Author Topic: Cherry G80-3000 has just arrived.  (Read 8734 times)

Offline DMuk

Cherry G80-3000 has just arrived.
« on: Tue, 28 October 2008, 09:12:10 »
Well, my keyboard has just turned up. The blue Cherries are great to type on. Really light compared with the Alps based Viglen I have been using. Nice click too, not quite so loud as before.

I was a bit shocked that the build quality of this 'board doesn't seem so great. The first thing I noticed is that it feels really light. Compared to the Viglen that is:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=619

Obviously the Cherry doesn't have a metal backing plate.

The area where the led's are can be pressed in quite a lot, as can the two halves of the 'board.

The next thing that bothered me is that the keys have a bit of plastic sticking out from where they were molded, on the vertical edge at 12 o'clock position. Not a massive problem, but not expected of a premium keyboard, I don't think.

The right shift key has a fair amount of wobble. Maybe there is no metal clip in it?

Maybe I'm just being fussy, but even though it is great to type on, I feel a bit let down on the construction side.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 October 2008, 10:44:50 »
pics?

Offline DMuk

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 October 2008, 11:23:19 »
These show the plastic mould leftovers I mentioned.

You can see most clearly on the number row in this pic:

and this should be clear too:

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 October 2008, 15:58:55 »
Quote from: DMuk;9978
Obviously the Cherry doesn't have a metal backing plate.

No. The metal plate is usually needed because the pcb (which is basically paper with some additives) will bend easily. The Cherry has plastic ribs under the pcb as support. You can see it in the pic I posted in that other thread where the alpha area is cut out.

Weight feels like value but I think, as long as the 'board doesn't slide around it's easier to relocate a lighter board.

The G80 is around since many, many years and it's quite obvious that Cherry used the time to streamline the manufacturing process.

The area where the led's are can be pressed in quite a lot, as can the two halves of the 'board.

Not that it matters but the LEDs are SMD parts placed directly on the controller pcb. The case just has a scattering lens here. This won't add stability.

The right shift key has a fair amount of wobble. Maybe there is no metal clip in it?

I can check that tomorrow but I think we have different layouts, I have ANSI with very long right shift. Didn't notice that yet.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline DMuk

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 October 2008, 16:21:01 »
Thanks for the detailed reply lowpoly. I'm not that disappointed, just surprised that this keyboard feels 'cheap' to me. Other than the switches, the whole 'board feels very flimsy.
If I had tried it in a shop, I'd have probably not wanted to pay £50 for it (62 Euros).

Still, it sure does type nice.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 October 2008, 16:40:59 »
Get a Northgate.  It would probably survive under direct mortar fire.  It takes two people (or one Chuck Norris Index Finger) to lift my Evolution.  Well, just kidding on the two people part, but it does weigh about 10 lbs.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 October 2008, 05:41:18 »

My right shift key doesn't wobble more than any of the other large keys.

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 October 2008, 06:01:30 »

Mine seems fine - there is no depression of the board when I press it.

Quote from: lowpoly;10012
My right shift key doesn't wobble more than any of the other large keys.

Neither does mine.

Offline DMuk

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 October 2008, 06:40:00 »
Must just be me then. Have you guys got the blobs of plastic as shown on the photos?

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 October 2008, 06:53:59 »
I have those.

Must just be me then.
Try to pull the key. The level mechanism is just clipped in, maybe it came loose.

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 October 2008, 10:23:35 »
Quote from: DMuk;10014
Must just be me then. Have you guys got the blobs of plastic as shown on the photos?

Yes, but I can only just feel them when I run my finger across the back of the key.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 October 2008, 12:35:06 »
When I got my G84-4100 I felt disappointed with the build quality. The top and bottom half of the casing don't line up to produce a flat edge on any of the sides. I recently got a Compaq MX 11800 with the same problem. The keys are fine on both though.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 October 2008, 14:59:07 »
I recently got a Compaq MX 11800

I just got one of these too, I'm typing on it now. Build quality seems fine here. I love the keys on this thing. This is the board that converted me to browns. Cant say I care for the trackball though.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline DMuk

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 October 2008, 15:35:12 »
Quote from: Chloe;10021
When I got my G84-4100 I felt disappointed with the build quality. The top and bottom half of the casing don't line up to produce a flat edge on any of the sides. I recently got a Compaq MX 11800 with the same problem. The keys are fine on both though.

And I thought I had it bad! Ah well, the switches are why I bought it anyway. So what if it looks like a £1.50 keyboard?!

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 October 2008, 17:25:35 »
I only really notice it when I move the keyboard around, but I'm so fussy about these things. I really hope the Filco are flawless.

Quote from: wellington1869;10027
I just got one of these too, I'm typing on it now. Build quality seems fine here. I love the keys on this thing. This is the board that converted me to browns. Cant say I care for the trackball though.

I'm almost converted, the G84-4100 layout has spoiled me. I love the feel of the brown MX though, they're exactly what I was hoping for. I wish I could swap the switches.

I can't get the trackball to work, but it sounds like I'm not missing much.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 October 2008, 17:41:38 »
^^^ My G84-4100 has that too.

Speaking of G80 build quality I remember that I was surprised that the case plastic had some mild anomalies, haven't seen that before on another 'board:

Those small 'fogs' directly above the F-key separators. Nothing serious but not necessary nonetheless. The other fogs are finger prints.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 10 November 2008, 10:02:04 »
I solved the case problem on the Compaq by loosening the screws a little. It's not perfect but it's alot better than it was. I tried this on the G84-4100 and it didn't help, the top half on mine is slightly wider than the bottom half.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 10 November 2008, 10:17:50 »
My HHKB has it too, btw.

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 11 November 2008, 09:42:22 »
Quote from: Chloe;10628
I solved the case problem on the Compaq by loosening the screws a little. It's not perfect but it's alot better than it was. I tried this on the G84-4100 and it didn't help, the top half on mine is slightly wider than the bottom half.

http://www.notestation.com/kb-modmac-umodularmackeyboard.htm

You might like this keyboard if you've got used to g84-4100 but still enjoy the g84-4100 layout, it's very similar but more taller due to the way cherry browns are designed
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 11 November 2008, 11:20:33 »
Thanks Eclairz, I hadn't considered that before. It looks like they'll be making a PC version. I hope they'll make one with UK layout.

It would be nice to see some pictures. I only found larger renderings on DSI-Taiwan:
http://www.dsi-taiwan.com/dsi/product_info.php?products_id=25

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 11 November 2008, 11:25:56 »
Quote from: lowpoly;10630
My HHKB has it too, btw.

Wow, I'm really suprised at this given the price. It's probably less of a design concern because they're meant to sit on a desk all day.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 March 2009, 10:59:25 »
Sorry to bump this thread, but just today I received one of these for myself, with the blue switches and British layout.  Since this is my first mechanical keyboard, these will be rather subjective observations.  

First of all, the switches are far easier to type on than on my recent Cherry rubber-dome switched keyboard.  They feel a lot lighter and don't seem to "drag" if you hit them off-centre.  The only exceptions to this are the backspace and enter keys, which feel notably stiffer.  This is somewhat annoying but not a big deal.  

I was also expecting a lot of noise from the keys.  They are noisy but not nearly as irritating as I feared they would be.  The tactile sensation is nice but not really very strong.  There is a very mild metallic ring if I really mash the keys but it's hardly noticeable.

The key-caps themselves are made of much thicker plastic than the Cherry with rubber-dome switches.  I pried one off and couldn't flex it between my finger and thumb without using a stupid amount of force.  The other thing is that the legends on these caps don't appear to be made of moulded plastic or laser etching.  They seem to be made of thick white paint that is clearly raised from the plastic surface.  If you imagine the lume on a watch-face, it is a bit like that.  I don't know if this paint will wear off quickly, but I hope not.  

There are no obvious fit-and-finish problems that I can see from casual observations.  The switches are PCB mounted and the device is made in the Czech Republic.

Overall, I like mechanical switches a lot better than others, and this keyboard is not so loud that I would avoid using it, although I would prefer a quieter version.  I can imagine that at night this thing would become annoying.  There isn't much more to say, other than I can type much more rapidly with this keyboard, although it will take some practice to avoid bottoming out the keys.  Another nice thing I noticed is that you feel a bump on the way up as well as down.

I have seven business days to return this if I want, and invest extra money on importing one of those snazzy boards from the Far-East.  We'll see if I like it too much to part with it in a few days :P .

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 10 March 2009, 11:06:06 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;24035
The other thing is that the legends on these caps don't appear to be made of moulded plastic or laser etching.  They seem to be made of thick white paint that is clearly raised from the plastic surface.  If you imagine the lume on a watch-face, it is a bit like that.  I don't know if this paint will wear off quickly, but I hope not.

If the part number is G80-3000L the keycaps are lasered. The legends on my G84-4700 also feel like raised paint.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 10 March 2009, 11:06:41 »
I ordered one of these as well, but I haven't received it yet.  I can't wait to have the clicky switches.  At work, I have to use a tacticle/non-clicky keyboard, but, at home, I prefer a good click. :)
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 March 2009, 11:34:52 »
After typing on it for a little while i've come to realise that the click generated by the switch itself is nothing compared to the sound of the key-cap hitting the PCB.  I suppose if you used any kind of Cherry switch it would make a negligible difference unless that switch was heavier and harder to press.  Key-caps need buffering of some sort so they don't hit the PCB loudly and make that "clop-clop" sound.

EDIT: Just as an aside, it can manage up to 5-key rollover when hitting ASDFG.  4 for more usual combinations.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 March 2009, 19:36:10 »
I got my G80-3000 today!  I ordered it from a site called ScanSmart.  It arrived in short order.

