Author Topic: Best fitting Thick PBT caps for Filco ?  (Read 6125 times)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
Best fitting Thick PBT caps for Filco ?
« on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 16:35:56 »
Just wondering what are some of the best fitting thick PBT caps that fit Filco's ? Are there any that do not require putting tissue paper on the stem to make them fit tight like stock Filco caps?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
Re: Best fitting Thick PBT caps for Filco ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 17:05:00 »
IMSTO? I Why is the tissue paper needed for Filco? Did they trim down the cherry mx stems?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 17:29:35 »
I have imtso and they fit perfectly!
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 18:01:38 »
lol I don't think tissue paper work, but most people use plastic wraps when the stem is loose.

For imsto I'd say the stems are ok, not too loose.  But you might have issue with Cherry profile grinding Costar stabilizers.  Most of the time it should be ok I only have issue with Enter key.  In which case you'd have to shave off the inside of the keycap a little bit.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 20:23:14 »
lol I don't think tissue paper work, but most people use plastic wraps when the stem is loose.

For imsto I'd say the stems are ok, not too loose.  But you might have issue with Cherry profile grinding Costar stabilizers.  Most of the time it should be ok I only have issue with Enter key.  In which case you'd have to shave off the inside of the keycap a little bit.

You mean like  saran wrap? I got them from feng, and most of the keys fit fine. It's just the keys on stabilizers that are a little loose. I'am just trying to find out how to get mine as tight as the ones that came on the Filco.  And where I can get some that fit as tight as the original right off the back with out having to use saran wrap?
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 00:44:22 »

You mean like  saran wrap? I got them from feng, and most of the keys fit fine. It's just the keys on stabilizers that are a little loose. I'am just trying to find out how to get mine as tight as the ones that came on the Filco.  And where I can get some that fit as tight as the original right off the back with out having to use saran wrap?
you can put some teflon tape on to the stabilizer insert , so that it will be tighter but still easy to pull it off. for myself, i just use some clear plastic tape, but it didn;t work well

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 12:28:05 »
I have the imsto keycaps (via Feng on eBay) and they fit my Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja perfectly.

The lower profile compared to the Filco OEM ABS keys do allow a bit more gap to show through between the keys to the deck below, but I kind of like the overall effect of this.

But they fit the cherry stems perfectly, as best as I can tell. I also have o-rings fitted on brown switches and another set of the same keycaps on red switches without o-rings, all fitting snugly.

In short: most of the thick PBT keycaps you'll find for sale are all from the same manufacturer (even if from different vendors), but I wouldn't worry about them fitting a Filco! :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 12:31:46 »
FWIW, here is a better picture of the gaps-between-keys phenomenon:

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 September 2013, 02:12:37 by norbauer »

Offline divito

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 14:38:47 »
FWIW, here is a better picture of the gaps-between-keys phenomenon, btw:

Show Image

That thing is sexy. What keys are those?
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 01:36:11 »

Show Image

I agree. I'm really happy with the keys. They are from Feng on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230957623025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330950287238?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 01:49:05 »
I have the imsto keycaps (via Feng on eBay) and they fit my Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja perfectly.

The lower profile compared to the Filco OEM ABS keys do allow a bit more gap to show through between the keys to the deck below, but I kind of like the overall effect of this.

Show Image

But they fit the cherry stems perfectly, as best as I can tell. I also have o-rings fitted on brown switches and another set of the same keycaps on red switches without o-rings, all fitting snugly.

In short: most of the thick PBT keycaps you'll find for sale are all from the same manufacturer (even if from different vendors), but I wouldn't worry about them fitting a Filco! :)

I think mine look great. Almost all of the caps fit fine. It's just the spacebar, right shift and right enter keys that seem alittle loose. Iam going to take them off and look at the stabilizer inserts again just to make sure.  Here is a pic of them. They look wonderful.

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 September 2013, 01:56:13 by CommonCurt »
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline norbauer

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 02:16:53 »
I think mine look great. Almost all of the caps fit fine. It's just the spacebar, right shift and right enter keys that seem alittle loose. Iam going to take them off and look at the stabilizer inserts again just to make sure.  Here is a pic of them. They look wonderful.

The skull is a nice touch. Does it match the cherry profile of the rest of your keys, or is it OEM? I have hesitated to fit a novelty cap on my Esc only because most of them don't match the cherry profile, but in many ways the Esc key stands apart from the rest on a keyboard, so having it be different might not really seem odd after all.

Sometimes the stabilizer inserts get worn down and as a result can move around loosely in the holders. You can order replacements on a one-off basis from WASD Keyboards for cheap. Might be worth a try.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 02:35:44 »

The skull is a nice touch. Does it match the cherry profile of the rest of your keys, or is it OEM? I have hesitated to fit a novelty cap on my Esc only because most of them don't match the cherry profile, but in many ways the Esc key stands apart from the rest on a keyboard, so having it be different might not really seem odd after all.

Sometimes the stabilizer inserts get worn down and as a result can move around loosely in the holders. You can order replacements on a one-off basis from WASD Keyboards for cheap. Might be worth a try.

The skull & crossbones cap is PBT and it matches my profile fine to me.  It has a little bit more of a dip in it then my cherry profile set though. I know what you mean about wanting it to match the cherry profile. Just play around with some and if it looks good keep it there.  As for the stabilizers on my board in question it couldn't be. This board is not even two months old. Iam going to check the stabilizer inserts again and make sure they are all the way in flush. I got the inserts from WASD.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 September 2013, 02:37:33 by CommonCurt »
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline divito

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 02:43:58 »

Show Image

I agree. I'm really happy with the keys. They are from Feng on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230957623025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330950287238?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Hmm. But if you ever want to get rid of that board, I'd love to take it off your hands :D
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)