Author Topic: Keycool 84 or Leopold FC660M Spacebar and Keycaps  (Read 7922 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Keycool 84 or Leopold FC660M Spacebar and Keycaps
« on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 11:05:50 »
I have been searching for a replacement spacebar for a Leopold FC660M. It is a standard length (6.25 units; 118 mm), but it has non-standard spacing of the mounting stems (one center mount and two mounts 2.25 units (about 43 mm) to the left and right of center.

I have not been able to find a spacebar or keycap set for the Leopold FC660M. However, yesterday I discovered that the spacebar from the Keycool 84 (White or Grey PBT version, non-backlit) fits the Leopold FC660M.

Therefore, now I would like to find replacement spacebars for either the Leopold FC660M or the Keycool 84 (White or Grey PBT non-backlit).

Material: PBT preferred, but ABS or POM okay.

Colors: White (or Off-White) and Black (or Charcoal Grey or Graphite).

The Keycool 84 spacebar has the Keycool logo printed on the spacebar. I would prefer a non-printed spacebar if these are available. Otherwise, I am looking for tips on how to remove the printing.

Thanks.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Keycool 84 or Leopold FC660M Spacebar and Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 11:57:00 »
You can find keycool spacebar on taobao in about a dozen color. Also there are some blank keycool84 sets for pretty cheap too. None have any logo or other printing.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:05:52 »
You can find keycool spacebar on taobao in about a dozen color. Also there are some blank keycool84 sets for pretty cheap too. None have any logo or other printing.
Would you happen to have a link to the relevant page on TaoBao? I have had some trouble navigating the site. Are there any issues ordering directly from TaoBao, or would I need to go through an agent or perhaps have Qtan get the spacebars and other keycaps for me? Thanks.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:13:29 »
Can't view taobao, keeps crashing firefox right now for me for some reason. try search for keycool 键帽 and maybe you will see them. Here is other site with the blank 84 set.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:45:22 »
Can't view taobao, keeps crashing firefox right now for me for some reason. try search for keycool 键帽 and maybe you will see them. Here is other site with the blank 84 set.

Thanks for the link to Banggood and the PBT 87 blank set. It does not give much information, but at the bottom of the page it mentions Keycool, so maybe this set has the spacebar I am looking for. However, the remaining keys are for a TKL rather than the KC84, and so the profiles will probably be wrong for the right-hand column of navigation keys on the KC84.

It surprises me that replacement keycaps (especially spacebars) are so hard to find for the Leopold FC660M and even for the KC84, but I suppose if it were too easy, it wouldn't be as much fun.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:54:19 »
I don't know how much time and what you would have available to do so, but if I were ever to get any Leopold ever again... the first thing I would do would be take it apart and cut the ****ing plate to have normal spacebar mount spacing and never have to worry about the damn spacebar ever again. I have no idea why they even made different stabs mount spacing anyway, just seems really pointless and a nuisance for buyers. They even have 2 different spacing on their own lines. :confused:
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:56:25 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:59:01 »
I don't know how much time and what you would have available to do so, but if I were ever to get any Leopold ever again... the first thing I would do would be take it apart and cut the ****ing plate to have normal spacebar mount spacing and never have to worry about the damn spacebar ever again.
Great idea! However, rather than resorting to major surgery, I would probably go for a different keyboard. I don't know why Leopold clings to their own standard. I think they would sell more keyboards if they changed to a standard stem spacing for their spacebars or at least made replacements available in different colors.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 13:13:34 »
I don't know how much time and what you would have available to do so, but if I were ever to get any Leopold ever again... the first thing I would do would be take it apart and cut the ****ing plate to have normal spacebar mount spacing and never have to worry about the damn spacebar ever again. I have no idea why they even made different stabs mount spacing anyway, just seems really pointless and a nuisance for buyers. They even have 2 different spacing on their own lines. :confused:
Yes, Keycool has made it much easier. Their spacebar has stems for both, KC/Leopold and Filco, etc. If Leopold would do this, the problem would be solved and they would reap the benefits of better customer relations and increased sales.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 19:02:57 »
Scratch what I wrote. Hitting the 10th hour at work has made delusional :blank:
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2013, 19:52:09 by eyesmiles »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 16:39:49 »
Ordered white blank PBT set and black blank POM set for KC84 from the Banggood site. Mostly what I want from these sets are the spacebars for use with the Leopold FC660M, but the prices were quite low, so it might be worth it. This is my first time to order from this site; will see how it goes. Thanks for pointing me to the site. If anyone knows of additional sources for spacebars for the Leopold FC660M, please let me know.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 03:40:11 »
Necro post here...wanted to know how this turned out? :D

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 16:57:00 »
I had some problems with warped spacebars, but I was able to straighten them using a weight and heat from a hairdryer. Although I like some aspects of the KC84, including the fact that it sounds like a real mechanical typewriter, I much prefer to use either my IBM SSK or my current favorite, the HHKB Pro 2.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 17:00:28 »
I had some problems with warped spacebars, but I was able to straighten them using a weight and heat from a hairdryer. Although I like some aspects of the KC84, including the fact that it sounds like a real mechanical typewriter, I much prefer to use either my IBM SSK or my current favorite, the HHKB Pro 2.

That's the easiest way to do that. My kc84 spacebar was also bent and a hairdryer fixed it up really quickly.

Offline futurebird

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 18:29:28 »
I also bought the Leopold FC660M. I'm rather new to all of this, so maybe it isn't the perfect keyboard, for me that's OK. (For now!  ;D)

Is this spacebar being so hard to find really bad? Do space bars need to be replaced often? (should I start hunting taobao? learning to mod  :-X)
My goal is to create a handsome minimal keyboard with blank keys that will help me as I learn to type.) I liked the Leopold FC660M more than HHKB because it seemed easier to customize. Now I'm not so certain!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 18:40:51 »
I also bought the Leopold FC660M. I'm rather new to all of this, so maybe it isn't the perfect keyboard, for me that's OK. (For now!  ;D)

Is this spacebar being so hard to find really bad? Do space bars need to be replaced often? (should I start hunting taobao? learning to mod  :-X)
My goal is to create a handsome minimal keyboard with blank keys that will help me as I learn to type.) I liked the Leopold FC660M more than HHKB because it seemed easier to customize. Now I'm not so certain!

Welcome to Geekhack!

For many PBT sets, the space bar is ABS.  Probably due to PBT space bars warping so much, whereas ABS does not, so manufacturers choose the ABS option to reduce returns.

Not as much of an issue these days - there are more PBT sets coming out with PBT space bars that are not warped.

The space bar is probably one of the first keys to shine on many keyboards.  Except if you are a heavy gamer ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 18:43:15 »
I bought a white PBT spacebar from QTan's store, and a blank set for the KC84 from Taoabo. It is PBT also, and its spacebar fits the FC660M also. I got the black one, but there is also white. Most standard space bars does not fit the FC660M. Also, the right shift is not standard, because it is 2.25u, the same size the standard left shift. Finally the windows key is 1u, instead 1.25u. Those three caps are different than standard ANSI layout. PBT plastic is more resistance to wear, thus it does not get that ugly shine that ABS tends to get quite easy.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 03:42:48 »
Would the space bar from the Granite group buy fit the KC84?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 05:43:12 »
Would the space bar from the Granite group buy fit the KC84?

Apparently KeyCool 84 has standard 6.25x space bar, so yes, Granite one would fit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kohi

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:14:44 »
just wondering, would the spacebar in the KC87 blank pbt keycap set also fit the FC660M?
I'm assuming that the spacebar for the 84 and the 87 version are the same? :confused: