Author Topic: The GH80-1800, a replacement PCB for G80/G81-1800 boards (with plate design!)  (Read 2294 times)

Offline maartenwut

• I like programmable keyboards
    • Atomkb.eu
Gerbers & DXF
I'll publish the PCB design files once it's perfect, but you can already find a plate design at the bottom of this post.

Layouts
201416-0

Case compatibility
The PCB and plate should work with:
  • G80-1800 case
  • G81-1800 case
  • Dolch PAC keyboard case
It might fit other cases as well, but that has not been tested.

The PCB
The PCB is designed to be a replacement for the original G80-1800 PCB, to be able to use QMK and a nicer USB cable/panel mount connector using the two sideways USB connectors.
There is a USB port in the center as well. It also has a nice spot under the spacebar for an ISP header and a reset button, both of which are accessible through the plate. No disassembly required to flash anything  :)

Many diodes fit the PCB, including 0805, SOD-123 and through-hole (DO-35) packages.
Other packages should fit as well, please check the dimensions and datasheets of the diodes you want to use.

Plates
There are two plate designs: one for ANSI and one for ISO layouts. Both of them are identical except for the shift and enter keys and support all other layouts which are supported by this PCB.
The plate should also be compatible with the original G80-1800 PCB and might work with other replacement PCBs.

Availability
I might occasionally sell them on my website, atomkb.eu, but others might assemble a small batch as well and sell them through here or other channels.
This is not intended to be a group buy and probably never will be one, so you have to source and assemble the PCB and plate yourself.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 August 2018, 06:03:52 by maartenwut »

Offline maartenwut

• Atomkb.eu
Re: The GH80-1800 project
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 17:15:56 »
I plan to publish the files when it's all done along with the plate designs.  :thumb:

Offline LightningXI

• * Esteemed Elder
  • PPD
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 02:20:12 »
Exciting. I will be following this project. I'd actually love to have my own Cherry 1800 with a custom PCB and plate :thumb: if it's affordable.

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
  • Because You Need the Feels...
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 10:44:50 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 July 2018, 11:03:03 by TheKeyCompany »

Offline jamoz330

• Yup
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 10:51:53 »

Offline jamoz330

• Yup
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 10:57:33 »
So you basically copied my design?

https://thekey.company/products/pcb-for-tkc-1800

I didn't know you created the 1800 layout.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 11:02:53 »
Maarten designer of 1800 layout confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 11:06:23 »

I didn't know you created the 1800 layout.

I think the complaint is more about the right angle USB connector and the cut in the PCB which AFAIK no one did before TKC.

Be interesting to see if GH feels about PCBs like it does colorways.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 July 2018, 11:08:02 by TerryMathews »

Offline maartenwut

• Atomkb.eu
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 11:10:15 »

I did not copy your design at all. I can see that they are pretty similar in form since they are made to fit one keyboard, and mine is just one out of the handful of options for this keyboard. It's like saying the DZ60 is a copy of the GH60, which is a copy of the Pok3r, etc. They're all just similar products designed to fit one case. Heck, Cherry could say you copied their design. Actually, the PCB hineybush made inspired me to design my own because it was a pain to get the panel-mount USB connector (hence the USB port sideways) to fit and I didn't like some design elements. I understand that you have to protect your intellectual property, but this just doesn't seem like the way to go about it.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 11:21:52 »
Time to get some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
  • Because You Need the Feels...
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 12:09:03 »

I did not copy your design at all. I can see that they are pretty similar in form since they are made to fit one keyboard, and mine is just one out of the handful of options for this keyboard. It's like saying the DZ60 is a copy of the GH60, which is a copy of the Pok3r, etc. They're all just similar products designed to fit one case. Heck, Cherry could say you copied their design. Actually, the PCB hineybush made inspired me to design my own because it was a pain to get the panel-mount USB connector (hence the USB port sideways) to fit and I didn't like some design elements. I understand that you have to protect your intellectual property, but this just doesn't seem like the way to go about it.

My apologies, I came off as a bit abrasive. Not my intentions to be a ****. I could have chosen my words more carefully.

I never claimed to invent the 1800 layout as some earlier comments implied, Iím not sure how they even took my comment to mean that. Your usb position and isp header are just very  similar to my design. If you came up with those ideas without ever having seen mine, then my hats off to you. Smart moves and nice work!

Offline maartenwut

• Atomkb.eu
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 12:25:59 »

My apologies, I came off as a bit abrasive. Not my intentions to be a ****. I could have chosen my words more carefully.

I never claimed to invent the 1800 layout as some earlier comments implied, Iím not sure how they even took my comment to mean that. Your usb position and isp header are just very  similar to my design. If you came up with those ideas without ever having seen mine, then my hats off to you. Smart moves and nice work!
Well yeah, I placed one USB connector in the center and another sideways because of this and on a location where the case wouldn't cause problems because of the standoffs. I'm guessing you did the same, and that's why it's in a similar location. I'm not sure how my ISP header looks like yours, but whatever. I even suggest you to use the standard pinout, saves us hobbyists a lot of work. Thanks for the response :)

Offline LightningXI

• * Esteemed Elder
  • PPD
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 16:24:58 »
Glad that there was an apology and we can continue to follow this project for the good work's that is being done for it. :thumb: Look forward to more progress!

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • too many ideas, not enough money
    • Cartel Keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 11:38:29 »
Didn't know you were making a PCB alongside the plate, nice. Did you use the spacing and component placement from the PCB files I sent you to use for the plate?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 July 2018, 11:40:12 by hineybush »

Offline maartenwut

• Atomkb.eu
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 11:58:02 »
Didn't know you were making a PCB alongside the plate, nice. Did you use the spacing and component placement from the PCB files I sent you to use for the plate?

I found the right spacing before you sent me the files, and it just so happens to be the same  ;)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • too many ideas, not enough money
    • Cartel Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 12:06:14 »
then why did you ask me for my PCB file? I'm genuinely curious, as you said you needed it for the spacing of the switches etc. since it's not standard

either way, it's nice to see a slight improvement over my original design. my v2 is still in the works, but I haven't had much time to work on it lately
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 July 2018, 12:26:33 by hineybush »

Offline maartenwut

• Atomkb.eu
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 13:23:16 »
then why did you ask me for my PCB file? I'm genuinely curious, as you said you needed it for the spacing of the switches etc. since it's not standard

either way, it's nice to see a slight improvement over my original design. my v2 is still in the works, but I haven't had much time to work on it lately

I originally wanted to make a plate for yours, which I needed your files for, but then I got my hands on a few 1800 cases and needed more PCBs, so I decided to make my own from scratch with a few adjustments and improvements. Just to be clear: I didn't copy anything. I'm excited to see what v2 will bring  :)

Offline maartenwut

• Atomkb.eu
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 04:41:12 »
Prototype has been built and here it is!

201375-0201377-1201379-2

Offline maartenwut

• Atomkb.eu
Re: The GH80-1800, a replacement PCB for G80/G81-1800 boards (with plate!)
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 06:01:05 »
Gave the OP a little overhaul and the plate designs are up as well!  :D