Author Topic: Leopold FC660C Keycaps  (Read 50360 times)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
Leopold FC660C Keycaps
« on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 19:04:27 »
So I've been reading comparisons and debates on the HHKB Pro 2 and the Leopold FC660C. What I want to know is about the profile on the 660C. I currently own the FC660M, and I forced myself to change the keycaps because I really didn't like how the flat and short the 660M stock caps were. I made so many errors because I caught my fingers would end up getting in between two caps. I also hate how uncustomizable the fc660m keycaps are due to the size on the right shift and the awkward spacebar.

So, I am wondering if the keycaps for the fc660c are similar to the keycaps on the fc660m. Also give me a statement as to why I should get a 660c over the HHKB Pro 2.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline muad

Re: Leopold FC660C Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 19:10:38 »
I have the fc660m and I found a similar problem. The more I type on it the more accurate my typing has become. The fc660c has a smaller radius and is more like standard keycaps. Compare this pic to your fc660m... it's visually quite a bit more round.

http://www.bytecellar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/8742104187_0b3b984109_b.jpg

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 19:15:20 »
That answered my question straight up. The keycaps on the FC660C definitely seem better than the keycaps on the FC660M. They look standard so I actually might get this and save money. Now if only they made the FC660C in white with white alpha keys and gray modifiers like the HHKB...then I would hop on this in a second.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 19:30:36 »
So I've been reading comparisons and debates on the HHKB Pro 2 and the Leopold FC660C. What I want to know is about the profile on the 660C. I currently own the FC660M, and I forced myself to change the keycaps because I really didn't like how the flat and short the 660M stock caps were. I made so many errors because I caught my fingers would end up getting in between two caps. I also hate how uncustomizable the fc660m keycaps are due to the size on the right shift and the awkward spacebar.

So, I am wondering if the keycaps for the fc660c are similar to the keycaps on the fc660m. Also give me a statement as to why I should get a 660c over the HHKB Pro 2.

I have both, the FC660M and the FC660C. By far, the FC660C is the superior board, because of its Topre switches. I find that my typing speed and accuracy are significantly higher with the FC660C than any other board except my IBM SSK. Moreover, I much prefer the typing feel and sound of the FC660C over any other board I have used, with the possible exception of the IBM SSK. Certainly there is no doubt at all that the Topre switches feel and sound better, at least to me, than any Cherry-switch board I have used, and I have tried many.

The chief drawback of the FC660C is the appearance of the keycaps. Although they are PBT, which feels good, they fall far short of the quality and elegant good looks of the dye-sublimated white and light gray keycaps on the Realforce 87U or the HHKB Pro 2.

I would like to see Realforce produce a mini keyboard with a 60+% form factor, similar to the Leopold FC660C. I envision an even more refined keyboard than the Leopold, with the build quality and reliability of a Realforce, the styling elegance of the HHKB Pro 2, and the top-notch dye-sub PBT keycaps of the RF 87U or HHKB Pro 2.

Offline muad

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 19:36:42 »
I have somehow just decided to reorder the fc660c after cancelling my order a few weeks ago... look what you bastards did!

Seriously though, I think everyone wants to see a fc660c with white alpha and grey modifier keys like the hhkb. Now here is a dilemma.. What happens if I order the fc660c now and they come out with new and improved keycaps that are not available separately? Can I forgive myself? 

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 19:38:21 »
The chief drawback of the FC660C is the appearance of the keycaps. Although they are PBT, which feels good, they fall far short of the quality and elegant good looks of the dye-sublimated white and light gray keycaps on the Realforce 87U or the HHKB Pro 2.

I would like to see Realforce produce a mini keyboard with a 60+% form factor, similar to the Leopold FC660C. I envision an even more refined keyboard than the Leopold, with the build quality and reliability of a Realforce, the styling elegance of the HHKB Pro 2, and the top-notch dye-sub PBT keycaps of the RF 87U or HHKB Pro 2.

That is also what's stopping me from buying the board. I really like how the HHKB Pro 2 looks with its sleek design and the choice of white/gray blank PBT keycaps. The fc660c are only in black with those printed keycaps even though they are PBT. They really need to sell them with blank like their FC660M, and in white. I would be all over it. I am a sucker for looks lol.

I just really want my Topre fix XD. Ugh such a hard debate...

