/index_en.html

Offline lam47

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 29 November 2008, 01:22:02 »
Quote from: Chloe;12804
That's alot. Abidko only want 550 Yen for 1-1000 Yen.

It looks like you might be able to buy directly from Rakuten:
http://event.rakuten.co.jp/borderless/index_en.html

I love you ;)

Offline lam47

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 29 November 2008, 01:50:36 »
Jesus they charge A lot of fees too.
I will give abidko a try.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 14:08:28 »
Quote from: lowpoly;9713
Suntan lotion is really bad for electronic devices. My wife killed a digital camera and an iPod when that stuff spilled in her bag. Killed the exterior and the electronics. Thankfully, both the camera and the iPod were cheap models.

Finally found the camera, here it is:

It will switch on but the trigger doesn't work anymore. The button under the lens is also stuck.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 15:20:19 »
Quote from: lowpoly;17237
Finally found the camera, here it is:

Show Image

It will switch on but the trigger doesn't work anymore. The button under the lens is also stuck.

Hell, you fixed your M2 and built that sweet keyboard, I am sure you can fix your camera. ;)

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 15:21:51 »
:)

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline jrib

• http://www.jrib.net
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 27 June 2009, 18:48:26 »
Quote from: bigpook;66339
I use a imak ergobead thingy.  It naturally conforms to my wrists and makes typing easier for me. Its much nicer than having my wrists rest on the desk itself.

I just picked one of these up.  It felt like it was the most comfortable one at staples, but it's bit thick to use with my filco.  I think I'll try to remove some of the beads and learn to sew so I can sew it back together :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 27 June 2009, 19:06:26 »
The filco wrist rests are quite nice, that said, they are quite exensive for a simple (if well made) rest.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 June 2009, 20:39:57 by ch_123 »

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 27 June 2009, 19:25:28 »
Quote from: ch_123;99674
The filco wrist rests are quite nice, that said, they are a bit of a ripoff.

haha, thanks for your honesty ch, but may I ask how they are a ripoff? A good quality leather belt can cost you anywhere from $25 to $100 and that's just a treated piece of leather with a buckle; no memory foam core, and no steel backplate.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 27 June 2009, 20:39:14 »
Quote from: majestouch;99679
haha, thanks for your honesty ch, but may I ask how they are a ripoff? A good quality leather belt can cost you anywhere from $25 to $100 and that's just a treated piece of leather with a buckle; no memory foam core, and no steel backplate.

I don't think my post come across like I intended it to... Rip-off is perhaps too strong a word in hindsight, but I mean it in the way that some people around here think Topre keyboards are overpriced - you are paying for something that is particularily well made, but it isn't necessarily twice as good as something half the price, as opposed to something that is bad but overpriced.

(That said, I don't regret buying it, and I probably will get a Topre keyboard someday :P)
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 June 2009, 20:42:47 by ch_123 »

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 27 June 2009, 21:03:18 »
None. I don't rest my wrists when typing and I try as much as I can not to rest my wrists on the desk either when I'm not typing. The very rare times that I do rest my wrists while typing is when I'm using an ergo keyboard.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 27 June 2009, 21:37:14 »
Quote from: ripster;99675
I like mine - that rich smell of Corinthian leather!

Show Image

P.S.  Classic marketing - there is no such thing as Corinthian leather.  Almost as good as the Topre Red Esc key.  You know your life is empty without one.

P.P.S.  This post is old but see that camera up there.  That would be your keyboard if you ever put on bug repellent (DEET) and then started typing.

Just from the name of that car, "Cordoba," and the fact that Ricardo Montalban is standing next to it, you know it doesn't need any pimping.

The lotion looks to only have affected the paint on that camera.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 29 June 2009, 02:14:06 »
Quote from: ripster;99675
I like mine - that rich smell of Corinthian leather!

Show Image

P.S.  Classic marketing - there is no such thing as Corinthian leather.  Almost as good as the Topre Red Esc key.  You know your life is empty without one.

P.P.S.  This post is old but see that camera up there.  That would be your keyboard if you ever put on bug repellent (DEET) and then started typing.

Corinthian leather. It tasks me! It tasks me! And I shall have it!

Anyhow, the only wrist rest I use is for my mouse:
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2009, 02:24:01 by Rajagra »

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 29 June 2009, 02:18:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;99674
The filco wrist rests are quite nice, that said, they are quite exensive for a simple (if well made) rest.

I like my Filco as well, and I think its price is about at the limit for what it would be worth.

Quick review:  the leather is nice; the padding is firm (which is my personal preference); and best of all, the entire bottom surface is a rubber no-skid foot.  That thing doesn't go anywhere.  Count me a satisfied customer.

I've considered taking a yellow highlighter to the white threading to give it that Doc Martens look, but haven't yet had the nerve.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)