Author Topic: Looking for a mechanical keyboard with a Mac layout, with no number pad  (Read 8461 times)

Offline dublinus

I've been looking around for a while for a mechanical keyboard. I have found some that *almost* meet my criteria, but fall short one way or another.

What I'd like in a keyboard is this:

- No number pad
- Mac layout
- Cherry MX Brown switches
- Preferably backlit
- Preferably wireless

After doing quite a bit of digging around, I found that the limiting factor is the Mac layout. Very few companies offer that option. Razer is one such company, but the keyboards they offer with the Mac layout have a really big number pad, which for me is a huge waste of space.

Does anyone know of a better keyboard?

Thanks!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Looking for a mechanical keyboard with a Mac layout, with no number pad
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 01:59:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Mac layout is over-rated ;)

I have a Mac and use PC layout keyboards just fine (including an IBM Model M, although that lacks the Option key).  You only need to swap Win and Alt to get the Command key back to where it should be.

Not MX brown, but try Matias: http://matias.ca/products/

If you don't mind PC layout, try Ducky Shine TKL.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline justin.wu

• * Commercial Vendor
  • Less is more
    • TEX
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 03:08:07 »
How about this one layout ??

I've been looking around for a while for a mechanical keyboard. I have found some that *almost* meet my criteria, but fall short one way or another.

What I'd like in a keyboard is this:

- No number pad
- Mac layout
- Cherry MX Brown switches
- Preferably backlit
- Preferably wireless

After doing quite a bit of digging around, I found that the limiting factor is the Mac layout. Very few companies offer that option. Razer is one such company, but the keyboards they offer with the Mac layout have a really big number pad, which for me is a huge waste of space.

Does anyone know of a better keyboard?

Thanks!
make different

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 04:59:59 »
I also use PC layout boards with my Macs. You can add KeyRemap4Macbook to get media and other functions.

OTOH, the PC keyboard I'm currently using happens to be a Mini Quiet Pro, which has the media stuff built in. The media keys from the PC version of the MQP are also recognized on the Macs, and even Ubuntu.

If you like MX browns you'd probably be very happy with the Matias quiet switches. They are nicely tactile though a bit heavier than browns.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline dublinus

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:47:46 »
Thanks for the help guys! I'm leaning towards a Matias right now.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:50:30 »
No one has mentioned the WASD v2 TKL? It's got a dip switch on the back to switch between standard and mac layouts.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v2-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

If thats the route you want to go, I recommend getting the barebones version and buying a nice set of keycaps, a combo such as this:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v2-87-key-barebones-mechanical-keyboard.html
and
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/pbt-key-caps/104-105-pbt-black-on-white-key/lid=19240210

WASD's keycaps are not worth $50 a set, they are very thin ABS.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:53:17 by pixel5 »
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 09:57:13 »
DSI modular numpad is a module that is optional that can attach either side.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 10:40:39 »
The mac layout isn't that difficult to match given that you just need to swap a couple of keys and many boards even offer it via a dip switch. The hard part is that you want it wireless and there just aren't that many mechanical keyboards that are wireless.

I'm a big fan of the compact layout, so a Poker 2 would be a nice option. The current models do not have backlighting, but there is support on the board for it. You'd just have to solder (of find someone to do it for you) the LEDs in for you. MechanicalKeyboards.com has one with MX-Brown switches.

They are also a reseller for Matias as well.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:23:27 »
The WASD V2 and Ducky DK9008 and DK90087 all have a DIP switch on the underside which allows you to swap the position of the "Windows" and "Alt" keys, essentially creating a Mac layout.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 17:41:43 »
The HHKB Pro2 is a very Mac-Unix compatible but expensive.

Offline Obakemono

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 17:44:09 »
I'm using a non-mac keyboard with my mac since a couple of days and it's pretty easy to get used to.
I use some key shortcuts and i'm nor missing nothing for now

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 17:45:02 »
But not exactly Mac layout, definitely not MX brown, not backlit, and not wireless, so it fulfills almost none of the OP requirements.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Chrontius

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 22:51:17 »
I've got almost the same wish list as the OP, so I'll share my experience.

TL;DR:  I use a Matias Quiet Pro, full size.  It's glorious.  Alps switches feel good.

My first mechanical was the DSI SMK-88, a compact tenkeyless… in cherry black.  I found the linear keys suboptimal, but it offers the layout you like, the size you like, and that probably ought to count for a lot.

My next carefully considered keyboard was a Matias Tactile Pro Mk.1.  (I also rehabbed a Das Mk.1 but that was a side project)  It was great - I loved the layout, loved the softer feeling of the Alps than Cherries, and loved the system hotkeys.  I found the "optimizer" secondary and tertiary key printing really nice and really useful - did you know that "alt ;" produces an ellipsis?  I didn't either.

The closest to your gold standard is probably the Matias Laptop Pro.  It's a bluetooth mechanical tenkeyless mac keyboard that feels a lot like heavy Browns but is, alas, not backlit - but I asked Matias for something like that, and they said they'd consider it.  If you'd be so good as to email them, along with a couple dozen more mac fans, we'll probably get one.  But I'd get the one on offer now, it's a really nice board.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 22:52:45 »
I have a white matias tactile mini for sale if you're interested.  PM me

Offline dublinus

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 13:59:45 »
Wow, I've gotten some really helpful replies. Thanks everyone!

Kind of torn between some of the options. The Matias and WASD both look pretty good. I'm just very impressed by WASD's customization.

Anyways, thanks for your help!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 21:36:22 »
Let us know which one you eventually get, and what you think of it.

Tip: if you hang around here long enough, you will end up getting both anyway.