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 19:44:49 »
I have somehow just decided to reorder the fc660c after cancelling my order a few weeks ago... look what you bastards did!

Seriously though, I think everyone wants to see a fc660c with white alpha and grey modifier keys like the hhkb. Now here is a dilemma.. What happens if I order the fc660c now and they come out with new and improved keycaps that are not available separately? Can I forgive myself?

I think you would be waiting for a long time...If you are impatient like me, then you wouldn't want to wait for them to release it. Honestly, with how long it took to restock the FC200 boards and how long it took to even get the FC660M onto EK...you would be waiting for a long time. Now my decision is...do I wait till next week for EK to restock the HHKB Pro 2 with blank white....or do I jump the gun when I get my refund check and buy the FC660C. I don't want to be disappointed (I was slightly disappointed when I got my FC660M for $100 shipped and later got a Poker X for $100 shipped and found that the Poker X was better for me).

Offline muad

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:22:15 »
That places you in a very different position than me. I found I like the fc660m more than the poker II for layout, quality and feel issues. Why did you prefer the poker? I am assuming you don't need discrete arrow keys? I personally need the discreet arrow cluster and I like the way the pg and home/end keys are implemented into the fn+arrow layer. If it were not for this I would go for the hhkb. If I were in your shoes and layout is not an issue I would go for the hhkb.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:34:33 by muad »

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:32:42 »
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S is superior to the FC660C.  I have both. 

I don't have the regular HHKB Pro 2, but most of the following will apply to that one as well.

Here is why I prefer HHKB Pro 2 Type-S:

1.  Layout of the keys.  HHKB has distinctive key placement.  Control, backspace, and ~, and pipe bar |\ are all in HHKB pattern.  Which is better.

2.  Sound of the HHKB Pro 2 Type-S is better.

3.  The look of the white and grey is better than beige on black of the FC660C.  Somebody above said it was white on black, but it's not, it's really a beige on black.  Possibly even it's supposed to be a little golden beige or something.  It looks like crap, quite frankly.  Although I really like the keyboard, I really don't like the color scheme.

4.  Blanks are better than letters.

BUT, the FC660C has one great feature and that is the price.   At under $200, it's very appealing.  However, the HHKB Pro 2 is better.  If you get the HHKB Pro 2, you will have one keyboard, since there will never really be a reason to buy the FC660C.  On the other hand, if you get the FC660C, eventually you will have two keyboards, because eventually you will buy the HHKB Pro 2 as well.  There is no better way I can explain it.  Of course having moar keyboards is better than less, but you might want to save money and just get the HHKB Pro 2. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:42:19 »

I don't have the regular HHKB Pro 2, but most of the following will apply to that one as well.

1.  Layout of the keys.  HHKB has distinctive key placement.  Control, backspace, and ~, and pipe bar |\ are all in HHKB pattern.  Which is better.

3.  The look of the white and grey is better than beige on black of the FC660C.  Somebody above said it was white on black, but it's not, it's really a beige on black.  Possibly even it's supposed to be a little golden beige or something.  It looks like crap, quite frankly.  Although I really like the keyboard, I really don't like the color scheme.

BUT, the FC660C has one great feature and that is the price.   At under $200, it's very appealing.  However, the HHKB Pro 2 is better.  If you get the HHKB Pro 2, you will have one keyboard, since there will never really be a reason to buy the FC660C.  On the other hand, if you get the FC660C, eventually you will have two keyboards, because eventually you will buy the HHKB Pro 2 as well.  There is no better way I can explain it.  Of course having moar keyboards is better than less, but you might want to save money and just get the HHKB Pro 2.

I can get used to any layout and switch between layouts fairly easily...What I don't like about the HHKB though is that the capslock is a control key...the reason being is that I type with Colemak which has the capslock as backspace (which I find more efficient than having a control in place of capslock). The price for a Type-s is outrageous ($400! Just for a silent version of the board). Still debating. I want to save money, but I really want a good quality board. Do you own a FC660C? Looks wise though, I am sold on the HHKB. Just gotta wait to restock.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:51:19 »

I can get used to any layout and switch between layouts fairly easily...What I don't like about the HHKB though is that the capslock is a control key...the reason being is that I type with Colemak which has the capslock as backspace (which I find more efficient than having a control in place of capslock). The price for a Type-s is outrageous ($400! Just for a silent version of the board). Still debating. I want to save money, but I really want a good quality board. Do you own a FC660C? Looks wise though, I am sold on the HHKB. Just gotta wait to restock.