Here are my initial thoughts:
1.) My version has the Chinese characters on it.  That kind of annoys me, but I was already thinking of replacing the all the letter and main number keys with blank keys for a half stealth look.
2.) There are no raised bumps on the F or J keys to help me find my home position.  That could really mess me up in the future, but since I may replace the keys anyway, that may not matter.  So far, I seem to be getting used to finding my place without the bumps (and not looking).  That kind of amazes me.
3.) The size of the keyboard, overall, is smaller than I thought it would be.  For some reason, the pictures seemed to make the casing seem bigger.
4.) The key cap sizes are the smallest I've ever used, but it only took about five seconds to get used to that.  The spacing seems the same, but the smaller key caps just make more space between the keys.
5.) The keyboard looks great, overall.
6.) I love the feel of the blue cherry keys and the click.  So far, it's my favorite keyboard I own to type on.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 14:12:01 »
I noticed something odd just now.  The F and J keys on my keyboard sound different to the others.  I usually bottom out when hitting all the keys due to having used rubber-dome models all my life.  Most the time there's a distinct loud "clop" sound when the cap hits the switch underneath.  However, the F and J keys seem to be damped somehow.  I can hit them harder than the other keys and not get that loud sound out of them.  They click and are tactile but seem more solid and less prone to rattle than some of the other keys.  

Either way I don't think it's my imagination.  Anyone else noticed this?

EDIT:Lifted off the caps, they're all blue switches, they just happen to sound different :|

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 14:19:23 »
Just out of curiousity, is there a G80-3000 variant with brown switches?

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 14:22:01 »
There are but as far as I know, only in German and US layout.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 14:25:59 »
The US layout would be perfect. :P  Would you happen to know the cryptic letter combo after the "g80-3000" that would signify this model?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 14:41:09 »
I found this:

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/28864/subcatid/0/id/394763

The write up says this part number: G80-3000LXVEU-2, but the label in the pic shows this: G80-3000LXCEU-2.  It might just be a typo in the write up.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 14:45:08 »
The only one I know of (which must have been sold just last week from this particular site because I checked) would be similar to this one, and have a similar code although i'm not familiar with the numbering system they've used here.  I always thought that brown-switches were denoted by the letter "Q" in the code; "P" for black linear and "S" for clicky blues.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 14:48:45 »
There is this: http://www.datacal.com/cherry-g80-3000-kybd.htm, but it's pretty expensive.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 14:52:14 »
I also sent an e-mail to DataCal to see about switches and price for this guy: http://www.docustom.com/kb-catalog/cherry/cherry-g80-1800.htm

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 15:17:02 »
I just got off the phone with DataCal, and they said that any of the G80-XXXXs with brown switches is a custom job, and they are the only vendor still carrying/ordering them.  According to DataCal, Cherry does not have a standard production model due to manufacturing these with brown switches is particularly expensive (w/o getting into too much of a debate, I would imagine this is due to demand and not due to brown switches being any harder to implement than the others).  The only version with brown switches still in production is the G80-3000 from DataCal.  Props to DataCal for answering quickly and with the personal touch of a phone call and a thorough explanation.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 15:18:35 »
I sent a message to DataCal to see if I can find out how much blank keys would be to replace some of the keys on the G80-3000.  I'll also be trying to buy some light gray keys from them for when I get a Filco w/ brown cherries.  I'll let you guys know how much they tell me it will be.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 15:20:36 »
Here is the follow-up e-mail from the phone call.  These guys seem to be a pretty good company to order from.

Hello [ItlnStln],

The only board I have in stock is the G80-3000 with brown switches.

Any Cherry boards made with this switch is custom made and no one wants to order so many and keep inventory.

I do have some of the above mentioned in stock.

If you want to purchase any please let me know.

The cost for a school is $99.00.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Loree L. Rolnick
Sales Director
DataCal Enterprises
1345 N. Mondel Dr
Gilbert, AZ 85233
480-813-3108 Phone
480-813-3280 Fax

lrolnick@datacal.com
http://www.datacal.com
Microsoft Messenger Address: lori_dce@hotmail.com

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 15:34:39 »
I sent an e-mail back to the representative from DataCal.  I hope they, and other retailers/distributors, take interest in the forum, and do some market research. :)

Hi, Loree,

Thanks for your quick response to my inquiry.  I am, personally, weighing a few options for a new keyboard, and I enjoy using the brown switches in an old Compaq 'board I have.  I will probably end up making a decision in the next couple of weeks, and I found the page for the G80-3000 product on the website.  I also posted a link to the page on a keyboard enthusiast forum, GeekHack.com.  I am sure other members would be interested in this keyboard as well, and I was sure to mention your quick and courteous customer service. :)  Thanks a lot for all your help!!!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 15:50:40 »
More information. Good news if you are a student... I hope... see my previous post with first e-mail concerning the discount.  My e-mail address is xxxx@alumni.utexas.net, so she might have thought I am rep for UT, and, thus, offered a school discount.

If any of them contact me I will give the same discount.