Author Topic: Hello everyone! I'm getting my first mechanical keyboard :)  (Read 1374 times)

Offline danny

Hello everyone! I'm getting my first mechanical keyboard :)
« on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 11:13:40 »
After waiting for over a year for it to become available I finally ordered a WASD v2 this week  ;D
It will be my first mechanical keyboard and I'm really excited for it to arrive!

During the past year I had many looks at this forum and got very valuable information so I decided it would be time to give something in return and get a little bit more active  :)

I already have a first question:
After seeing the keycaps here, I ordered a set of Vortex black-on-black PBT dye subs. They already arrived and look incredible! But I noticed a small bump on every key, probably caused by the production process:

Does someone know if this is normal and if you can remove it?

Anyway: Hi to everyone!
WASD v2 TKL Blue

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: Hello everyone! I'm getting my first mechanical keyboard :)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 11:22:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack! ;D

Those are normal. They're, as you've said, caused by the production process. I wouldn't bother trying to remove them especially since they're on the back of the keycaps and you won't ever see them :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 11:30:59 »
Welcome and congrats on the first board.  I agree with Photekq about leaving the nubs.
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline danny

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 12:07:09 »
Thanks guys!  :) So I'll probably just leave them though I never noticed them on photos of other keycaps.

btw: do I need to pay attention to something special when installing the keycaps?
WASD v2 TKL Blue

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 19:24:51 »
Howdy.

That mark is called a sprue mark.  Read all about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprue_%28manufacturing%29

There is no reason to remove it, a lot of keycaps have a sprue mark.  It will not affect the value of your 'caps or your keyboard.  If you really want to remove it, try very high grain sand paper.  Start with 400 and go up maybe 1200?  I dunno really.  You may not like the look of the keycap after sanding however, since it will not match any of the other keys.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.