Author Topic: remote/mini-keyboard for media center  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
remote/mini-keyboard for media center
« on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 04:48:44 »
I'm looking for a remote or mini-keyboard for my (linux) HTPC. I'm currently using a Dinovo Mini which is the worst keyboard a human being has ever designed.

Any suggestion? I'd prefer to avoid bluetooth if possible.

thanks!

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
Re: remote/mini-keyboard for media center
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 04:59:30 »
I  use a smartphone. It works surprisingly well. Air mouse is one that comes to mind.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline divito

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:44:38 »
I use - http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_273_580&item_id=038916

At first, I was just looking for something fairly cheap, but I was surprised how comfortable and versatile this keyboard was. All standard functions on a small setup, side media keys (didn't test their compatibility with Linux though), browser keys along the top. Left and right click on front and top ends of keyboard as well.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:07:56 »
that looks pretty neat, thanks!

Offline SidusNare

• Do, or do not; there is no try.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:25:21 »
I have fought with what to do for my TV computer for a long time, I use mine as a video player primarily, do some web browsing, and occasionally I have to do some quick coding / hacking on it.

I tried just having USB cables to a 60% and a laser mouse, logitech's proprietary wireless offerings, and other brands of blue-tooth brands before. Anything wireless just wouldn't do well, signal drop and jittery at the range of my sofa.

I know you said you wanted to avoid blue-tooth, but I finally settled on the Apple 60% keyboard and track pad, despite really not liking track-pads. It isn't as bad as most, and the blue-tooth is rock solid, great signal latency and range, I can even game with it some.  Also, the Linux kernel and xorg drivers support the silly gestured the track-pad can recognize.
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. -- H. Poincare

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 13:12:17 »
If you find one that isn't a cheap piece of junk let me know. I've tried a couple of them and hated them. Right now I'm using a cheap windows media center remote for controlling xmbc. I picked up a tg3 blt82 keyboard/trackpad very cheaply on ebay that works pretty well with a usb extension cable and I sometimes use my phone.

Offline divito

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 06:34:58 »
If you find one that isn't a cheap piece of junk let me know. I've tried a couple of them and hated them. Right now I'm using a cheap windows media center remote for controlling xmbc. I picked up a tg3 blt82 keyboard/trackpad very cheaply on ebay that works pretty well with a usb extension cable and I sometimes use my phone.

Refer to my above post if you might be able to buy one to try for a bit.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 12:41:30 »
Refer to my above post if you might be able to buy one to try for a bit.

Thanks. I may give that one a try. Now that I'm getting used to having a wired keyboard it's not too bad. I'm really liking this tg3 cop car keyboard for my media center. I don't think I'd want to use it as a normal keyboard at my desk, but for this purpose it's ideal.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 00:41:16 »
Lenovo N5901 / N5902

Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 03:00:57 »
wow that Lenovo is pretty nice

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 03:45:26 »
It's not all that great, but I doubt there's anything nicer. I gave one to my dad... it was OK as a HTPC remote control until few keys stopped working. The trackball wasn't smooth at all, and there was no middle click button or wheel either. Kinda mixed feelings.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 13:22:21 »
I have a lenovo like that one, but I think it may be a prior version. I didn't like it at all. The keys weren't that great to use and moving it at all made the trackball register movement. I'm happier now with a generic mce remote for handling playback in xbmc and a real compact keyboard when I need to type something.