Author Topic: Loose spacebar and slight ring ?  (Read 1495 times)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
Loose spacebar and slight ring ?
« on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 02:42:51 »
Hey I just put some thick PBT caps on my Filco Magestouch 2. And most of the keys on stabilizers (especially the spacebar) are not as tight as the original keys that came on it. I checked the stabilizer inserts
and they look good so I thought I would post and see if someone could give me any suggestions. I also hear a metallic ring when I bottom out my right Control key. Is that the dreaded "ping" sound I hear people complain about with Filco boards? And would anyone have any ideas on how to make that stop as well?

~ Thanks
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 02:44:33 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline PointyFox

Re: Loose spacebar and slight ring ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 03:01:39 »
A lot of sets have loose modifiers (I think they're all made by SP).  You fix it by putting a piece of tissue or other thin material on the stem, then inserting the stabilizer, pushing the tissue into the keycap.  Yes, that's a "ping".  It's due to resonance of the springs.  Maybe reseating the spring in the switch will fix it.  It's not really a problem, as if you press any of the switches hard enough, they will produce a ping noise; though some happen to be louder than others due to reasons. :P

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 03:28:03 »
A lot of sets have loose modifiers (I think they're all made by SP).  You fix it by putting a piece of tissue or other thin material on the stem, then inserting the stabilizer, pushing the tissue into the keycap.  Yes, that's a "ping".  It's due to resonance of the springs.  Maybe reseating the spring in the switch will fix it.  It's not really a problem, as if you press any of the switches hard enough, they will produce a ping noise; though some happen to be louder than others due to reasons. :P

Okay, thanks. I will try that tomorrow. So just put a small piece of tissue on the top of the stem so that it makes it fit tighter is what you are saying.  Correct?

Oh and I do not know if you can help me with this but, I have made like 5 posts and it is still saying that I have made zero posts?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline danny

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 08:38:58 »
Posts in the new members forum won't be counted  ;)
WASD v2 TKL Blue