Author Topic: Importing Unicomp into UK  (Read 2227 times)

Offline amkey

Importing Unicomp into UK
« on: Tue, 21 October 2008, 16:04:28 »
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone has ever imported a Unicomp Customizer keyboard into the UK?

The cost of the keyboard is $69 with approx. $45 postage. However, I'm unsure if there is any duty and/or VAT to pay on top of this.

Has anyone ever done this and if so, how much did they end up paying in total?

Thanks.

Offline amkey

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 October 2008, 05:16:37 »
Hi again,

If no one knows specifically on the duty applicable to a unicomp, then has anyone imported a keyboard into the UK from the US, or indeed anywhere else?

And if so, how was it treated in terms of duty and VAT?

Thanks.

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 October 2008, 06:44:01 »
When importing things in to the UK, it is best to try and get marked as a "gift" because then it won't be subject to duty. I don't think VAT is an issue because the item isn't sold in the UK; Unicomp will add whatever sales tax they have for the US.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 October 2008, 09:55:26 »
Got my Unicomp imported here (Ireland) and didn't have to pay any taxes. Not sure if Customs works differently over in UK though.

Offline vils

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 October 2008, 17:53:25 »
When importing to an EU country the customs will add VAT if they spot the package. They will also add custom fees andspecial fees if there are any. For keyboards it's only the VAT and handeling fees. (It's like you're buying from Jersey). Mostly the pacakages slip through the customs net.....sighh......crossing fingers

/Vils
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.