Author Topic: DSI Modular Mac - in black!  (Read 2089 times)

Offline wellington1869

DSI Modular Mac - in black!
« on: Mon, 20 October 2008, 14:21:34 »
The folks at dsi say its coming shortly:

...the White Mac model with the Blue or Brown Cherry Switches has been released. DSI is planning to introduce a black PC version within several months.

I'm a big fan of modularity.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 October 2008, 14:58:52 »
I would like to get a black one, at the very least, just to try some Cherry switches, but they are awfully proud of them at $149 (on sale, even).  If they were, say, $49, I would jump all over it.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 October 2008, 15:02:05 »
If they were, say, $49, I would jump all over it.

i emailed him back to double check if the black is going to be a "pc version" and what that means. Cuz elsewherein the email he indicated it may not have volume keys.  With a pc version they would double or triple their market obviously. I also mentioned that even at $99 I myself would be all over it ;) $49 of course would be a no-brainer.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 October 2008, 15:06:01 »
just to try some Cherry switches

In a week or so I'm going to write up my review of blues vs browns (having just used them for the first time *ever*) in comparison to the two extremes of buckling spring and membranes. I'll post it in the keyboard review section.  I have to say I'm leaning towards the browns at the moment.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 October 2008, 17:30:07 »
More from DSI:

The mac button on the mac keyboard will function as the windows key when plugged into the pc.   The pc version will have the windows hotkeys.  Honestly, we do not have a pc version demo yet, so I cannot say at this time whether or not it will have the volume keys.

I doubt we'll see any price reduction in the near future ;) He says they havent had any problems selling them ;)