Yah, I have the FC660C too. 

Here's all my Topre keyboards.

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S is pretty expensive at $400.  I wish I could tell you it's worth it.  But everybody has to decide that for themselves.  To me it's worth it.  But then again, I'm not a starving college student. 

The regular HHKB is "only" $260.  Which I think might be a better keyboard than FC660C.  However, the FC660C is very good.   So I don't think you will be unhappy with it.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 22:18:00 »

Show Image

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S is pretty expensive at $400.  I wish I could tell you it's worth it.  But everybody has to decide that for themselves.  To me it's worth it.  But then again, I'm not a starving college student. 

The regular HHKB is "only" $260.  Which I think might be a better keyboard than FC660C.  However, the FC660C is very good.   So I don't think you will be unhappy with it.

Ugh I feel like I'm buying a board for the very first time again  :mad:. Well someone on here is offering to sell a FC660C for $170 which is cheaper than on EK...I really like how the HHKB Pro 2 looks though x.x and that layout is nice (minus the control instead of caps lock). I still have time to decide. So....SOMEONE CONVINCE ME EITHER WAY!

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 10:21:46 »
Ugh I feel like I'm buying a board for the very first time again  :mad:. Well someone on here is offering to sell a FC660C for $170 which is cheaper than on EK...I really like how the HHKB Pro 2 looks though x.x and that layout is nice (minus the control instead of caps lock). I still have time to decide. So....SOMEONE CONVINCE ME EITHER WAY!
I am using my Leopold FC660C right now and really enjoying the typing experience. The typing feel and sound of the uniformly weighted 45 gram Topre switches is ideal, and I like the feel of the PBT keycaps. Build quality is good, and the build includes plate-mounted switches for a solid feel and good heft. There are nice touches like rubberized extensible feet. The price is also good for a Topre board.

The board is not perfect, however, and there are a few issues that might be addressed if Leopold comes out with a new edition some day. The main thing that bothers me is the keycaps, and this is something that Leopold and Topre could remedy right away. They need to issue replacement sets that would include two-tone off-white and light gray dye-sub PBT, like those on the HHKB Pro 2 or RF 87U. Otherwise, the Leopold FC660C is a very good keyboard, better than any Cherry-switch board IMO, and almost as good as an IBM SSK.

Regarding the HHKB Pro 2, I have not yet tried this board myself. Based on my experience with the Leopold FC660C, I know I would like the Topre switches. Based on my experience with the Poker II, I know I would not like the lack of dedicated arrow keys. Based on my experience with any board that did not have a mostly standard layout, I think I would have serious problems with the non-standard layout of the HHKB Pro 2. However, based on the design, styling, and appearance of the HHKB Pro 2, it is simply too attractive not to give it a try. It is unfortunate that the price is so high, but one can spend as much or more on a Poker II after dressing it up with custom keycaps and an aluminum case.

I suspect what I will find is that my ideal keyboard has not yet been built. I would like to see Realforce come out with a 60+% board that combines some of the best features of the Leopold FC660C and HHKB Pro 2 in a new hybrid with great build quality, first-rate fit and finish, Topre switches, standard layout in the main typing area, sparse and intuitive Fn layer, and stunning dye-sub PBT keycaps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 September 2013, 13:10:46 by rjrich »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 13:58:12 »

Thanks for listing your reasons for preferring the HHKB Pro 2 Silent Version over the Leopold FC660C.

For many of us, the layout of the HHKB Pro 2 would be the deal-breaker. For some, the layout of the HHKB Pro 2 is ideal, but others need dedicated arrow keys in the primary layer and a standard layout in the main typing area. This is why the layout of the FC660C is so appealing -- it has dedicated arrow keys and a nearly standard layout in a 60+% form factor.

It seems that there are many who agree that the keycaps on the FC660C leave much to be desired. They appear to be laser-etched with an infill of yellowish gold lettering on a chocolate brown background, which matches the case. To me, the keycaps and case on the FC660C look more brown than black, whereas the case on the FC660M looks black in comparison. Being made of PBT, the keycaps feel good, but the color scheme and method of printing look bad. If the FC660C had the same dye-sub PBT keycaps as those on the white/gray versions of the HHKB Pro 2 or the Realforce 87U/104U, then it would be a winner. Even for those who like blank keycaps, the background color scheme ought to be like that on the white/gray HHKB Pro 2 or the RF 87u/104u.

