Author Topic: This forum gave me Tendonitis!!!  (Read 1589 times)

Offline kaltar

This forum gave me Tendonitis!!!
« on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 19:58:04 »
A little background: Grew up typing on IBM-m. All the 90's I was coding happily with my keyboard. As long as it was the extended layout, I had no problem.   
When OSX came out, I made a switch (From using Linux and Windows) and my shorcut memory had to be retrained, however, OSX uses another type of layout for the modifiers:

CTRL, ALT (option) and Command.
I never used the Command button before. Even on Windows, when they keyboards with the WIN key came out, I just despised it. However, in OSX, its fundamental. It's used inside OSX more often than CTRL or ALT. My fast using of ALT and CTRL were thrown to the drain and had to learn to use OSX keyboards as they were designed to be used: Command key is pressed with your thumbs.

10 years forward (now). I always wanted a HHKB since they came out, but never thought about getting one to cover such expense. So started researching and got to this forum, learned about the Poker II and got it right away.  I loved what some of you guys have done with them and so grateful for the inspiring pictures.(I got at the same time a new mouse Logitech G700). Now, since I configured the poker to use the same layout of apple (command keys near to the backspace) I ended up twisting my thumbs, and the next day I had such a terrible pain in my thumbs. I had terrible pain at night and had to stop using the keyboard and the mouse just in case. It's been a week and Im fine now and posting.

I had a similar pain before (given by the Apple Magic Mouse). I realize that ergonomics are so important for me. That's the reason I got a Microsoft ergonomic 4000 a year ago. But before getting the Poker, I had forgotten the feeling of typing on a mechanical keyboard. What a feeling!

So, in short, thanks for this forum, tempting me for cherry keys and cute layouts, I got tendonitis!

Now, In response to the tendonitis, I also got a Kinesis Classic with cherry brown... :) It's no joke that money leaves your pocket as soon as you read this forum!

I loved the feeling but can't keep the Poker II due to my hands... Is anybody interested in  a 4-hours-used Poker II with a replacement black spacebar?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
Re: This forum gave me Tendonitis!!!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 20:13:45 »
Sorry about the tendon pain.

You can make a classifieds thread for the Poker once you get 60 posts.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline kaltar

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 22:13:36 »
60 Posts? Wow, that's a lot... But understandable!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 19:06:48 »
This forum gave me tumescence.