Author Topic: Steelseries Key Act As Windows Key.  (Read 9580 times)

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
Steelseries Key Act As Windows Key.
« on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 23:14:08 »
Hey guys, i'm trying to figure out if it's possible for the Steelseries key on the 7G to act like a Windows key?

I'm not really using the audio shortcuts i'd rather have a normal windows key. There's no switches under the board just like on the Poker II to change functions of certain keys :/

Thanks.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
Re: Steelseries Key Act As Windows Key.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 23:19:01 »
I think you can achieve it using some software modification.
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 03:11:52 »
I think you can achieve it using some software modification.

How do i software modification?

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 03:45:44 »
If this is like a Fn key on other keyboards (e.g. Ducky, KeyCool), you might be out of luck.

On both those boards that I have the Fn key affects the keys at a keyboard level - I don't think any separate scan code is sent to the PC when Fn is pressed.  So there is nothing you can do on the computer to affect the operation of the Fn key.

IF the Steelseries key is analagous to a Fn key.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 07:49:22 »
:/ That's the biggest downside to this keyboard. They should have put their key on the right side instead cuz no one uses the right Win key asaik.

Also 1x backspace isn't optimal.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 19:04:47 »
:/ That's the biggest downside to this keyboard. They should have put their key on the right side instead cuz no one uses the right Win key asaik.

Also 1x backspace isn't optimal.

Most keyboards replace the right (and only) menu key with the Fn key, and I actually use that.

The KeyCool actually replaces the right Win key with Fn, leaving the menu key intact.

Win! :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 19:12:52 »
The idea is to stop you pressing the windows key mid game and minimising your game and this resulting in your death. It doesn't actually operate as a button so its possible that the switch isnt even soldered to the rest of the board as it has no operational capabilities.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 19:39:13 »
The idea is to stop you pressing the windows key mid game and minimising your game and this resulting in your death. It doesn't actually operate as a button so its possible that the switch isnt even soldered to the rest of the board as it has no operational capabilities.

Many keyboards include a facility to disable the Win key.  On this KeyCool it is Fn-F12 - no more Win worries :)

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 19:52:35 »
The advantage to a left-side function key is that it makes it faster and easier to access the media keys 1-handed, in particular when your right hand is on the mouse and you're trying to keep your left hand as close to WASD as possible. Useful for a "gaming keyboard."
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 20:20:17 »
The advantage to a left-side function key is that it makes it faster and easier to access the media keys 1-handed, in particular when your right hand is on the mouse and you're trying to keep your left hand as close to WASD as possible. Useful for a "gaming keyboard."

Unless the media keys are on the right, as is the case with the KeyCool (F5 to F11).

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 03:41:16 »

Bzzt.

I've actually talked to the folks who designed the layout. That's not why the Fn key is at LWin position. Nope. Not even remotely. (Both SteelSeries and Thermaltake use this layout, FYI. And yes, I talked to folks in the know at both.)

The reason the Fn key is located at LWin is because that's below WASD, and the most frequent 'accidental Windows key hit' location. Normally when gaming, you have your left hand on the keyboard and right hand on the mouse. That means you have pretty much no chance of accidentally hitting RWin/RGUI, but if you slip on Shift or Ctrl (both frequently used keys) you're likely to hit LWin. The media key layout was more along the lines of happy accident (default locations on Thermaltake/CST-104 Sydney.)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 10:15:31 »

Bzzt.

I've actually talked to the folks who designed the layout. That's not why the Fn key is at LWin position. Nope. Not even remotely. (Both SteelSeries and Thermaltake use this layout, FYI. And yes, I talked to folks in the know at both.)

The reason the Fn key is located at LWin is because that's below WASD, and the most frequent 'accidental Windows key hit' location. Normally when gaming, you have your left hand on the keyboard and right hand on the mouse. That means you have pretty much no chance of accidentally hitting RWin/RGUI, but if you slip on Shift or Ctrl (both frequently used keys) you're likely to hit LWin. The media key layout was more along the lines of happy accident (default locations on Thermaltake/CST-104 Sydney.)

*shrug* I don't really care what the designers were thinking about; it's still a nice attribute of the layout. Problems with a left-side Windows key can be solved with a Win Lock function, as seen on many keyboards. Sensible media key layouts for gaming, though, are surprisingly rare. I wouldn't say this quite achieves it, but at least it's closer.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 10:49:40 »

Bzzt.

*shrug* I don't really care what the designers were thinking about; it's still a nice attribute of the layout. Problems with a left-side Windows key can be solved with a Win Lock function, as seen on many keyboards. Sensible media key layouts for gaming, though, are surprisingly rare. I wouldn't say this quite achieves it, but at least it's closer.

If i had to choose nowaday i would defenetly pick up the left Win key with a lock function.

And media control functions... LOL media control functions! ****ing worthless

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX