Author Topic: Mouse location relative to keyboard  (Read 3454 times)

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
Mouse location relative to keyboard
« on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 02:24:08 »
So, where do you keep your mouse? Just normal old to the right of and in line with the keyboard? To the left? In front of? Something more eccentric and interesting?

With my edox I keep a cst trackball in the middle of the two halves, a vertical mouse (with a normal mouse off to the back for switchin it up) to the right, and a thumb trackball (slanted sideways so I can rest my arm across the table and use it) to the left and a bit in front. I mostly just use keyboard binds though, with a tiling wm and vimperator I don't touch the mouse much.

For someone who doesn't use the mouse often I have a lot of mice.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Mouse location relative to keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 02:47:05 »
Where the mouse goes, to the right, and that's why TKL is the way to go. Maximize your mouse space and look good doing it bro.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 02:49:07 »
Mouse on the right, Logitech TrackMan Marble on the left. The keyboard is sometimes on a Rollermouse Pro.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 03:20:54 »
if the arrow keys on left so mouse on the right and vice versa :thumb:
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 03:56:50 »
Pretty standard setup; trackball on the left side, mouse on the right side.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 04:08:15 »
I center the letter keys in front of me. Everything to the right of thr keyboard is mouse-space.  This is why I like "compact" keyboards.  Full sized keyboards cut into too much of the area I use for the mouse.  At work,  the numpad is important and I do not use my mouse intensively,  so i use a fullsize keyboard.  At home,  I much prefer a tenkeyless.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 04:09:50 »
Pretty standard setup; trackball on the left side, mouse on the right side.
I like too ambidextrous setup

Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 04:56:55 »
Where the mouse goes, to the right, and that's why TKL is the way to go. Maximize your mouse space and look good doing it bro.
Same here.

An old clan-mate of mine played with the mouse in front of the keyboard, I found that pretty weird but he was a better aimer than me. :D

Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 11:46:41 »
I USUALLY JUST PUT THE MOUSE TO THE RIGHT OF THE KEYBOARD IN MOST CASES. IF I DON'T HAVE ANY SPACE THERE, THEN I'LL EITHER PLACE IT ON THE COMPUTER BOX OR IN FRONT OF THE KEYBOARD.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:40:38 »
After using right mouse for years, I changed over to left mouse and liked it better.

Then I found the Wow Joy Pen mouse and fell in love with it, but it only comes right-hand, so I have an original Microsoft optical wheel mouse on the left.

Having options on both sides is very handy, and I usually use the left mouse when working with numbers on the numpad.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 00:27:10 »
After using right mouse for years, I changed over to left mouse and liked it better.

Then I found the Wow Joy Pen mouse and fell in love with it, but it only comes right-hand, so I have an original Microsoft optical wheel mouse on the left.

Having options on both sides is very handy, and I usually use the left mouse when working with numbers on the numpad.
Multiple mice is certainly handy for me too. The way my setup is anywhere my hand naturally wants to rest (aside from the location of the keyboard) has a mouse.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 01:08:57 »
Alpha cluster center to the main screen, mouse right next to the keyboard...
Only works properly with 60% boards (and TKLs to some extend), full-size boards get shifted to the left.

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 02:01:48 »
my mouse lives right of my keyboard, but i don't use it much. after many years of searching i've finally all but completely obviated the need for a mouse. for getting around the OS, i use a windows manager called slate thats completely keyboard driven, combined with PCKeyboardHack and KeyRemap4Macbook to add some additional hotkeys. i also use alfred for launching apps. the final piece of the puzzle was websurfing. i use chrome and a plugin called vimium, which lets you navigate around a page completely via keyboards.

ITS AMAZING
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 02:07:35 »
At work - the mouse is on the right of the TKL keyboard, and slightly closer to the edge of the desk than the keyboard is.

At home - I have a Model M and not much space for the mouse so it tends to get pushed around to wherever it will fit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 14:39:49 »
Off on the right, generally 6-8 inches away. Doesn't matter if I'm using a TKL or a 60%.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 14:52:39 »
I keep my mouse right up next to the right side of my keyboard.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 18:25:51 »
Mouse in pooper! Keyboard on head!

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 01:25:18 »
Mouse in pooper! Keyboard on head!

/r/ image!

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 07:13:59 »
Omg. Just because of the desk I am using I am having to extend my right arm above the keyboard tray.  About a mouse or two lengths above the left sidee of the number pad.
SmallFry! <3