Author Topic: ibm netfinity "semi clicky" keyboard  (Read 2839 times)

Offline wellington1869

ibm netfinity "semi clicky" keyboard
« on: Mon, 10 November 2008, 19:47:12 »
Has anyone had any experience with this keyboard?

Its described as "semi clicky", has membrane keys (as seen in the pics below) but nevertheless "clicks". How does that work in terms of the switch mechanism?
And how does it feel?

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-USB-Keyboard-Semi-Clicky-Style_W0QQitemZ220307797828QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item220307797828

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 November 2008, 21:28:17 »
same mechanism as the HHKB Lite has

Offline GZAkeys

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 November 2008, 23:14:25 »
I have the 104 key version of that keyboard.

Build quality is good. Key feel is also good for a membrane keyboard.

Regarding the 'clicks'. I pried off a keycap and pressed directly on the membrane. The membrane itself provides no click. It is the interaction of the keycap with the chamber it fits into that causes the click.

There is a less pronounced click type sound on way down. The downward click is affected by how hard the key is pressed as well as the speed with which the key is struck.

There is a louder more pronounced click ( or clack ) on key return.

Feel free to ask some clarifying questions.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 November 2008, 00:59:54 »
Quote from: GZAkeys;10695
I have the 104 key version of that keyboard.

Build quality is good. Key feel is also good for a membrane keyboard.

Regarding the 'clicks'. I pried off a keycap and pressed directly on the membrane. The membrane itself provides no click. It is the interaction of the keycap with the chamber it fits into that causes the click.

There is a less pronounced click type sound on way down. The downward click is affected by how hard the key is pressed as well as the speed with which the key is struck.

There is a louder more pronounced click ( or clack ) on key return.

Feel free to ask some clarifying questions.

Thanks GZAkeys!
So do you think its worth it for a mechanical switch lover to try out this "clicky" membrane? Or is it just a novelty and cant really compare with cherries and alps? (The topre after all is semi-membrane and it still gets rave reviews on this forum).
Any chance you could upload a sound clip to the audio clips section? ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline GZAkeys

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 November 2008, 20:46:47 »
I wouldn't call the membrane clicky. It's really the keycaps having somewhat of a loose fit that causes the ghost-clickiness of the keyboard. There is quite a bit of wobble in the keycaps.

In regards to whether or not you should go out of your way to own one. I would have to say no to that. Looking at your current list of what you currently own and have owned, it would likely feel like just another membrane keyboard.

I'll see if I can get an audio clip sometime in the next day or so. The only microphone I have on me is the one attached to my Steelseries 5H v2 headset :P

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 November 2008, 21:14:53 »
In regards to whether or not you should go out of your way to own one. I would have to say no to that

well then dont worry about the sound clip :D  Thanks for the deets!

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 February 2009, 20:30:01 »
Do you guys know if the NMB RT-2900W has the same type of membranes as the HHKB Lite and Netfinity?

NMB's website describes the keys as being mechanical, in some degree...here.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 February 2009, 04:45:29 »