Author Topic: Hey everyone I need help deciding!  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Funnionz

Hey everyone I need help deciding!
« on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 01:01:10 »
Hey everyone! I'm new to this site but I won't bore you with details since this isn't the introduction section:P

I've decided that it's time to upgrade my keyboard to something a little bit more..mechanical:) I live in Australia, Perth to be exact, so the choice of keyboards actually sold by retailers here is inexcusably poor :'(
I know i can just order any keyboard I want, but shipping costs are a pain and waiting even more so, so I'm first trying all my options that I can actually go and buy from a store.

The only mech keyboards that really stand out to me that are sold here are the CM QuickFire Pro and the CM QuickFire TK. I've heard differing opinions on the two (on which is better) but I wanted to hear some  personal feedback from people that have owned/used both keyboards. I'm not sure which switch type to get either. I know about each type and it's characteristics but I've heard that every keyboard has a different feel even with the same switches, so again I'd like some personal opinions.

Another point to mention is that I could get a special white body version of the QFTK if I wanted that is apparently not that common.

http://www.austin.net.au/input-devices/gaming-keyboard-mechanical/coolermaster-quickfire-tk-white-mechanical-ga.html

If anyone does have this board I'd like to hear what they think about it:)

Thanks again!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hey everyone I need help deciding!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 01:08:36 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Not the first sandgroper we have here ;)

Options on the western side seem to be even more limited than over here in the east.  If you don't mind shipping from Melbourne, PCCG have a slightly larger range.

Also depends if you want full-sized or tenkeyless (without the numeric keypad).

TCW has CM QFR: http://thecomputerwarehouse.com.au/components/keyboards/coolermaster-3/coolermaster-quickfire-rapid-cherry-red-mechanical-keyboard

QFR is generally one of the most recommended keyboards here.

PCCG has lots of Ducky: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=113_1361

Ducky probably the second most recommended, and the most recommended if you want backlighting.

PCCG usually ships out fairly quickly - I've bought two Duckies from there (and a few other things too).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline whileycoyote

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 01:41:03 »
Ive personally tried a noppoo, a CM quickfire, and a DAS. And to be honest I like the full size das the best. I personally am a sucker for the full size though, and I just prefer a sturdier keyboard. But in terms of the switches REDS are nice, but I prefer browns. So long story short, its all personal preference. At the end of the day choosing a keyboard you think looks nice isnt a bad bet since your the one whos gonna be staring at it on your desk forever.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 01:46:34 »
My first few were full-sized, then I got a TKL QFR and loved it.

The next one was TKL KeyCool.

Then HHKB.

Then two Model Ms!

I'd get an SSK if I could, but they are not common in the US, and as rare as kangaroo eggs over here.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Funnionz

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:30:35 »
Thanks for all the help and info guys:)

I think you've convinced me to order from the east for a board I really want rather than settle for what's available here:P

I think I'll be choosing between a CM QF and a Ducky considering I can't seem to find a Filco with a camo design within Australia to buy.

Sorry for another stupid question:( But is the CM QF TK (acronyms OP) basically the same as the QFR only it has full backlighting and has tenkeys? Or is there more to it than that? I'm asking because it seems that if I want back-lighting it'll either be the QFTK or the Ducky.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline Funnionz

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:47:11 »
Well..

I stand undeniably corrected XD  Thanks!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:51:03 »
You'll pay a bit more for a Filco, and a bit more again for a camo one, but they do look really nice.

And with retro DSA keycaps - perfection!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:56:11 »
Wrote a review on the TK here. I haven't tried the Pro though so I can't comment on that.

Offline Funnionz

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:07:38 »
Thanks for the review on the TK it really helped:)

Just in your own personal opinion, which do you prefer between the Filco MJ2 Camo, the Ducky Shine 2 DK9008 and the CM QuickFire TK? I realise two are backlit and one isn't but what are your thoughts on the three when compared?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:10:43 »
I'm a Filco fanboy and will always recommend that over anything else lol. I honestly feel that the Filco MJ2 is the best stock/off-the-shelf board.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:45:29 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Funnionz

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:44:28 »
I'll definitely take that into consideration, Filco's have got a really good rep from what I've seen. I guess it just comes down to whether I really want backlighting or not:P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 16:52:03 »
FIlcos are great - you can't really go wrong there, but do pay a premium for it.

The Ducky Shine 2 is EOL - the Shine 3 is already out in some places.

Offline turtle

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 17:06:33 »
Ask this question to yourself first.

Are you planning to mod your keyboard? ( lubing, stickers, plate, add led etc)

If you are not and want backlight on the keyboard then go with the ducky

If you are planning to mod it and dont care much for backlight then go with the qfr.

IMHO backlight isn't all that great and isn't worth it. I have a ducky and the LEDs are rarely on. I have  a ducky as my first mechanical keyboard and if I had to do it all over again I would pick the qfr or filco.

I would suggest you have a feel of the switches first. My personal favorite stock switches are red or blues. If your planning to mod it in the future try clears with 62g. Hope this helps!

Offline Funnionz

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 11:50:57 »
Thanks for all the feedback guys:)

After (much) contemplation and research my final choice will be between the filco MJ2 Camo TKL and the Ducky Shine 2, both with blue switches. I prefer the DS 2 over the DS 3 purely because of the vulgar (IMO) spacebar on the DS3 =/ Since the only improvements on the DS3 that I know of are a few lighting gimmicks, that spacebar and possibly better stabilizers, getting the DS2 instead doesn't seem like too much of a sacrifice. I guess I'll sleep on it :P

In the future I might just end up with both =.= damn keyboards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 23:17:24 »
Thanks for all the feedback guys:)

After (much) contemplation and research my final choice will be between the filco MJ2 Camo TKL and the Ducky Shine 2, both with blue switches. I prefer the DS 2 over the DS 3 purely because of the vulgar (IMO) spacebar on the DS3 =/ Since the only improvements on the DS3 that I know of are a few lighting gimmicks, that spacebar and possibly better stabilizers, getting the DS2 instead doesn't seem like too much of a sacrifice. I guess I'll sleep on it :P

In the future I might just end up with both =.= damn keyboards.

You can always replace the space bar :)

And can you even get a Shine 2 any more?

Offline Funnionz

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:10:14 »
Apparently TCW still sells them, but it doesn't really matter since after all that I've decided to wait it out for a Ducky Shine 3 :P I'll probably get a QFR or Filco later on, and I know I'd kick myself later for not getting the newer version of the Ducky:) Do you know if any special versions like the YOTS are going to be available from Australian retailers? Or would you have to buy it from overseas?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 03:23:49 »
Apparently TCW still sells them, but it doesn't really matter since after all that I've decided to wait it out for a Ducky Shine 3 :P I'll probably get a QFR or Filco later on, and I know I'd kick myself later for not getting the newer version of the Ducky:) Do you know if any special versions like the YOTS are going to be available from Australian retailers? Or would you have to buy it from overseas?

No idea.  I don't think any YotD were available in Australia, but a couple of GH vendors made them available from China, I think, at a reasonable price.

I would hope the same for the YotS.