As for price, relative to other Topre-switch keyboards, the FC660C is attractively priced at 189 USD from EK, but I would submit that all of the Topre-switch boards are overpriced. On the other hand, if I were to purchase a HHKB Pro 2 or RF87u in the white/gray color scheme, I would feel no need to put sets of custom keycaps on them or to put them into custom aluminum cases. By comparison, a customized Poker II would end up costing over 300 USD, and with its Cherry switches, it would still be inferior to any Topre-switch board for typing, IMO.

Like many people, I greatly admire the elegant good looks and compact form factor of the HHKB Pro 2, but I fear that I would find its unique layout and absence of dedicated arrow keys too problematic to be useful.

It would be great if PFU and/or Leopold would come out with sequels that address issues that customers and prospective customers have identified. They might want to continue offering their current models for those who find them entirely satisfactory. In addition, or alternatively, it would be fantastic if Realforce were to produce a new keyboard in the 60+% category that would essentially be a refined Leopold FC660C or hybrid HHKB Pro 2. Either way, I think that customers would pay hefty prices for such keyboards and actually be satisfied with their purchases.

Offline dante

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 14:04:26 »

That is also what's stopping me from buying the board. I really like how the HHKB Pro 2 looks with its sleek design and the choice of white/gray blank PBT keycaps. The fc660c are only in black with those printed keycaps even though they are PBT. They really need to sell them with blank like their FC660M, and in white. I would be all over it. I am a sucker for looks lol.

This is the exact reason why I've held back.  The FC660C carton has potential future options which include White and Unprinted.  I'm waiting on both before pulling the trigger.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 14:10:21 »

This is the exact reason why I've held back.  The FC660C carton has potential future options which include White and Unprinted.  I'm waiting on both before pulling the trigger.
Unfortunately, I doubt that the white version that might be slated for the future will look anything like the white/gray versions of the HHKB Pro 2 or RF87U/104U, and for US customers, it might not be offered by a mainstream vendor such as EK.

As for now, I am typing this on my ugly FC660C because I like the feel of the Topre switches, but I will probably soon go back to my IBM SSK, both for its typing feel and good looks.

Offline dante

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 14:20:35 »

Unfortunately, I doubt that the white version that might be slated for the future will look anything like the white/gray versions of the HHKB Pro 2 or RF87U/104U, and for US customers, it might not be offered by a mainstream vendor such as EK.

As for now, I am typing this on my ugly FC660C because I like the feel of the Topre switches, but I will probably soon go back to my IBM SSK, both for its typing feel and good looks.

EK takes for freaking ever to bring new product in.  It wouldn't break anyone's heart if Realforce/Leopold gave MechanicalKeyboards the rights to their product lines.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 16:17:31 »

EK takes for freaking ever to bring new product in.  It wouldn't break anyone's heart if Realforce/Leopold gave MechanicalKeyboards the rights to their product lines.
My understanding is that it is not up to the dealers; I think that they might be at the mercy of the suppliers.

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 18:04:34 »

Show Image

OMG!
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline Sniping

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 18:43:02 »

I think you're going to be waiting for a while then. I know they have those options listed but so far they've only come up with the blank version for the MX FC660M in black only. I heard something about they having trouble printing on white keycaps, which is holding them back from releasing it but I think that's a bit dumb because everyone wants the blank white version anyways  ;D You should just buy a black one now and sell it later if a white one comes out, there's no point in waiting.

Offline dante

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 18:45:57 »

I think you're going to be waiting for a while then. I know they have those options listed but so far they've only come up with the blank version for the MX FC660M in black only. I heard something about they having trouble printing on white keycaps, which is holding them back from releasing it but I think that's a bit dumb because everyone wants the blank white version anyways  ;D You should just buy a black one now and sell it later if a white one comes out, there's no point in waiting.

