Author Topic: (AUS) Royal Typewriter, Melbourne  (Read 3936 times)

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
(AUS) Royal Typewriter, Melbourne
« on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:27:40 »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-TA-Royal-700d-Electric-Word-Processor-Typewriter-/321189067259

They look identical to the Double Shot Cherry keys as per this thread:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36189.30

I'd purchase this myself but it's too far out of the way for me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 August 2013, 04:57:37 by strafe »
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
Re: (AUS) Royal Typewriter, Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 12:09:36 »
that looks like the TA Royal Alpha 610 I picked up.
the caps are a very nice dark green on beige (i think)
if it's like the 610 it would have cherry M9 switches (like the m8 only taller and reversible between linear or tactile)
here are some potato pics to give you a little closer look at the legends

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:07:50 »
It's almost tempting to get this just for that backspace, but it probably wouldn't fit any keyboard I have.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:16:17 »
here is my backspace on my TT Meka, using it as my Tab  :rolleyes:
33321-0

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:23:39 »
It's almost tempting to get this just for that backspace, but it probably wouldn't fit any keyboard I have.

Yeah I saw this earlier in the week but it's not the CODE key I'm looking for dammit!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:32:18 »

Yeah I saw this earlier in the week but it's not the CODE key I'm looking for dammit!
actually I was mistaken, it's the same size and doubleshot like the backspace I am using, but the one I showed was from a TA Royal Alpha 115, which does have the CODE key you might or might not be looking for

warning, grainy pic :(

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:52:03 »
Yeah the delete key is very cool looking, but it's a 1.5 so unless you have an old Chery model like a 077*, Race or BL82 or something then no, it's too small for most keyboards.

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:55:06 »
yea, I was lucky it fit on my meka, it fits on the caps lock key (the 1.5 code key) since it doesn't have stabs

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 10:01:13 »
I was just browsing eBay to see if there were other Royal Alpha typewriters near me, and ran across the one below.  Absolutely love those keycaps!

33330-0

Almost worth is just to find out if they're MX-compatible...

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 10:06:44 »
if memory serves me correct those aren't mx compatible.
you could probably mod them with enough time and effort

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 19:12:36 »

actually I was mistaken, it's the same size and doubleshot like the backspace I am using, but the one I showed was from a TA Royal Alpha 115, which does have the CODE key you might or might not be looking for

Show Image

Yep, that's the one. And they NEVER seem to come up on eBay :(
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 17:56:41 »

Show Image

Yep, that's the one. And they NEVER seem to come up on eBay :(
I found mine in a thrift store, you don't even want to know what they were charging