Author Topic: Thanks for making me spend a bunch of money!  (Read 3359 times)

Offline SquawkVFR

Thanks for making me spend a bunch of money!
« on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 01:37:33 »
I figured after buying two keyboards in under a week after discovering this forum, I would go ahead and register so I can participate in the madness.  I already appreciate all the helpful posts and threads on the forum, and hope to be able to contribute.

I'm typing this on my new CM QFR with MX Browns, looking at a replacement keycap set for it, and have a Poker II with browns on the way as well.  See you guys and gals on the forums.

~Alex

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Re: Thanks for making me spend a bunch of money!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 03:33:13 »
Welcome to...

33561-0

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 09:01:43 »
Welcome :D
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 09:18:37 »
... and thats only the beginning... wait until you discover topre or clacks...

Offline poxeclipse

• Hit me with music ... yes, me friend
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 09:57:56 »
And never, ever, touch an F-122 ...

Offline SquawkVFR

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 11:01:03 »
I've seen the prices on Topre KBs, and have read about the Clacks secondary market here...  I'm not even going  to look up an F-122.

I've spent almost $80 on keycaps since I started this thread...

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 11:16:55 »
Welcome to WalletClack!
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 13:40:34 »
I've seen the prices on Topre KBs, and have read about the Clacks secondary market here...  I'm not even going  to look up an F-122.

lol @ $80.  I spent $80 while typing this reply.  You have no idea what's in store for you, obviously.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 15:38:09 »

The only way to keep yourself in check is to have no money.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 23:46:35 »
srsly. I just discovered geekhack like 2-3 weeks ago, and I think that I'm just going to set up a willing mainline IV into my bank account for feng, et al.

And I just figured out last night how to order things from Taobao. This could be bad.

Come next week, I'm going be able to dive into a sea of PBT keycaps like Scooge McDuck into his vault. And with a similar net value on the contents. :S

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 00:15:20 »

That's all!? You've just begun. Leave the clacks and the Korean keyboards alone and you will keep afloat, maybe!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 00:21:04 »
and the Korean keyboards

Ugh. I spent a significant amount of time today looking at KMACs. Thankfully they don't come in 104-key versions (as best as I can tell) or I'd be figuring out how to commission a bespoke one of those too.

Offline SquawkVFR

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 00:48:04 »
I don't see myself getting into clacks, I went the "collector item" route with expensive knives a while back (but I you never know).   Care to share info on how to purchase form these Korean websites?  :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 00:59:23 »
I don't see myself getting into clacks, I went the "collector item" route with expensive knives a while back (but I you never know).   Care to share info on how to purchase form these Korean websites?  :)

I'm with you on that. At this point, I'm really just looking for a couple of keyboards to have around that are both aesthetically appealing and feel great. The idea of wanting an expensive keycap just because it's rare seems silly to me—though I do find that people on GH are so into the idea to be kind of cute, and probably a good community-building sort of thing.

Regarding how to buy one of the fancy Korean metal-housing keyboards: I wish I knew! That's really the point that I'm at right now. I have stumbled into sites of people doing custom builds who can get the hardware, but they seem mostly to be in Korean and poorly translated by Chrome. I was thinking of starting a thread on here asking for advice, but I thought I would try to work out precisely what it is that I'm looking for first.

Unfortunately, KMACs all seem to run around $400+, but damn are they pretty. My understanding is that they are a group effort/product of a GH-like community in Korea.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 01:09:52 »
Care to share info on how to purchase form these Korean websites?  :)

Oh, I just realized when you said Korean websites that you probably were referring to my comment about Taobao.

Taobao is actually a Chinese site, with tons of keyboard and keycap vendors. It's quite difficult to navigate and impossible to order from directly.

However, sites like http://www.buychina.com/ will act as sales agents for you for a small fee. They do the order processing, have stuff shipped to their warehouse, and then turn it around to you for international dispatch. I used http://taobaofocus.com/. Their website is awful, but I preferred it because they take Paypal, and I didn't want to give my credit card details directly to some sketchy Chinese website.