That's not true.  FC660M's are available in Graphite with blank keycaps.  Taobao has a store that is selling blank graphite and white keycaps for the FC660M.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 18:57:25 »

That's not true.  FC660M's are available in Graphite with blank keycaps.  Taobao has a store that is selling blank graphite and white keycaps for the FC660M.
Note that FC660M keyboards are being produced by two different factories: Leopold in Korea and Leopold-China. Some say that the quality control in the Leopold Korea site is better, although it would be of interest to see a proper study with rigorous statistical evaluation.

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 21:17:15 »
Note that FC660M keyboards are being produced by two different factories: Leopold in Korea and Leopold-China. Some say that the quality control in the Leopold Korea site is better, although it would be of interest to see a proper study with rigorous statistical evaluation.

How do you know which factory produced yours?
87u || Poker 2

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 08:56:33 »

How do you know which factory produced yours?
The label on the bottom of the FC660M keyboard will say either Made in Korea or Leopold-China. The label on the bottom of the FC660C keyboard will say, Designed by Leopold, Inspected in Japan, and Made in China.

Offline muad

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 01:00:10 »
Well I bit the bullet and picked up an fc660c before they sell out again. I toyed with the idea of getting an hhkb but I found with my poker II that I would have to get used to an fn layer. I don't really want to get used to a non standard layout as that would hinder me in RL. I find the fc660m requires minimal fn use so it should not have any detrimental effect on my muscle memory. I love the fc660m layout but I want the standard shaped keycaps instead of the flatter m version caps. I'll keep the m for beach (lan) parties and as a backup. Now to sell my poker II and try and get out of this hobby...

Offline therecorder

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 08:17:15 »
Bought two sets of Realforce keycaps to do "Candy Corn" - Thought some people would want to see the Candy Corn "Invert" that I did on my FC660C (with the remaining caps).  The right "Shift" is the left "Shift" from the Realforce 87UB.  Not much can be done with the 6 keys on the bottom row.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 08:57:02 »
Just to chime in, I have the 660c, a Realforce, and previously a HHKB 2 Pro. (Along with dozens of cherry and alps boards)

The 660C is my favorite board of all time, period.  Not "for the money", I mean if I had a billion dollars and could pick one factory board, this is it.

The lack of dye-sub keycaps is a fair criticism, but is only a cosmetic thing... At least the keycaps feel great. I do hope they have more options later.

I loved my HHKB too. The biggest complaint was the arrow cluster. I don't mind them being on a second layer, I just despise where they put them. (I tried for months, never really clicked.) that said, I recently discovered the TMK programmable controller, so perhaps I'll try it again and do my own mappings.

Just my two cents. I've shared this over and over, but I'm just so happy Leopold did this board. :-)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 10:20:22 »
Just to chime in, I have the 660c, a Realforce, and previously a HHKB 2 Pro. (Along with dozens of cherry and alps boards)

The 660C is my favorite board of all time, period.  Not "for the money", I mean if I had a billion dollars and could pick one factory board, this is it.

The lack of dye-sub keycaps is a fair criticism, but is only a cosmetic thing... At least the keycaps feel great. I do hope they have more options later.

I loved my HHKB too. The biggest complaint was the arrow cluster. I don't mind them being on a second layer, I just despise where they put them. (I tried for months, never really clicked.) that said, I recently discovered the TMK programmable controller, so perhaps I'll try it again and do my own mappings.

Just my two cents. I've shared this over and over, but I'm just so happy Leopold did this board. :-)

I really appreciate your comments. I've been looking for assessments from folks who have actually tried the major Topre-switch boards (RF, HHKB Pro 2, and the recent Leopold FC660C). Glad to know how much you appreciate the FC660C, and it is helpful to know why the HHKB Pro 2 did not work for you.

Perhaps if I did not already own an IBM SSK in excellent condition, I might adopt the Leopold FC660C as my daily driver. Certainly, the FC660C is better than any of the Cherry-switch boards I have tried, which include quite a long list and several different Cherry switches. However, by my appraisal at least, the FC660C is not up to the standard of the IBM SSK in terms of build quality, overall fit and finish, typing feel, typing accuracy and speed, and quality of the keycaps.

I am hoping that Leopold will introduce a revised edition of the FC660C or that other quality companies, such as PFU or Realforce, will come out with a new mini-keyboard similar to the FC660C that addresses some of the remaining issues, including high-quality dye-sub PBT keycaps.

