Author Topic: Gaming mice?  (Read 3256 times)

Offline dragonxx21

Gaming mice?
« on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 00:15:06 »
So as I've been thinking about making the switch to a mechanical keyboard sometime in the near future, I've also started to think about purchasing a new mouse. I've never used anything besides stock mice before, and my brother's Razer Naga. For those of you with experience, is it worth it to go for a gaming mouse with all their fancy macro keys and DPI settings? I've started to look into the R.A.T. series, but have always been skeptical towards Mad Catz. Has anyone had the chance to try out any of the mice in the RAT line?
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Re: Gaming mice?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 00:17:06 »
I have the RAT 3, its ok but not amazing. I wouldn't buy any of the RATs at normal price.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 00:30:29 »
I have the RAT 3, its ok but not amazing. I wouldn't buy any of the RATs at normal price.
Honestly only considered the RAT 3 because of your post in the great finds section. Is there any specific reason they offer the MIR for the package, or is it simply to get you to activate the program it comes with?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline missalaire

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 00:45:50 »
Honestly only considered the RAT 3 because of your post in the great finds section. Is there any specific reason they offer the MIR for the package, or is it simply to get you to activate the program it comes with?

Probably just to get you to use the software. RAT 3 for $5 or $10 isn't a bad deal, I wouldn't pay anything more for it though. I got a Corsair M65 not too long ago and its pretty good. I own a Logitech G9x too and I like that one a lot. If I had to recommend anything, I'd prob recommend a G9x or G400.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 00:46:40 »

Probably just to get you to use the software. RAT 3 for $5 or $10 isn't a bad deal, I wouldn't pay anything more for it though. I got a Corsair M65 not too long ago and its pretty good. I own a Logitech G9x too and I like that one a lot. If I had to recommend anything, I'd prob recommend a G9x or G400.
Alright, thank you, I will take a look at those two.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline missalaire

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 00:47:52 »

Keep in mind though, that mice are also subjective to hand size. If you have larger hands, they may feel too small for you.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 00:53:43 »

Keep in mind though, that mice are also subjective to hand size. If you have larger hands, they may feel too small for you.
I've been using a cheap logitech wireless mouse for the longest time now, and it's quite small, so I probably wouldn't mind too much, but thank you again.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 05:09:06 »
Click the link in my sig, there's quite a bit of info there.

There's also a dedicated forum section for pointing devices, the input devices section, you could have a look at the threads there and see what's being said about the various mice.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 06:20:07 »
The R.A.T. 7 is amazing, absolutely my favorite mice. It's just incredibly comfortable, and the back/forward buttons are in the exact correct spot. And you can adjust it to the size of your hand. I just can't go back to mice that do not have a thumb and pinky rest anymore.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Winther

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 08:42:26 »
Personally I dont really have any use for alot of keys, as long as I have a mouse wheel and a thumb button for back and forward, then Im all set. And I rarely change the DPI setting.

The reason I like gaming mice is better censors and better ergonomics for gaming (and for general use for that matter)

At some point, when I have the money or my ACE Edge 3200 dies, I would like to try Func's high-end mouse, looks really good and good reviews from what I have heard, also I would like to try the "sniper button" :)

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 08:51:27 »
I bought a Logitech G700s the other day... my favorite thing about it is that you can remap the buttons to any key or macro, has 5 profiles, and it has onboard memory, so you don't need to install the software on other computers to use them. So, I have a "gaming" profile, a "normal" profile, and a "work" profiles, and on my work profile, I have Ctrl, Meta, Alt + F4, Ctrl + c, server addresses and whatnot that I use all the time mapped, and it has been awesome--has really augmented my HHKB.  In gaming mode, the battery life absolutely sucks, though.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 11:41:23 »
People who are really particular about their mice swear by this...

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 11:48:00 »
The MX518 is not just an "okay" mouse. It's a fantastic mouse.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 12:02:59 »

It has a sensor with angle snapping, which is why it doesn't get up to the G400. But that list is dumb, anyone who swears by it and isn't a professional gamer has got things a bit wrong. Most people looking for advice on mice are always better off focusing on shape and additional features rather than sensor.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 12:05:08 »

It has a sensor with angle snapping, which is why it doesn't get up to the G400. But that list is dumb, anyone who swears by it and isn't a professional gamer has got things a bit wrong. Most people looking for advice on mice are always better off focusing on shape and additional features rather than sensor.

Eh the guy who actually linked that to me is really into FPS games so it probably makes a difference there. For the average player, I wouldn't really read that much into it.

Offline mauri

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 12:09:25 »

Eh the guy who actually linked that to me is really into FPS games so it probably makes a difference there. For the average player, I wouldn't really read that much into it.

It's only a matter of getting used to things, many cs pros played with kinzu, ikari or mx518(0)
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 12:11:07 »

Yeah, it's important for something like Quake, but Quake and games like it, Warsow etc, are so small these days that assuming that's what the person will be using it for is pointless. For most other FPS games it generally only matters if you play at a pro level, and generally pros don't go on forums asking "guys what mouse should I get."
Not saying that some hardcore amateur CS players don't need a perfect sensor for their setup, but what I'm saying is that outside of competitive play you can use settings that compensate for a flawed sensor and still get away with it if you're good at the game, so it's not strictly needed. And those people generally fall into the same category as the pros in the sense that they don't really ask for advice on new mice.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 12:16:08 »
I've never, not even once, had a problem with the MX518's sensor. Yes, I play(ed) competitively. It has never stuck on me or acted weird, even though it's now almost 10 years old. Within a few months my Lachesis Refresh was giving me problems, and my R.A.T. 7 skipped a few times, too. The MX518 is the most reliable mouse I have ever used, and I still use it to this day.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 12:24:47 »
I've never, not even once, had a problem with the MX518's sensor. Yes, I play(ed) competitively. It has never stuck on me or acted weird, even though it's now almost 10 years old. Within a few months my Lachesis Refresh was giving me problems, and my R.A.T. 7 skipped a few times, too. The MX518 is the most reliable mouse I have ever used, and I still use it to this day.

Well comparing it to the RAT and Lachesis Refresh is a bit unfair since both of those use the PTE sensor which is the least reliable one. The angle snapping in the MX518 sensor can actually help in 3D shooters, I can't remember the reasoning why, but it had something to do with the movement and whatnot, so maybe part of the reason the MX518 was so popular was that the angle snapping actually helped some people. Although that's just a possible theory, the most plausible reason is because of the shape and has nothing to do with the sensor.

Although despite being one of the worst sensors, the PTE still isn't much of an issue for casual gaming. I have been playing CSS, CSGO and TF2 and done well in all of them with PTE mice. And I used the original G5 to play semi-competitive CSS ages ago, and that sensor is horrible.
Basically, at lower level FPS skill matters far more than equipment.

Offline mr. rampage

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 12:36:18 »

QFTW. Only issue I have with the MX518 is the peeling rubber. G400 has been great as well... but it's also starting to peel as well.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 12:51:23 »
That's weird, the rubber on my MX518 is still fine. The top of the finish has some wear on it, but that's about it. It's at the office now so I can't take a picture of it, but I can tomorrow. It's still in amazingly good shape considering I used it non stop for 9-10 years.