Offline SquawkVFR

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 01:37:08 »
Cool man, I appreciate the craniums up.   $400 is a bit too steep for me at the moment... I was looking at an HHKB, but seem to be getting mixed messages on Topres for gaming.  I just really dig the 60% KBs.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 02:03:02 »
I'm sure I'll eventually succumb to curiosity and give a Topre a go. They're also really expensive, though, and the idea of rubber in my keys seems bad to me: like it would cause too much resistance, and I like a really light touch when typing (which is why I prefer MX reds.)

Can you explain the 60% thing to me? How do you access things like arrow keys? There's a function modifier key that hides them under something else, I presume?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 02:14:14 »
$400 is a bit too steep for me at the moment... I was looking at an HHKB, but seem to be getting mixed messages on Topres for gaming.

You will soon learn that $400 is a little on the cheap side.  On average you'll be looking at around $600 for a decent setup.  Plus don't forget all the Group Buys you'll be wanting to be in  8) .

Yes, you'll soon regret ever delving into "Geekhack" a place where time stops and your wallet will always go missing like in the Bermuda Triangle.

Offline SquawkVFR

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 02:30:50 »
$400 is a bit too steep for me at the moment... I was looking at an HHKB, but seem to be getting mixed messages on Topres for gaming.

You will soon learn that $400 is a little on the cheap side.  On average you'll be looking at around $600 for a decent setup.  Plus don't forget all the Group Buys you'll be wanting to be in  8) .

Yes, you'll soon regret ever delving into "Geekhack" a place where time stops and your wallet will always go missing like in the Bermuda Triangle.

I think I already do regret it... I don't even know how I ended up here.

Can you explain the 60% thing to me? How do you access things like arrow keys? There's a function modifier key that hides them under something else, I presume?

For me it's partly aesthetics, and I also play quite a bit of League of Legends, so missing the arrow keys and functions doesn't matter for certain games.  By the time I decided to register, I had come to terms with having more than one KB readily available.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 02:37:14 »
Cool man, I appreciate the craniums up.   $400 is a bit too steep for me at the moment... I was looking at an HHKB, but seem to be getting mixed messages on Topres for gaming.  I just really dig the 60% KBs.

Whoever told you that HHKB is bad for gaming is either misinformed, a Topre hater, or just simply wrong, or all three.  I am embarrassed to admit how much time I spend gaming.  So I won't tell you.  But let me say that I have tried every kind of keyboard for gaming and my current HHKB Pro 2 Type-S is the best of all of them.  I have tried all of these MX switches for gaming:  red, brown, black, blue, green, grey and clear.  Topre is better than all of them.

Here is what I use for gaming right now:

If gaming is your thing.  Then get yourself an HHKB.

Offline SquawkVFR

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 02:53:39 »
Quote from: eth0s

Whoever told you that HHKB is bad for gaming is either misinformed, a Topre hater, or just simply wrong, or all three.  I am embarrassed to admit how much time I spend gaming.  So I won't tell you.  But let me say that I have tried every kind of keyboard for gaming and my current HHKB Pro 2 Type-S is the best of all of them.  I have tried all of these MX switches for gaming:  red, brown, black, blue, green, grey and clear.  Topre is better than all of them.

Show Image

Oh no, please don't say that....

Is your HHKB 55g or 45g?  Most people seem to reference HHKBs for typing, where as Cherry MXs get a lot mroe love for gaming.  That could be price and market availability as well though.

Also, don't worry about time spent gaming, I'm on a four day weekend and the only thing I have done is ate, slept, and played PC games.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 03:05:13 »
Quote from: eth0s

Show Image

Oh no, please don't say that....

Is your HHKB 55g or 45g?  Most people seem to reference HHKBs for typing, where as Cherry MXs get a lot mroe love for gaming.  That could be price and market availability as well though.

Also, don't worry about time spent gaming, I'm on a four day weekend and the only thing I have done is ate, slept, and played PC games.

My HHKB Pro 2 is all 45 gram, and it's the Type-S, which has silenced switches.  The only way to get a 55g HHKB is to modify the 45g yourself.  I have never done it, b/c I prefer 45g.  I dunno who would want stiffer switches for gaming.  I guess people who are not good at gaming.  The best thing about HHKB is the actuation force "bump" comes near the top of the keystroke, so you are sure the key has been pressed.  This has obvious benefits for a gamer.  Also the 60% size is excellent for gaming.  It's like some kind of gamer pad, but it has a full keyboard.  It's simply awesome.