I really wanted the FC660C to work for me, and I used it for about a week and a half before reverting to my IBM SSK. However, I will keep my eye open for a revised FC660C, a HHKB Pro 3, or a new mini-keyboard from Realforce.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 10:48:35 »
Yeah, the main thing is that keyboards are subjective.  I have a SSK and I'm horribly slow on it, and really don't like the feel.  I should sell it, but kind of feel like I'd be a half-ass collector if I didn't have it. ;-p

It's kind of shocking how much money you need to spend to find your perfect board.  (Which is why we need more local meetups and temporary-trades perhaps?)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:05:51 »
Yeah, the main thing is that keyboards are subjective.  I have a SSK and I'm horribly slow on it, and really don't like the feel.  I should sell it, but kind of feel like I'd be a half-ass collector if I didn't have it. ;-p

It's kind of shocking how much money you need to spend to find your perfect board.  (Which is why we need more local meetups and temporary-trades perhaps?)

If you selling the SSK...let me know.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 17:29:35 »
Bought two sets of Realforce keycaps to do "Candy Corn" - Thought some people would want to see the Candy Corn "Invert" that I did on my FC660C (with the remaining caps).  The right "Shift" is the left "Shift" from the Realforce 87UB.  Not much can be done with the 6 keys on the bottom row.

Love the colours :)

I mean, how can you go wrong with yellow and orange?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 21:43:27 »
I have both, the FC660M and the FC660C. By far, the FC660C is the superior board, because of its Topre switches.
Don't agree. MX board feels more solid. 660C feels like a cheap toy in comparison. Then again I have never been impressed by the feel nor quality of Topre boards.

MIC 660M have a different box.

Edit: the above post is typed on a 87U.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 21:57:57 »
I have both, the FC660M and the FC660C. By far, the FC660C is the superior board, because of its Topre switches.
Don't agree. MX board feels more solid. 660C feels like a cheap toy in comparison. Then again I have never been impressed by the feel nor quality of Topre boards.

That makes me feel nice about wanting to order a FC660C :P

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 22:03:50 »
Still just waiting on my refund check so I can pay for either. I would buy both at the same time but I still gotta save some money. Ugh the decisions. It would be weird having two boards that look identical (changed most of the caps on my FC660M to blank PBT keycaps...but they are going to go back on my Poker X with ergoclears when TheChemist comes back and tries to fix it). Ugh...asthetic vs function vs price. I just really wanna know if there is a difference in feel in the switches.

Offline muad

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 23:00:38 »
Dammit man! Don't say that, I have a fc660m and just ordered the fc660c yesterday. From a quality standpoint is the fc660c garbage or does it not feel solid relative to the M version?

« Last Edit: Mon, 09 September 2013, 23:02:32 by muad »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 00:04:39 »
Dammit man! Don't say that, I have a fc660m and just ordered the fc660c yesterday. From a quality standpoint is the fc660c garbage or does it not feel solid relative to the M version?

Generally people say the FC660C feels fine.

Have a look at the reviews of it for more details.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline therecorder

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 00:32:00 »
I have 2 FC660Ms and a FC660C.  All are examples of superb quality.  As I have said before, they are both built like small thanks.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 01:33:28 »
Lets not set the standard so low. The quality is just average.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 03:24:55 »
Lets not set the standard so low. The quality is just average.

OK...  I'll bite.  If it's just average, what are some of the things that are average or below?

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 03:49:18 »
660C: Flash on keycaps, scratches on the bottom edges of keycaps, rotated keycaps (all the usual stuff you see on Realforce, but not to this degree). Mr squeaky and flexible case. Scratched plate.

660M: Uneven texture on the keycap mold (look closer, there are flat untextured spots), keycap shrinkage, uneven lasered legend color (more so on the MIC).

It has been awhile since I've seen mine (friend haven't give it back yet), so those are from the top of my head. I am sure there was more. They are not unacceptable in quality, but calling them superb is a gross overstatement.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 04:20:43 »
660C: Flash on keycaps, scratches on the bottom edges of keycaps, rotated keycaps (all the usual stuff you see on Realforce, but not to this degree). Mr squeaky and flexible case. Scratched plate.

660M: Uneven texture on the keycap mold (look closer, there are flat untextured spots), keycap shrinkage, uneven lasered legend color (more so on the MIC).

