Author Topic: 42H2192 vs 1391401  (Read 1803 times)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
42H2192 vs 1391401
« on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 16:42:23 »
I know there is information out there about the differences, but I just want to know the opinion you all might have on these two different Model Ms. I value all your opinions! Just want to make sure that I am not spending too much on a board when I could get a similar board for cheaper. 42H is found cheaper on ebay.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline bazemk1979

Re: 42H2192 vs 1391401
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 16:49:08 »
stop beating around the bush and buy anyone, either is good and look on the bright side any modding with Model M don't involve soldering, so you wont flop like with the Poker lol
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 August 2013, 16:53:13 by bazemk1979 »
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 16:50:44 »
stop beating around the bush and buy anyone, either is good and look on the bright side any modding with Model M don't involve soldering, so you flop like with the Poker lol

True true. I might do just that seeing that I would be saving a ton of money
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 17:06:14 »
stop beating around the bush and buy anyone, either is good and look on the bright side any modding with Model M don't involve soldering, so you flop like with the Poker lol

Look I got bunch of Model M's, I mean bunch..... From square logos with and without LED's for functions, ovals from IBM-Lexmark-Unicomp and here is what I noticed:

- Quality as in longevity its same, same patent/internals AKA same quality longevity wise.
- Changes they were but wont affect the quality of the board when speaking of having longevity, here they are:

1. decreased quality of the outer plastic, somewhat lighter ( different plastic perhaps), final finish on plastic not as satisfactory as the Model M's with the IBM sticker on the back, but bare in mind huge percentage of the ones made with the IBM sticker back in the days were not all made by IBM factory only, for example Lexmark was also subbing for IBM without the made by Lexmark logo on the rear sticker, but were other subcontractor companies also that were doing the same thing as Lexmark AKA producing Model M's. Difference is, IBM had quality control and things were a bit neat picked better.

But in no means Lexmark branded or Unicomp branded plastic although not looking as good as the IBM made ones are fragile or breakable, simple test would be taking Unicomp board and trow it at your neighbor for keyboard science.

- the thickness of the metal plate has thinned too, but does not equal to lower quality, its still steel!!!!!
- Barrel plastic plate has actually increased with the later models, for example when comparing the square logo vs oval logo or even todays Unicomp made ones, the newer breed of the barrel plate had ridges sticking out trough the barrel plate which it reinforce and make the barrel plate more durable due to the fact needing to bend in oval like angle.

So there, you make your own conclusion and if u have more questions, shoot...

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 17:15:15 »

Look I got bunch of Model M's, I mean bunch..... From square logos with and without LED's for functions, ovals from IBM-Lexmark-Unicomp and here is what I noticed:

- Quality as in longevity its same, same patent/internals AKA same quality longevity wise.
- Changes they were but wont affect the quality of the board when speaking of having longevity, here they are:

1. decreased quality of the outer plastic, somewhat lighter ( different plastic perhaps), final finish on plastic not as satisfactory as the Model M's with the IBM sticker on the back, but bare in mind huge percentage of the ones made with the IBM sticker back in the days were not all made by IBM factory only, for example Lexmark was also subbing for IBM without the made by Lexmark logo on the rear sticker, but were other subcontractor companies also that were doing the same thing as Lexmark AKA producing Model M's. Difference is, IBM had quality control and things were a bit neat picked better.

But in no means Lexmark branded or Unicomp branded plastic although not looking as good as the IBM made ones are fragile or breakable, simple test would be taking Unicomp board and trow it at your neighbor for keyboard science.

- the thickness of the metal plate has thinned too, but does not equal to lower quality, its still steel!!!!!
- Barrel plastic plate has actually increased with the later models, for example when comparing the square logo vs oval logo or even todays Unicomp made ones, the newer breed of the barrel plate had ridges sticking out trough the barrel plate which it reinforce and make the barrel plate more durable due to the fact needing to bend in oval like angle.

So there, you make your own conclusion and if u have more questions, shoot...

I love you

Thanks! Exactly what I needed

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 18:25:17 »
Personally, I would opt for the 1391401 just for resale value alone, if the difference was $10 or less.

My favorites are the 1390131s because they have all the good stuff from the early days, plus the metal badge instead of the embossed plastic logo is far cooler.

That said, I have a couple of black label 1391401s from 1991 that I am particularly fond of.

But if the price difference is more than 10%-20%, it may not be worth it.

Buy anything to get started, after you become a user you can become a collector later.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 18:36:00 »
Personally, I would opt for the 1391401 just for resale value alone, if the difference was $10 or less.

My favorites are the 1390131s because they have all the good stuff from the early days, plus the metal badge instead of the embossed plastic logo is far cooler.

That said, I have a couple of black label 1391401s from 1991 that I am particularly fond of.

But if the price difference is more than 10%-20%, it may not be worth it.

Buy anything to get started, after you become a user you can become a collector later.

I like that last tip. I might as well get the 42H from ebay for around 30 with shipping, instead of paying 50 with shipping. That is a pretty big price difference for me. Especially, when I saw someone selling one for $80 on here.

I am guessing the 42H would still be a better buy than getting a Unicomp board.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 18:38:24 »
cheaper than Uni yes, better nope lol better choice in your eyes because its cheaper - probably  :p

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 18:42:31 »
The 42H will be very comparable to the Unicomp.

At that point, there are numerous advantages to the Unicomp: virgin, warranty! choice of footprints, native USB, black color, etc.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 18:47:32 »
The 42H will be very comparable to the Unicomp.

At that point, there are numerous advantages to the Unicomp: virgin, warranty! choice of footprints, native USB, black color, etc.

I might as well just get the 42H then, cause I want to get the Adesso PS/2 to USB adapter to play with this AT101 and RT101 that I found.

cheaper than Uni yes, better nope lol better choice in your eyes because its cheaper - probably  :p

the cheaper part might be the biggest for me XD