Author Topic: Cherry switch colors and their ref n° => Ergoforce Cherry?  (Read 2040 times)

Offline NeoY2k

Cherry switch colors and their ref n° => Ergoforce Cherry?
« on: Sat, 25 October 2008, 16:09:00 »
Hi!
I'm new here and happy I found a community of mad people like you xD
Well I must be mad too so...

Here is my problem: I am French!
What does it implies? That I have to find a 105 keys layout! And, if possible, AZERTY written on the keycaps.

What can I have?
- Das Keyboard III euro layout. Nothing on keycaps, small backspace key, blue cherries.
- Steelseries 7g: AZERTY euro layout, more or less Filco aesthethics, but wait... Small backspace cap. And black cherries.
- Steelseries 6g: AZERTY euro layout, with FULL BACKSPACE KEY YEAH! . Aesthetics are... Well... Not that bad. I'd prefer Majestouch but... And black cherries.
- Majestouch. I have to go with the Japanese version. Small backspace key, small space key, but brown switches.

Second, I come from a KT2001 Keytronic keyboard. It's outstanding. No really! I know it's not mechanical but it has a really good feedback. But it makes so much noise O_o!!!
I like the shape of this keyboard. Steelseries 6g has more or less this curved shape (well, less curved).
And I Like the Ergoforce! Not all keys require the same force.

I tried the 7g, and I must confess: I don't like black cherries. It lacks feedback to me. Listening at Das Keyboard clips and various "blue cherry" clips, and remembering my old Olivetti keyboard, I have to admit these are too loud to me.

So what am I going to do?
1- Buy a Steelseries 6g with french keys for nearly 150$
2- Buy cherry switches from mouser (I'm an electronic designer so that will just be parts to add to the list...).
3 - Manage to get at least two action levels. So I'll MIX switches.

So here you come into play.
Could you tell me:

- What type of mounting is used in Steelseries 6g: "face plate mount" or "pcb mount"?

- What color corresponds to which?
I think that (mx1a - ) C1NN or C1NW corresponds to brown cherries?11
E1NN/E1NW blue cherries?
11NN/11NW black cherries?
21NW may be green or grey cherries?
31NN/31NW: What is "alternate action" ???

I'll keep you up to date with my mod :)

I see I could mix:
- Brown cherries for most keys
- Brown cherries with black spring for heavier keys
- Grey? cherries for spacebar?
- Could you suggest others or other combinations?

Thank you very much!
Nicolas

Edit : wow I didn't knew you hid something under the
=> combination. :)

Offline wellington1869

Cherry switch colors and their ref n° => Ergoforce Cherry?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 October 2008, 21:11:11 »
from the digikey catalog page (zoom into bottom of the page or see attached pic)

PCB MOUNT is the one where the tabs are visible/accessible if you remove the keycap. Face Plate Mount is the one that in most cases requires you to desolder/solder the switch.

"I think that (mx1a - ) C1NN or C1NW corresponds to brown cherries?11 "
-- I think so too
"E1NN/E1NW blue cherries?"
-- I believe so
"11NN/11NW black cherries?"
--- i think so

"21NW may be green or grey cherries?
31NN/31NW: What is "alternate action" ???"

The rest of the colors I believe are the heavier switches used in keys like the spacebar. These are green/gray/etc.

I dont see white switches anymore in these product catalogs, they may be discontinued. There are also apparently two types of white switches out there, a non-clicky one that has been described as a "more tactile brown" and a clicky white which seems to be an early version of the blues.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3