It has been awhile since I've seen mine (friend haven't give it back yet), so those are from the top of my head. I am sure there was more. They are not unacceptable in quality, but calling them superb is a gross overstatement.

Except, perhaps for some scratches on the bottom of the FC660C keycaps, I haven't seen or experienced any of these things.  On the FC660Ms you really have to look very closely to see what you are referring to.  But, I've seen just as bad or worse on my Realforce and Filco Keycaps.  Superb may be a bit much, but average boards (imho) they are not.  My Keycools and Duckys I would classify as average, but it's all subjective (I guess).

I bought my FC660C from Elite, and my FC660Ms from Qtang.  Perhaps the difference has something to do with batches.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 09:24:02 »
As I have said before, they are both built like small thanks.

thanks

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 10:09:47 »
I would agree that the overall build quality and fit and finish of the Leopold FC660C and FC660M are not superb or excellent. However, considering the entire field of keyboards, I would rank them as above average; 4 out of 5 stars; B rather than A.

In my case, the FC660M was made in Korea, whereas the FC660C was built in China. Although I much prefer the Topre switch model (FC660C) for typing, I would say that the build quality of my FC660M is a bit better than that of the FC660C.

Perhaps the most obvious item for improvement is the keycap set. In particular because Topre keycaps are difficult to find, it would be good if Leopold would commission a dye-sub PBT set for the FC660C similar to the quality and appearance of the sets on the white/gray versions of the HHKB Pro 2 or RF 87U.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 13:25:52 »
I'd call my FC660M and FC660C build quality above average.  Both are well made and solid.  If anything, I think my FC660M is a bit more solid than my FC660C though.  The outer shell flexes less, etc.  (It's plate mounted, so neither flex at all when typing.)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 14:02:40 »

Yes this would be great so I don't keep buying boards just to 'try' them haha  :p

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 18:12:22 »
Well, my FC660C is as heavy and "flexless" than my FC660M (MX Clear).

The keycaps of the FC660C do fade, and I guess the M will do the same. :/

Album here

Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 18:24:29 »

Wait...I read in multiple places that the FC660C had a nonstandard spacebar. The spacebar from a realforce topre set will fit on it? Are the 6 keys at the bottom the only ones that no existing replacements will fit on?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 18:49:39 »

Wait...I read in multiple places that the FC660C had a nonstandard spacebar. The spacebar from a realforce topre set will fit on it? Are the 6 keys at the bottom the only ones that no existing replacements will fit on?
If you look at the images of the FC660C and RF 87U on the EK website, you can see that the spacebars on these two keyboards are of different lengths. So, keycaps from a RF 87U should fit the FC660C except for the bottom-row modifiers, spacebar, and right-shift.

This is quite frustrating, because keycaps for the 87U are also not currently available, and even if they were, they would only be a woefully incomplete match for the FC660C.

I hope that the keycap issue can be remedied soon, but I have not heard of anything being done.

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 18:53:50 »

If you look at the images of the FC660C and RF 87U on the EK website, you can see that the spacebars on these two keyboards are of different lengths. So, keycaps from a RF 87U should fit the FC660C except for the bottom-row modifiers, spacebar, and right-shift.

This is quite frustrating, because keycaps for the 87U are also not currently available, and even if they were, they would only be a woefully incomplete match for the FC660C.

I hope that the keycap issue can be remedied soon, but I have not heard of anything being done.

I'm curious how therecorder fit the custom spacebar on his FC660C then? As for the keyset situation, I'm curious why nobody has tried to organize some type of group buy or something with a custom set specifically for an FC660C. In fact I have yet to see an active Topre Keycap groupbuy. Is there a reason for this?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 19:08:06 »

I'm curious how therecorder fit the custom spacebar on his FC660C then? As for the keyset situation, I'm curious why nobody has tried to organize some type of group buy or something with a custom set specifically for an FC660C. In fact I have yet to see an active Topre Keycap groupbuy. Is there a reason for this?
I think there are at least three issues with this. The first is finding a manufacturer that is set up to make Topre keycaps. The second is finding a critical mass of Topre owners who would like to have custom keycaps. The third is that there are several different Topre-switch keyboards with different sets of Topre keycaps: e.g., the HHKB Pro 2, Leoopld FC660C, and RF boards.

If ever there could be a GB for keycaps for the FC660C, I would definitely be interested.